State of Pharo in comparison with the "Pharo vision" document

1 message Options

State of Pharo in comparison with the "Pharo vision" document

Julien Delplanque
Hello everyone,

For a university project I need to write a little about Pharo.
I found the "Pharo vision" document [1] and I am curious about
the actual state of Pharo in comparison with it.

I have seen some things on the mailing list but I would like some
help to gather the state of each goal described in "Pharo vision"
version 1.0.

I made a list with the goals and wrote some of the (little) knowledge I
have about some elements (I also joined it to this mail in case it is not
readable):

Goals -> State
-------------------
1.  Creation of the Pharo Consortium -> Created
2.  Small kernel & validated packages -> ?
3.  A Robust and Extensible System Events -> ?
4.  Rewrite of Filesystem/Streams -> ?/XStream?
5.  Announcements and Ephemerons -> ?
6.  UI Canvas for Zoomable Interfaces -> Bloc?
7.  Bootstrap of the Core -> ?
8.  Fully parametrized compiler tool chain -> ?
9.  Packages as real objects -> ?
10. Package Meta-Data -> PackageManifest?
11. Less Model Clutter and Duplication -> ?
12. Building and Reusing UI Logic -> Spec?
13. New Network Layer -> ?
14. Serializers -> Fuel
15. SystemChangeNotifier replacement -> ?
16. Cleaning Morphic -> Still valid? (asking because of Bloc existance)
17. Everybody should be able to compile VMs -> ?
18. VMs identification and regression testing -> ?
19. One Unified FFI framework -> Created and still being enhanced
20. 64 Bits -> I saw the screenshot on Twitter but what is the state now?
21. New Object Formats -> ?

If some of you know the state of one or many of these project and have the
time to give me some information about it/them, I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Links:
[1]: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30434/PharoVision.pdf