Starting VW 7.7.1 with a larger heap

Alberto Bacchelli
Hi all,

 I had an image with "LargeMemoryPolicy" installed as policy.
It used to work fine. Unfortunately, I had to stop it to change something.
When I try to load it again I get the following error:

VisualWorks(R) 7.7.1 Non-Commercial Jul 26, 2010
src/mman/mmInit.c:1507
Error: Can't initialize OldSpace
Unable to read the image file. File may be truncated.
VisualWorks(R) 7.7.1 Non-Commercial Jul 26, 2010
src/mman/mmInit.c:516
Fatal error.
Insufficient memory to allocate heap.

Would it be possible to increase the starting memory so that it uses
the same policy described in the image from the beginning?

Thank you.

Cheers,
 Alberto

Re: Starting VW 7.7.1 with a larger heap

Andres Valloud-6
The memory policy is likely not involved because, from the VM output,
the image did not even load.  If the image did not load, then no
Smalltalk executed, thus the memory policy (which is part of the image)
did not run either.

 From the messages, though, it looks like the VM had trouble reading the
image file.  The code reports the image file could be truncated, i.e.:
some information is missing from it.  Later on, the VM fails to
initialize this image file reporting there is not enough memory to load
it.  Thus,

How large is the image file you're trying to load?

Where is the image file located?  Is it on a local drive or on remote
storage?

Andres.

On 6 March 2011 20:08, Andres Valloud <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The memory policy is likely not involved because, from the VM output,
> the image did not even load.  If the image did not load, then no
> Smalltalk executed, thus the memory policy (which is part of the image)
> did not run either.
>
>  From the messages, though, it looks like the VM had trouble reading the
> image file.  The code reports the image file could be truncated, i.e.:
> some information is missing from it.  Later on, the VM fails to
> initialize this image file reporting there is not enough memory to load
> it.  Thus,
>
> How large is the image file you're trying to load?

It's 950MB ca.

> Where is the image file located?  Is it on a local drive or on remote
> storage?

It is on the local drive on a Linux machine.

Thank you for replying :)

Alberto

Re: Starting VW 7.7.1 with a larger heap

Andres Valloud-6
Make sure the machine has enough contiguous memory to load that image in
one chunk.  If there is enough memory, then try loading the image with
the debug VM using the switch -o21s and post the output here.