Starting Swazoo from GemTools?

Nicolas Petton
Hi guys,

I'm totally new to Gemstone, and I just tried to start Swazoo using the
gem tools:

1. start a gemstone using "startnet && startGemstone"
2. start the GemTools image
3. load Swazoo using "ConfigurationOfSwazoo2 project latestVersion load"
4. Start Swazoo using "SwazooServer demoStart"
5. go to localhost:8888/

but then no answer from Swazoo.

As I said, I'm new to gemstone, so I must be doing something wrong
here.

Thanks,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Starting Swazoo from GemTools?

Paul DeBruicker
On 07/06/2011 12:22 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm totally new to Gemstone, and I just tried to start Swazoo using the
> gem tools:
>
> 1. start a gemstone using "startnet&&  startGemstone"
> 2. start the GemTools image
> 3. load Swazoo using "ConfigurationOfSwazoo2 project latestVersion load"
> 4. Start Swazoo using "SwazooServer demoStart"
> 5. go to localhost:8888/
>
> but then no answer from Swazoo.
>
> As I said, I'm new to gemstone, so I must be doing something wrong
> here.
>
> Thanks,
> Nico

when you do steps 3 & 4 above was it after you logged into the stone and
also done in a gemstone workspace?

Inside the Gemtools image you have to sign in to the running stone then
perform the tasks in a workspace that's connected to the stone.  The
easiest way to check is to see if you're working in a workspace or
browser thats connected to the stone is to see if the title bar mentions
something like G/S[Standard:1].

Le mercredi 06 juillet 2011 à 12:30 -0400, Paul DeBruicker a écrit :

> On 07/06/2011 12:22 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm totally new to Gemstone, and I just tried to start Swazoo using the
> > gem tools:
> >
> > 1. start a gemstone using "startnet&&  startGemstone"
> > 2. start the GemTools image
> > 3. load Swazoo using "ConfigurationOfSwazoo2 project latestVersion load"
> > 4. Start Swazoo using "SwazooServer demoStart"
> > 5. go to localhost:8888/
> >
> > but then no answer from Swazoo.
> >
> > As I said, I'm new to gemstone, so I must be doing something wrong
> > here.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nico
>

> when you do steps 3 & 4 above was it after you logged into the stone and
> also done in a gemstone workspace?
>

> Inside the Gemtools image you have to sign in to the running stone then
> perform the tasks in a workspace that's connected to the stone.  The
> easiest way to check is to see if you're working in a workspace or
> browser thats connected to the stone is to see if the title bar mentions
> something like G/S[Standard:1].

Yes, it was from the gemstone workspace. I also added the Swazoo
repository to the Gemstone MC tool.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

On 07/06/2011 12:33 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Yes, it was from the gemstone workspace. I also added the Swazoo
> repository to the Gemstone MC tool.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

OK.  I have the same problem here in my system.  I can see the server
running in the gemstone process browser but there is no response in
Firefox.

Paul

Re: Starting Swazoo from GemTools?

Dale Henrichs
Hello Nicolas

I'm on vacation this week ...

Swazoo is run differently in GemStone than in Pharo ... For a partial description about what's going on read this blog post[1].

There is a Seaside3.0 workspace[5] that contains a number of useful expressions for working with Seaside3.0. To start swazoo in GLASS use the following expression:

  WAGsSwazooAdaptor startOn: 8383.

The above expression doesn't return (see [1]) so it isn't convenient to run Swazoo directly in your development vm (the GemToosl VM). For most debugging you can can/should run with multiple Seaside server vms[2 & 3] and use continuation based (or remote) debugging[4].

Once you get the hang of it, it isn't that bad ... the upside is that you ca debug production-related errors that are occurring in any of the multiple vms that you are using for your application without having to troll through log files or attach VNC to each of your vms....

Hopefuly this is enough to get you going again...

