Starting Iliad without gst-remote

ZuLuuuuuu
Hello,

I installed Iliad on GST 3.2.2. I'm able to start it via

Iliad.SwazooIliad startOn:8080

both on gst-browser and gst-remote

but when I invoke gst on my console:

> gst -I iliad.im (an image with Iliad loaded)

and then do

Iliad.SwazooIliad startOn:8080

It doesn't give any error but when I try to go to

http://localhost:8080/browse

the browser says "Waiting for localhost" and does nothing. What might be the problem?
Canol Gökel

Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

Nicolas Petton
Hi Canol!

Can you try:
Processor activeProcess suspend

It should fix the problem.

Nicolas Petton

ObjectFusion S.A.R.L.
Applications web, consulting, design
http://www.objectfusion.fr

Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

ZuLuuuuuu
Hi Nicolas,

It worked, though it prevented me doing other things. I had to ctrl+z to terminate it.
Canol Gökel

Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 08/17/2010 06:35 PM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> It worked, though it prevented me doing other things. I had to ctrl+z to
> terminate it.

"stdin next" might work too, though I haven't tested it.  Just press
"enter" to exit back to the REPL.

Paolo

Yes, it works as well. And pressing enter allows me to quit nicely. Thanks. What is the logic behind this?
Canol Gökel

Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

Mathieu Suen-2
stdin next

It just ask for an input and suspend the REPL since it wait for an input.
When you hit return it consume the stdin and the REPL restart listening the stdin.
AFAIK
        Mth

On Aug 17, 2010, at 6:56 PM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote:
>>
>> "stdin next" might work too, though I haven't tested it.  Just press
>> "enter" to exit back to the REPL.
>>

> Yes, it works as well. And pressing enter allows me to quit nicely. Thanks.
> What is the logic behind this?

Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

Holger Freyther
On 08/18/2010 12:56 AM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Yes, it works as well. And pressing enter allows me to quit nicely. Thanks.
> What is the logic behind this?

The current VM is not pre-emptive so only if one process is yielding another
will run. The --enable-preemptive switch is mostly working though.

Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 02:53, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 12:56 AM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
>

>> Yes, it works as well. And pressing enter allows me to quit nicely. Thanks.
>> What is the logic behind this?
>
> The current VM is not pre-emptive so only if one process is yielding another
> will run.

No, that's not the reason why the REPL blocks I/O.  The reason is simply
that at any time _either the REPL or the VM_ will run, and I/O is obviously
handled by the VM.

Also, the VM _is_ preemptive, despite the ill-named --enable-preemptive.
Semaphores (which include Delay timeouts and I/O events) can and will
preempt the running process.  It is just that the VM will not preempt a
process just because it's been running for some time; that is, the VM is
not time-sharing.

Paolo

On 08/18/2010 03:56 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Also, the VM _is_ preemptive, despite the ill-named --enable-preemptive.
> Semaphores (which include Delay timeouts and I/O events) can and will
> preempt the running process.  It is just that the VM will not preempt a
> process just because it's been running for some time; that is, the VM is
> not time-sharing.

Well, it really depends on your definition of pre-emption. Calling a primitive
to trigger a context is something that I understand as cooperation... :)

On 08/18/2010 10:02 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On 08/18/2010 03:56 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>
>> Also, the VM _is_ preemptive, despite the ill-named --enable-preemptive.
>> Semaphores (which include Delay timeouts and I/O events) can and will
>> preempt the running process.  It is just that the VM will not preempt a
>> process just because it's been running for some time; that is, the VM is
>> not time-sharing.
>
> Well, it really depends on your definition of pre-emption. Calling a primitive
> to trigger a context is something that I understand as cooperation... :)

No, you don't need to call a primitive.  A process sitting on "aSocket
next" will preempt other processes when data becomes available.
Similarly for Delays.

Non-preemptive means basically "you can be sloppy about locks" as long
as there are no yields in a critical section.  This is definitely not
the case in any Smalltalk.

Paolo