Start with a trivial improvement!

Marcus Denker-4
One nice way to get in the mood of doing (and at the same time testing the system) is to start
with trivial improvements.

This is especially nice as a "starter" when you never contributed any change to Pharo.

And by trivial I mean *really* mean trivial:
-> a typo in a comment
-> remove a temp not accessed
-> clean out some trivial dead code
-> do a simplistic refactoring of a bad smell, even inside a single method
-> document something
-> structure bad stuff better so it is easier to replace later

Taken in itself, single changes like these have no influence, but:

-> they get you in a mood of doing.
-> they make you feel that Pharo is "owned" by you.
-> take 1000 of those trivialities and they *do* make a difference.
-> next time something bothers you, you will have the context of "I can just fix it".

The critic tools is one way of finding these places, another is to just note down every time
you see a triviality and later go through that list. The bug tracker can be source, too.

Marcus

Re: Start with a trivial improvement!

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
+100

On 10 Oct 2013, at 13:21, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One nice way to get in the mood of doing (and at the same time testing the system) is to start
> with trivial improvements.
>
> This is especially nice as a "starter" when you never contributed any change to Pharo.
>
> And by trivial I mean *really* mean trivial:
> -> a typo in a comment
> -> remove a temp not accessed
> -> clean out some trivial dead code
> -> do a simplistic refactoring of a bad smell, even inside a single method
> -> document something
> -> structure bad stuff better so it is easier to replace later
>
> Taken in itself, single changes like these have no influence, but:
>
> -> they get you in a mood of doing.
> -> they make you feel that Pharo is "owned" by you.
> -> take 1000 of those trivialities and they *do* make a difference.
> -> next time something bothers you, you will have the context of "I can just fix it".
>
> The critic tools is one way of finding these places, another is to just note down every time
> you see a triviality and later go through that list. The bug tracker can be source, too.
>

> <wtfm.jpg>
>
> Marcus

Re: Start with a trivial improvement!

Tudor Girba-2
Thank you, Marcus!

Could you post this on the Pharo blog?

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Start with a trivial improvement!

Uko2
On Oct 10, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you, Marcus!

Could you post this on the Pharo blog?
And put a link to Camillo's guide on bug fixing, so enthusiasts will know how to contribute :)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] Start with a trivial improvement!

Marcus Denker-4

On Oct 10, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Marcus!
>
> Could you post this on the Pharo blog?

Good idea, yes, I will do that.

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Start with a trivial improvement!

good idea
yes for the blog entry

--

"Every thing has its own flow"