Dale

[1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/glass-beta-update-working-with-soap-preview/#GsProcesses
[2] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration#Server_Adaptors
[3] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/ControllingSeaside30Gems
[4] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsDebug
[5] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsView
| I'm totally new to Gemstone, and I just tried to start Swazoo using
| the
| gem tools:
|
| 1. start a gemstone using "startnet && startGemstone"
| 2. start the GemTools image
| 3. load Swazoo using "ConfigurationOfSwazoo2 project latestVersion
| load"
| 4. Start Swazoo using "SwazooServer demoStart"
| 5. go to localhost:8888/
|
| but then no answer from Swazoo.
|
| As I said, I'm new to gemstone, so I must be doing something wrong
| here.
|
| Thanks,
| Nico
| --
| Nicolas Petton
| http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Starting Swazoo from GemTools?

Nicolas Petton
Thanks Dale,

I was able to start Seaside with WAGsSwazooAdaptor, and like you said it
didn't return.

So I did a alt+. to interrupt, then stopped the Swazoo adaptor. But that
didn't work (no response in Firefox, like if the port was busy).

The Seaside workspace states that "start Swazoo adaptor ... does not
return. Use #startGemServerOn: in standalone server gem"

What does that mean? How can I use the standalone server gem? If I
understand correctly, GemTools starts a separate gem, then how can I
access the other one?

After reading your docs I'm still a bit confused :)

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Starting Swazoo from GemTools?

Ryan Simmons-2
Try running it from a topaz session.

So from a terminal run

source /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/defSeaside
topaz -l

set user DataCurator gemstone seaside
login

run
WAGsSwazooAdaptor startOn: 8383.
%

Is there any chance with you trying Gemstone that we will see an Iliad port in the future?

On 7 July 2011 13:49, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Dale,

I was able to start Seaside with WAGsSwazooAdaptor, and like you said it
didn't return.

So I did a alt+. to interrupt, then stopped the Swazoo adaptor. But that
didn't work (no response in Firefox, like if the port was busy).

The Seaside workspace states that "start Swazoo adaptor ... does not
return. Use #startGemServerOn: in standalone server gem"

What does that mean? How can I use the standalone server gem? If I
understand correctly, GemTools starts a separate gem, then how can I
access the other one?

After reading your docs I'm still a bit confused :)

Cheers,
Nico

Le mercredi 06 juillet 2011 à 15:38 -0700, Dale Henrichs a écrit :
> Hello Nicolas
>
> I'm on vacation this week ...
>
> Swazoo is run differently in GemStone than in Pharo ... For a partial description about what's going on read this blog post[1].
>
> There is a Seaside3.0 workspace[5] that contains a number of useful expressions for working with Seaside3.0. To start swazoo in GLASS use the following expression:
>
>   WAGsSwazooAdaptor startOn: 8383.
>
> The above expression doesn't return (see [1]) so it isn't convenient to run Swazoo directly in your development vm (the GemToosl VM). For most debugging you can can/should run with multiple Seaside server vms[2 & 3] and use continuation based (or remote) debugging[4].
>
> Once you get the hang of it, it isn't that bad ... the upside is that you ca debug production-related errors that are occurring in any of the multiple vms that you are using for your application without having to troll through log files or attach VNC to each of your vms....
>
> Hopefuly this is enough to get you going again...
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/glass-beta-update-working-with-soap-preview/#GsProcesses
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration#Server_Adaptors
> [3] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/ControllingSeaside30Gems
> [4] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsDebug
> [5] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsView

Thanks, I'll try topaz.

Yes, Dale started to port of Iliad, now I'm trying to get used to
Gemstone to help finishing the port.

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Starting Swazoo from GemTools?

Nicolas Petton
Thanks guys, I was finally able to run Swazoo, looking at the GS
specific code from Seaside.

Then the Iliad port was running in a couple hours only! It was
especially easy because of the Grease layer. We still miss remote
debugging though.

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr