Starting with Pier

Andres Fortier-2
Hi list!
<intro>
I need a CMS for a job and I thought about trying Pier. So, my point
is that even though I work with Smalltalk every day, I'm willing to
use Pier mainly as an end user. Of course if in the future I need
complex controls I would program them, but for the time being I would
like to just act as an end user.
</into>

I've been reading some of the posts in the list (and checked
presentations slides), but I'm having still kind of dizzy about
where/how to start. So, I've bee thinking that maybe the best way to
go is to take little steps based on my requirements and document them
so that hopefully I can leave something useful for others. And of
course I need the lists help :)

Ok, so far I've downloaded the squeak one-click experience and it
works ok. Now the next things I need to do are:
1. Remove, at least for the not-logged user, all the menus, the search
box, etc.
and
2. Add a blog component.

So, basically my first step is to just set up a blog.
Once that is done, the next things I would need are:
1. Disabling comments, so that only the original posts are allowed.
2. Styling the page.

So, any help on how to do this would be really appreciated.

              Andrés

Re: Starting with Pier

stéphane ducasse-2
I hope that the video made by james robertson will be available
because doru showed how to get started with pier?

Stef
On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:18 PM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list!
> <intro>
> I need a CMS for a job and I thought about trying Pier. So, my point
> is that even though I work with Smalltalk every day, I'm willing to
> use Pier mainly as an end user. Of course if in the future I need
> complex controls I would program them, but for the time being I would
> like to just act as an end user.
> </into>
>
> I've been reading some of the posts in the list (and checked
> presentations slides), but I'm having still kind of dizzy about
> where/how to start. So, I've bee thinking that maybe the best way to
> go is to take little steps based on my requirements and document them
> so that hopefully I can leave something useful for others. And of
> course I need the lists help :)
>
> Ok, so far I've downloaded the squeak one-click experience and it
> works ok. Now the next things I need to do are:
> 1. Remove, at least for the not-logged user, all the menus, the search
> box, etc.
> and
> 2. Add a blog component.
>
> So, basically my first step is to just set up a blog.
> Once that is done, the next things I would need are:
> 1. Disabling comments, so that only the original posts are allowed.
> 2. Styling the page.
>
> So, any help on how to do this would be really appreciated.

>              Andrés

Re: Starting with Pier

Andres Fortier-2
Hi stef, thanks for the quick response. I checked out doru's slides of
ESUG 08 but they weren't of much help. I'll try to find the video then.

Thanks again,
                      Andrés

stéphane ducasse escribió:

> I hope that the video made by james robertson will be available
> because doru showed how to get started with pier?
>
> Stef
> On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:18 PM, Andres Fortier wrote:
>
>> Hi list!
>> <intro>
>> I need a CMS for a job and I thought about trying Pier. So, my point
>> is that even though I work with Smalltalk every day, I'm willing to
>> use Pier mainly as an end user. Of course if in the future I need
>> complex controls I would program them, but for the time being I would
>> like to just act as an end user.
>> </into>
>>
>> I've been reading some of the posts in the list (and checked
>> presentations slides), but I'm having still kind of dizzy about
>> where/how to start. So, I've bee thinking that maybe the best way to
>> go is to take little steps based on my requirements and document them
>> so that hopefully I can leave something useful for others. And of
>> course I need the lists help :)
>>
>> Ok, so far I've downloaded the squeak one-click experience and it
>> works ok. Now the next things I need to do are:
>> 1. Remove, at least for the not-logged user, all the menus, the search
>> box, etc.
>> and
>> 2. Add a blog component.
>>
>> So, basically my first step is to just set up a blog.
>> Once that is done, the next things I would need are:
>> 1. Disabling comments, so that only the original posts are allowed.
>> 2. Styling the page.
>>
>> So, any help on how to do this would be really appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>              Andrés

Re: Starting with Pier

keith1y

>>> So, basically my first step is to just set up a blog.
>>> Once that is done, the next things I would need are:
>>> 1. Disabling comments, so that only the original posts are allowed.
>>> 2. Styling the page.
>>>
>>> So, any help on how to do this would be really appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>              Andrés

There is a package Pier-Jetsam-Environment whose purpose is to place all
of the setup and configuration for an instance of pier under the control
of the root frame component that you choose in /seaside/config, or that
you embed in your seaside application. This configuration includes...

css, javascript libraries (e.g NiftyCorners, Scriptaculous etc), default
environment, initialization of custom environments, the forbidden
request page, the "settings" parameters for pages etc.

It is a bit experimental, but works for me so it is current code.

There is a frame component which provides the traditional admin
interface complete with tree view, and there is a frame component which
supports the Content with style css framework. see:
http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/17/ and there is a standard
frame component which supports blueprint css.

The simplest way to set up a basic pier site is to have two
applications, one for users and an authenticated one for admins.

best regards

Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

Andres Fortier-2
Thanks for info Keith! I'll try it next week and see what can I do.

Best regards,
                     Andrés

Keith Hodges escribió:

> There is a package Pier-Jetsam-Environment whose purpose is to place all
> of the setup and configuration for an instance of pier under the control
> of the root frame component that you choose in /seaside/config, or that
> you embed in your seaside application. This configuration includes...
>
> css, javascript libraries (e.g NiftyCorners, Scriptaculous etc), default
> environment, initialization of custom environments, the forbidden
> request page, the "settings" parameters for pages etc.
>
> It is a bit experimental, but works for me so it is current code.
>
> There is a frame component which provides the traditional admin
> interface complete with tree view, and there is a frame component which
> supports the Content with style css framework. see:
> http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/17/ and there is a standard
> frame component which supports blueprint css.
>
> The simplest way to set up a basic pier site is to have two
> applications, one for users and an authenticated one for admins.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

squeakman
Keith Hodges wrote:

> The simplest way to set up a basic pier site is to have two
> applications, one for users and an authenticated one for admins.

Can you elaborate on this please.

By two applications, do you mean two Seaside applications?

I am assuming that each application uses the same Pier Kernel? If yes
then how does one configure this?

How do you set up one application to be authenticated, is it by using
WAAuthConfiguration?

Thanks,
Frank

Re: Starting with Pier

keith1y
Squeaker wrote:

> Keith Hodges wrote:
>

>> The simplest way to set up a basic pier site is to have two
>> applications, one for users and an authenticated one for admins.
>>

> Can you elaborate on this please.
>
> By two applications, do you mean two Seaside applications?

Yes
> I am assuming that each application uses the same Pier Kernel? If yes
> then how does one configure this?

You add the PRPierConfiguration to each application. There is a
configuration option to select which PRKernel is used.
> How do you set up one application to be authenticated, is it by using
> WAAuthConfiguration?

Yes correct, for this basic setup you do not really need the PRSecurity
package.
> Thanks,
> Frank

regards

Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

Andres Fortier-2
Hi Keith,
               I seem to be having a dependency problem when loading
Pier-Jetsam-Environment from http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons
(error attached below). Sorry if this is an obvious thing, I'm not
used to work with Monticello.

This package depends on the following classes:
   WACss
   PRPierMain
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
these definitions:
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary classSide>>settingsDescription
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>borderContentsPreformatted
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorAnchor
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorBodyText
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorBoxBackground
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorBroken
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorFooterBackground
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorHeaderBackground
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorHeaderTab
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorHeaderTabActive
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorHeaderTabAnchorActive
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorHeaderTabAnchors
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorHeaderTitle
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorPreformattedBackground
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorProtected
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorSearchBackground
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorSearchBackgroundSelected
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorSearchBorder
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>colorValidationMessage
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css0500layout
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css1000Basic
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css1500Header
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css1600HeaderTabs
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css1700HeaderSearch
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css2000Box
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css4000Contents
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css5000Footer
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>css6000PatchBluePrint
   PRPierFrameAdminLibrary>>pencilLogoPng
   PRPierMain>>forbidden:
   PRPierMain>>kernelRoot
   PRPierMain>>start:

Thanks,
             Andrés

Keith Hodges escribió:

