Starting Different Image

Joey Gibson-2
I'm using Dolphin Pro 4.latest and when I double-click on an image in
windows explorer to start that image, Dolphin starts up with the image I
used last time, with an error message that it is unable to open the
image that I clicked on. I can't remember the exact message, but there
are no details of why it couldn't open it. If, on the other hand, I open
a DOS window, cd to the image directory and type "start foo.img", then
it starts up correctly on the image that I wanted. Very curious. Even
more curious is that I just tried it on my laptop and the problem is not
there. Both boxen are running Win2k. The laptop is at SP2 and the home
box is at SP1. Has anyone else seen this and if so, how did you fix it?

Joey

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Re: Starting Different Image

Bill Schwab-2
Joey,

> I'm using Dolphin Pro 4.latest and when I double-click on an image in
> windows explorer to start that image, Dolphin starts up with the image I
> used last time, with an error message that it is unable to open the
> image that I clicked on. I can't remember the exact message, but there
> are no details of why it couldn't open it. If, on the other hand, I open
> a DOS window, cd to the image directory and type "start foo.img", then
> it starts up correctly on the image that I wanted. Very curious. Even
> more curious is that I just tried it on my laptop and the problem is not
> there. Both boxen are running Win2k. The laptop is at SP2 and the home
> box is at SP1. Has anyone else seen this and if so, how did you fix it?

No, but, I once managed to confuse myself in transition between two
different 4.x images, and feel pretty lucky that I didn't lose a lot of
work.  The issue was that the most recent image was starting, not the image
I was expecting, and I mangled things slightly as a result.  The luck enters
because it took a lot longer to detect than I'd have liked, but, it was
fairly easy to correct once I realized what had happened.

My advice is to back up (source/image/changes) all of your images before
attempting to fix the problem.  After making the backups, you might want to
save all of your packages and make backups of them too.  After making
backups, I'm not sure what to do.  Does the offending machine maybe have an
older version of the Dolphin VM installed and (more importantly) registered?
OLE View or a similar tool might help.  If it's not an obvious version
problem, then you might need to uninstall/reinstall Dolphin on the offending
machine, but, _please_ ask OA first.

Fast forwarding a bit, I'm wondering what will happen when Dolphin 5.x
associates .img with its VM, and we all want to alternate it with our 4.x
images to move code across to the new version.  All things considered, I
think it was safer to have a small .exe loader that sits in the directory
with the image and lanuches the correct VM, which could of course still be
COM based.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Starting Different Image

Joey Gibson-2
In article <9gtmmf$asi38$[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] says...

> My advice is to back up (source/image/changes) all of your images before
> attempting to fix the problem.  After making the backups, you might want to
> save all of your packages and make backups of them too.  After making
> backups, I'm not sure what to do.  Does the offending machine maybe have an
> older version of the Dolphin VM installed and (more importantly) registered?
> OLE View or a similar tool might help.  If it's not an obvious version
> problem, then you might need to uninstall/reinstall Dolphin on the offending
> machine, but, _please_ ask OA first.

        I've still got some gumshoe work to do, I just wanted to see if
anyone else had experienced this.

> Fast forwarding a bit, I'm wondering what will happen when Dolphin 5.x
> associates .img with its VM, and we all want to alternate it with our 4.x
> images to move code across to the new version.  All things considered, I
> think it was safer to have a small .exe loader that sits in the directory
> with the image and lanuches the correct VM, which could of course still be
> COM based.

        VW does something similar to this. You can launch your images with
visual.exe, but there is also a program called 'visualworks.exe' or
something like that. If you associate your .image files with it, it
reads some magic cookie from the image and launches the correct vm to
run it. Or so they say.