Starting out

12

Starting out

Michael Atkisson
Imagine you are a business programmer, although you have heard of this
exciting new environment called Seaside.

You would like to create forms that operate like the ones you do at work
such as in Oracle Forms.  On further investigation, perhaps you manage
to make it through the tutorials. But when you go to do something real,
behold you discover that some of the most basic components such
displaying a datagrid from rows in a table are missing.  Something that
you probablydo on at least 50% of your forms in Oracle

Next you read the mailing list to see if anyone has a solution to the
problem. You discover that some people are decidely against putting
anything like that in the core because of their purist inclinations.
Others are simply say to go learn one of the javascript libraries
and do it that way. This is also a dilema as you don't know which one
would be good and this stuff isn't all that understandable to you.

You don't know much about html, javascript, css, ajax, etc. and you
probably don't want to spend a year figuring it all out.
All you want to do is solve problems like the ones you have at work in
as straightforward a way as possible.

How much further do you think that person is likely to go?

Re: Starting out

David Mitchell-10
Some people are looking into it:
http://seabreeze.heeg.de/

But if you expect the sort of hand holding you get with a commercially backed product, you should look first to Seaside on Cincom Smalltalk.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Michael Atkisson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sebastian Sastre-2
OK Michael but please understand the fact this community has to prioritize its
limited resources.
Seaside is a fundation to do lots of things. Widgets are just the "skin of the
orange".
I don't want core developer team members to worry about widgets. I want them on
scalability, architecture, robustness, security, etc.
Investing on widgets should not be for Seaside itself but for pieces of software
build on top of it. You are free to make your own widgets.
Every web app has its goals in terms of usability and fortunately for users
(which are real persons) information can usually be presented to them in ways
which has more meaning than tables when some criterious design is applied.
Regardeless of the technology of your choice, if you don't know much about html,
javascript, css, ajax, etc. and don't want to spend *a lot* of time with those,
think again about messing with web apps at all.
Cheers,
Sebastian

My Impression of the responses so far.

Someone might work on these issues some day.
We have either no interest or they are not important enough
to address by the people who actually do the programming
of the seaside system.
We don't care if the system is useful to normal business
programmer types, we only care that it is stable.
Yes, you do have to be a rocket scientist to work on seaside!
Please start your education immediately and come back
when you are ready.

PS: On hand holding issue.  I have never submitted a programming
issue to Oracle yet.  I do have to read their documentation
occasionally.

RE: Starting out

Ramon Leon-5
> Regardeless of the technology of your choice, if you don't
> know much about html,
> javascript, css, ajax, etc. and don't want to spend *a lot*
> of time with those,
> think again about messing with web apps at all.
> Cheers,
> Sebastian

I'll second that, the idea that you're going to do anything well in the web
app space without knowing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is just naive.  Web apps
will likely never be the easy drag and drop build it all in a GUI
environment you see in desktop frameworks.  Secondly, basic HTML and CSS
skills are not difficult to learn, if you can program then you can
understand a couple of simple markup languages with little effort.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: Re: Starting out

Ramon Leon-5
> to make it through the tutorials. But when you go to do
> something real, behold you discover that some of the most basic components
such
> > displaying a datagrid from rows in a table are missing.

This is not a basic component of a web framework, persistence and tables
have nothing to do with web frameworks.  If you want a datagrid, Seaside has
a basic table report, see
http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/WATableReport/index.html

> > problem. You discover that some people are decidely against putting
> > anything like that in the core because of their purist inclinations.

No, it's because the core framework only has a few developers and they
should spend their time on things other than GUI widgets, like the next
version of Seaside and performance and scalability.  Widgets belong in add
on packages, not the core, Seaside is the core.

> > Others are simply say to go learn one of the javascript libraries
> > and do it that way. This is also a dilema as you don't know
> which one
> > would be good and this stuff isn't all that understandable to you.

Ask questions, personally I'd recommend Prototype and Scriptaculous because
they are already well integrated with Seaside via add on packages that make
using them trivial.

> My Impression of the responses so far.
>
> Someone might work on these issues some day.
> We have either no interest or they are not important enough
> to address by the people who actually do the programming
> of the seaside system.

No, it's just that the community is very small and people work on the things
they themselves need the most.

> We don't care if the system is useful to normal business
> programmer types, we only care that it is stable.

If by normal business programmer type you mean someone who doesn't know HTML
and CSS, then you're probably not far off.  It is very useful to normal web
programmer types, but that is after all the target audience.

> Yes, you do have to be a rocket scientist to work on seaside!

No, you don't, but you do have to be patient and ask lots of questions
because there isn't much documentation, not in comparison to other
communities like Rails for example.

> Please start your education immediately and come back
> when you are ready.
>
> PS: On hand holding issue.  I have never submitted a programming
> issue to Oracle yet.  I do have to read their documentation
> occasionally.

Well, you're going to have to ask questions and read the community blogs,
and even the source code and class comments to really get a grip on Seaside.
This isn't your main stream web framework with 100 how-to books, it's
bleeding edge stuff, you have to expect it'll take a little more effort to
get going.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Starting out

Mark Volkmann
On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Ramon Leon wrote:

>> Regardeless of the technology of your choice, if you don't
>> know much about html,
>> javascript, css, ajax, etc. and don't want to spend *a lot*
>> of time with those,
>> think again about messing with web apps at all.
>> Cheers,
>> Sebastian
>
> I'll second that, the idea that you're going to do anything well in
> the web
> app space without knowing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is just naive.

I used to think that until I built a web app. using Google Web Toolkit
(GWT). You really can build nice, Ajax-style web apps. using that will
only knowledge of Java and CSS. GWT compiles Java code to JavaScript
instead of bytecode. Of course Java wouldn't will any popularity
contents on this list. I much prefer Smalltalk over Java. It would be
interesting to see an implementation of GWT based on Smalltalk instead
of Java.

> Web apps
> will likely never be the easy drag and drop build it all in a GUI
> environment you see in desktop frameworks.  Secondly, basic HTML and
> CSS
> skills are not difficult to learn, if you can program then you can
> understand a couple of simple markup languages with little effort.

---
Mark Volkmann

Re: Re: Starting out

jgfoster
Hi Michael,

If your question was simply intended to find out if someone who is
comfortable with Oracle Forms will be able to use Seaside easily, then
I guess that the answer is "no" (in part, since Seaside doesn't have
the resources of a company like Oracle supporting it). If your
question was rhetorical with the intent of shaming the community into
moving in the direction you want, then you aren't likely to make much
of an impact. Since your exaggerations seem intended to provoke a
response (see http://kb.iu.edu/data/afhc.html), you might tell us a
bit more about yourself and how you would like to contribute to the
community.

James

On Dec 17, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Michael Atkisson wrote:

>> Imagine you are a business programmer, although you have heard of
>> this
>> exciting new environment called Seaside.
>>
>> You would like to create forms that operate like the ones you do at
>> work
>> such as in Oracle Forms.  On further investigation, perhaps you
>> manage
>> to make it through the tutorials. But when you go to do something
>> real,
>> behold you discover that some of the most basic components such
>> displaying a datagrid from rows in a table are missing.  Something
>> that
>> you probablydo on at least 50% of your forms in Oracle
>>
>> Next you read the mailing list to see if anyone has a solution to the
>> problem. You discover that some people are decidely against putting
>> anything like that in the core because of their purist inclinations.
>> Others are simply say to go learn one of the javascript libraries
>> and do it that way. This is also a dilema as you don't know which one
>> would be good and this stuff isn't all that understandable to you.
>>
>> You don't know much about html, javascript, css, ajax, etc. and you
>> probably don't want to spend a year figuring it all out.
>> All you want to do is solve problems like the ones you have at work
>> in
>> as straightforward a way as possible.
>>
>> How much further do you think that person is likely to go?
>>

> My Impression of the responses so far.
>
> Someone might work on these issues some day.
> We have either no interest or they are not important enough
> to address by the people who actually do the programming
> of the seaside system.
> We don't care if the system is useful to normal business
> programmer types, we only care that it is stable.
> Yes, you do have to be a rocket scientist to work on seaside!
> Please start your education immediately and come back
> when you are ready.
>
> PS: On hand holding issue.  I have never submitted a programming
> issue to Oracle yet.  I do have to read their documentation
> occasionally.

Re: Starting out

Michael Atkisson

> I'll second that, the idea that you're going to do anything well in the web
> app space without knowing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is just naive.  Web apps
> will likely never be the easy drag and drop build it all in a GUI
> environment you see in desktop frameworks.  Secondly, basic HTML and CSS
> skills are not difficult to learn, if you can program then you can
> understand a couple of simple markup languages with little effort.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

I personally do have a basic knowledge of html, javascript and css.  What I had
to know to get a project done.  But basically all I hear you saying.  you don't
want to put anything in Seaside that would make it easier for someone with
a limited knowledge of these areas to actually do useful work before they
can become experts.

Re: Re: Starting out

drush66

Michael,

I think that you are comparing apples to oranges. Oracle handles one class of problems like a champ. If you have such problem at hand then you should stick toOracle. On the other hand if you would like to build web apps for Internet, you should accept that some things which are trivial in typical forms app require a lot of work. Seaside helps to cut down that amount of work. But unfortunately web apps are such mess that there is still a lot of plumbing that needs to be done on infrastructure, and that's what seaside does well.

James Foster <Smalltalk <at> JGFoster.net> writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
> If your question was simply intended to find out if someone who is
> comfortable with Oracle Forms will be able to use Seaside easily, then
> I guess that the answer is "no" (in part, since Seaside doesn't have
> the resources of a company like Oracle supporting it). If your
> question was rhetorical with the intent of shaming the community into
> moving in the direction you want, then you aren't likely to make much
> of an impact. Since your exaggerations seem intended to provoke a
> response (see http://kb.iu.edu/data/afhc.html), you might tell us a
> bit more about yourself and how you would like to contribute to the
> community.

I was most definately trying to get response.  I am not normally a sarcastic
person.  However, if seaside is going to be the force the communitiy appears
to want it to be, it needs the address some usability issues.

If it gets no response, at least, I have done what I could to provoke some
thought (Probably useless, but at least I did it).  I don't remember anyone
else doing it.

Re: Re: Starting out

david54
I think you and the community have different definitions of "Seaside".  You believe it should include all the widgets.  The community seas Seaside as a core framework for building applications with widgets being provided by add-on packages.  I think we would all love to see more add-on's, but don't expect them to come from the Seaside core team.

-david

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Michael Atkisson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll second that, the idea that you're going to do anything well in the web
> app space without knowing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is just naive.  Web apps
> will likely never be the easy drag and drop build it all in a GUI
> environment you see in desktop frameworks.  Secondly, basic HTML and CSS
> skills are not difficult to learn, if you can program then you can
> understand a couple of simple markup languages with little effort.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

I personally do have a basic knowledge of html, javascript and css.  What I had
to know to get a project done.  But basically all I hear you saying.  you don't
want to put anything in Seaside that would make it easier for someone with
a limited knowledge of these areas to actually do useful work before they
can become experts.

RE: Re: Starting out

Sebastian Sastre-2
>  you don't
> want to put anything in Seaside that would make it easier for
> someone with
> a limited knowledge of these areas to actually do useful work
> before they
> can become experts.

Michael,
Is not a matter of wanting to make anything harder for anybody.
Please consider using your time to face your own challenges as we all do instead
of speculate, wrongly, on community intentions.
You are welcomed to ask concrete questions as you go while surpasing those
challenges.
Cheers,
Sebastian

Re: Re: Starting out

aditya siram-2
I used Seaside and Smalltalk for the first time this summer. It wasn't easy but, unlike some online communities, these folks were willing to talk patiently to a  "dumb-noob". And it was well worth it.

In the beginning, your productivity will take a *huge* hit and your co-workers may even look at you with contempt. Of the many wheels you will re-invent the most frustrating ones (for me) are those that have been implemented in other languages/frameworks and are well-documented and mature - login boxes/user management for instance.

I certainly sympathize with your frustration. And the more innovative your tools, the less the distance between you and the designers,  the harder you have run.

The big win, and for me the one that trumped everything else was the helpful community and that Seaside and Smalltalk are jam-packed with *concepts* not brand-names. The concepts tend to last longer and carry over to many other areas of computer science.

For this reason Seaside will make you better web developer, and Smalltalk will make you a better programmer. But it will be a while before you can impress your boss by delivering on a project that was due "yesterday".

-deech

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Michael Atkisson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll second that, the idea that you're going to do anything well in the web
> app space without knowing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is just naive.  Web apps
> will likely never be the easy drag and drop build it all in a GUI
> environment you see in desktop frameworks.  Secondly, basic HTML and CSS
> skills are not difficult to learn, if you can program then you can
> understand a couple of simple markup languages with little effort.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

I personally do have a basic knowledge of html, javascript and css.  What I had
to know to get a project done.  But basically all I hear you saying.  you don't
want to put anything in Seaside that would make it easier for someone with
a limited knowledge of these areas to actually do useful work before they
can become experts.

Re: Starting out

Stephan Eggermont-3
> From: Michael Atkisson <[hidden email]>
> I personally do have a basic knowledge of html, javascript and css.
> What I had
> to know to get a project done.  But basically all I hear you
> saying.  you don't
> want to put anything in Seaside that would make it easier for
> someone with
> a limited knowledge of these areas to actually do useful work before
> they
> can become experts.

Dear Santa,

I want a nice widget set,
I want less session memory overhead
I want multi-core support
I want 64 bit support
I want better tutorials
I want more tests
I want better documented classes
I want a faster VM, with real closures
I want a new FFI, that can also call java and .net
I want more people to work on Seaside, Squeak and co.

Stephan

Re: Re: Starting out

Gerardo Richarte
David Pennell wrote:
> I think you and the community have different definitions of "Seaside".
>  You believe it should include all the widgets.

maybe he need a list of the available packages providing widgest to use
on top of Seaside.
I would definitely love to see that (together with examples), since I
sometimes feel a little bit lost. I have seen Scriptaculous and others
like Plotkit, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something or not.

    richie

RE: Re: Starting out

Ramon Leon-5
> David Pennell wrote:
> > I think you and the community have different definitions of
> "Seaside".
> >  You believe it should include all the widgets.
>
> maybe he need a list of the available packages providing
> widgest to use
> on top of Seaside.
> I would definitely love to see that (together with examples), since I
> sometimes feel a little bit lost. I have seen Scriptaculous
> and others
> like Plotkit, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something or not.
>
>     richie

http://seaside.st/community/extensions

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Starting out

James Robertson-7
I think the Seaside core developers are concentrating on the right
thing.  The kinds of things you're looking for are being addressed by
vendors:

-- Cincom with Web Velocity
-- Gemstone with GLASS
-- Heeg with SeaBreeze

Bear in mind that Oracle Forms is a commercial product built by a
vendor, so it's not a surprise that Seaside should have a split
between core and value add.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Michael Atkisson wrote:

> Imagine you are a business programmer, although you have heard of this
> exciting new environment called Seaside.
>
> You would like to create forms that operate like the ones you do at
> work
> such as in Oracle Forms.  On further investigation, perhaps you manage
> to make it through the tutorials. But when you go to do something
> real,
> behold you discover that some of the most basic components such
> displaying a datagrid from rows in a table are missing.  Something
> that
> you probablydo on at least 50% of your forms in Oracle
>
> Next you read the mailing list to see if anyone has a solution to the
> problem. You discover that some people are decidely against putting
> anything like that in the core because of their purist inclinations.
> Others are simply say to go learn one of the javascript libraries
> and do it that way. This is also a dilema as you don't know which one
> would be good and this stuff isn't all that understandable to you.
>
> You don't know much about html, javascript, css, ajax, etc. and you
> probably don't want to spend a year figuring it all out.
> All you want to do is solve problems like the ones you have at work in
> as straightforward a way as possible.
>
> How much further do you think that person is likely to go?