> There is a package Pier-Jetsam-Environment whose purpose is to place all
> of the setup and configuration for an instance of pier under the control
> of the root frame component that you choose in /seaside/config, or that
> you embed in your seaside application. This configuration includes...
>
> css, javascript libraries (e.g NiftyCorners, Scriptaculous etc), default
> environment, initialization of custom environments, the forbidden
> request page, the "settings" parameters for pages etc.
>
> It is a bit experimental, but works for me so it is current code.
>
> There is a frame component which provides the traditional admin
> interface complete with tree view, and there is a frame component which
> supports the Content with style css framework. see:
> http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/17/ and there is a standard
> frame component which supports blueprint css.
>
> The simplest way to set up a basic pier site is to have two
> applications, one for users and an authenticated one for admins.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

keith1y
Ah, yes Pier-Environment-Jetsam depends upon Seaside28Jetsam from
squeaksource.com/Jetsam

Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

Andres Fortier-2
Maybe something else is missing? After loading Seaside28Jetsam-kph.70
when trying to load Pier-Jetsam-Environment-kph.17 I get:

This package depends on the following classes:
   PRPierMain
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
these definitions:
   PRPierMain>>forbidden:
   PRPierMain>>kernelRoot
   PRPierMain>>start:

Any hints?

Thanks in advance,
                              Andrés

Keith Hodges escribió:
> Ah, yes Pier-Environment-Jetsam depends upon Seaside28Jetsam from
> squeaksource.com/Jetsam
>
> Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

keith1y
Andres Fortier wrote:

> Maybe something else is missing? After loading Seaside28Jetsam-kph.70
> when trying to load Pier-Jetsam-Environment-kph.17 I get:
>
> This package depends on the following classes:
>    PRPierMain
> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
> these definitions:
>    PRPierMain>>forbidden:
>    PRPierMain>>kernelRoot
>    PRPierMain>>start:
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>              Andrés

PRPierMain is part of Pier-Seaside  which is part of the base Pier.

Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

Andres Fortier-2
Thanks for the quick response Keith. I've downloaded the one-click
image, where Pier seems to be running ok. I also tried updating to the
latest Pier-Seaside version (Pier-Seaside-tg.306) and yet the
PRPierMain class is not in my image. Could you tell me which package
should I load?

Thanks again,
                        Andrés

Keith Hodges escribió:

> Andres Fortier wrote:
>> Maybe something else is missing? After loading Seaside28Jetsam-kph.70
>> when trying to load Pier-Jetsam-Environment-kph.17 I get:
>>
>> This package depends on the following classes:
>>    PRPierMain
>> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
>> these definitions:
>>    PRPierMain>>forbidden:
>>    PRPierMain>>kernelRoot
>>    PRPierMain>>start:
>>
>> Any hints?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>              Andrés
>>
> PRPierMain is part of Pier-Seaside  which is part of the base Pier.
>
> Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

keith1y
Andres Fortier wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response Keith. I've downloaded the one-click
> image, where Pier seems to be running ok. I also tried updating to the
> latest Pier-Seaside version (Pier-Seaside-tg.306) and yet the
> PRPierMain class is not in my image. Could you tell me which package
> should I load?
>
> Thanks again,
> Andrés

 I am not yet running with the latest pier, my investigation indicates
that PRPierMain has been removed from more recent versions of
Pier-Seaside. So it appears that you can ignore the error entirely.

Keith

Re: Starting with Pier

Lukas Renggli-2
PRPierMain was required to run Pier on older versions of Seaside. All
the functionality has now been moved to PRPierFrame.

Cheers,
Lukas

On Sep 9, 2008, at 23:30 , Andres Fortier wrote:

> Maybe something else is missing? After loading Seaside28Jetsam-kph.70
> when trying to load Pier-Jetsam-Environment-kph.17 I get:
>
> This package depends on the following classes:
>   PRPierMain
> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
> these definitions:
>   PRPierMain>>forbidden:
>   PRPierMain>>kernelRoot
>   PRPierMain>>start:
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>              Andrés
>
> Keith Hodges escribió:
>> Ah, yes Pier-Environment-Jetsam depends upon Seaside28Jetsam from
>> squeaksource.com/Jetsam
>>
>> Keith

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch