Startup Problem

Patrick Huffer
Hi all - a few days ago I was attempting to understand how status bar items
work, in the course of which I was playing around with assigning various
expressions to the "getTextBlock" aspect of a status bar item, thinking that
I had to assign a method here in order to display a message in the status
bar, but not really knowing what I was doing. Anyway, something went wrong
and ever since, every time I start up Dolphin, I get a walkback with the
message "String does not understand #showStatus". (#showStatus was a method
I was trying to use to display a message in the status bar). After a few
seconds the walkback disappears and the system folder appears as usual. Any
ideas on how I can clean this up so the walkback doesn't appear any more
every time I start up? Thanks...

Re: Startup Problem

Louis Sumberg-2
Patrick,

Sounds like you might have a zombie, i.e., a view with an invalid handle
that hasn't been garbage collected.  Try clicking on the "Panic" button (the
icon with the face) in the main Dolphin window.  That will forcibly close
all open windows, including the zombie view.

-- Louis

Re: Startup Problem

Bill Schwab-2
Patrick,

> Hi all - a few days ago I was attempting to understand how status bar
items
> work, in the course of which I was playing around with assigning various
> expressions to the "getTextBlock" aspect of a status bar item, thinking
that
> I had to assign a method here in order to display a message in the status
> bar, but not really knowing what I was doing. Anyway, something went wrong
> and ever since, every time I start up Dolphin, I get a walkback with the
> message "String does not understand #showStatus". (#showStatus was a
method
> I was trying to use to display a message in the status bar). After a few
> seconds the walkback disappears and the system folder appears as usual.
Any
> ideas on how I can clean this up so the walkback doesn't appear any more
> every time I start up? Thanks...

The first thing that comes to mind: backups that you hopefully made (see the
Wiki for instructions if you're not sure how to do it); ordinarily with
something like this I restore a clean system from a backup that I make
before starting something that I think might go wrong.  If that's not an
option or you simply want to try to fix it, you might be able to edit the
resource to restore the default value to fix it "for next time", or you
might define String>>showStatus to answer self(???) though that could just
as easily get into trouble a couple of message sends later than what you
have now.  It's also possible that you have a zombie view, and that the
scream/panic button on the system folder will fix it - note that you should
save any text in workspaces etc. before panicing the image.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Startup Problem

Patrick Huffer
Hitting the panic button did the trick - thanks Louis and Bill!