Re: Starting out

Tony Giaccone-2
Michael,

I read your posting and I had to laugh a little.  I work full time
during the day building web based applications in Java with a
relational database supporting the storage and delivery of data. I
work in about as corporate and conservative an environment that you
could imagine. Security is key, reducing risk is key, standards are key.

Our management believes that using standard industry accepted
technology keeps them safe, and secure and minimizes expenses.

We use JBOSS as our application server. "Why?" you ask.  Because we
can get a support contract from Red Hat for it. Never mind what we do
would more than adequately be supported by Tomcat, but we take the
safe route with corporate support.

We're probably a bit extreme, but not as bad as some of the other
places, I've worked.

The possibility of bringing in Seaside and Smalltalk in our
environment, is about zero. Not for any of the reasons you mention.
Professionally I think what seaside brings to the table could easily
be a huge advantage in many of our smaller projects. Quick rapid
prototyping of a sophisticated application in with a development
environment that, mostly, works with you  not against you (ask me
about my frustrations with eclipse and maven sometime).

Where's the support contract? Where's the industry acceptance? Where
can I hire 5 experienced Seaside developers in the next week.  How do
I scale a Seaside application? How do I manage multiple instances of
Seaside integrated with BigIP? Where are the articles in Information
Week about successful deployments with Seaside?  All of those are
barriers to entry for Seaside in Corporate America.

Seaside does not stand in your way of getting work done. It may not
give you all the most sophisticated widgets and doo dahs' to ease your
development tasks, but I am extremely certain that it will not get in
the way of doing the work you need to do, and that once you've built
up a library of your own gadgets, you'd be able to go from
requirements to finished web sites  very quickly.

But I think the biggest issue is that currently you have to be
motivated, good at what you do, and a step above the average
programmer in CA to see the advantages of Seaside, and be successful
with it.  Seaside at this point is not visible enough to pass the
Corporate America Risk test. (Are my peers using it? Have I read
enough about it? Am I risking my career by choosing it?).

The current situation with WebDevelopment is a Big Ball of Mud.
There's a thousand different possible solutions, all in varying states
of sophistication. In order to do real sophisticated web development
you need to know a bunch of different technologies, HTML, JavaScript,
XML, SOAP, CSS, AJAX, are probably the basics, but then you can go way
beyond that as well.  For example start looking at the differences in
the implementation of the HTTP and CSS specs by each browser, and how
IE differens from Firefox. (oy vey).

I can almost certainly guarantee that if you're building web pages
with Oracle Forms, then Seaside is not in the near future, if ever,
going to be a suitable replacement for what you have.  in the same way
that you'll not likely replaces Visual Basic programs with XWindows/C+
+ programs.  Oracle Forms glosses over many of the grungy details,
which you don't want to know about and probably don't care to know
about.

Enjoy Seaside and understand that it has strengths and weaknesses.  If
you want to really understand the HTTP Protocol, the details of how
data moves back and forth between your web browser and your
application, you can discover that with Seaside. If you want to just
build something cool and avoid most of that you can do that too with
Seaside, but you won't get the hand holding that Orcacle can provide
because they have 1000's of your dollars in licensing fees and product
purchases.

Now, having said all that, I know there are companies that support
seaside, I know that there are people using seaside to develop
sophisticated applications used by the general public. I know that
some folks are making a living doing seaside development work. It's
all possible, but you have to work in a very open environment and not
the typical corporate american IT world to live life on that edge.

Tony Giaccone

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://seaside.st/community/extensions

That's a good page.  It probably should have a link to the projects page.  Projects is already linked to extensions.

-david

12