State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

simondenier
I would like to know what's the state of the art when it comes to tests in Pharo. What are the habits? The best practices? Is there any ongoing development?

I stumble upon that this morning (through twitter)
http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/09/13/checking-squeak-quickly

Especially, I am interested in the following topics:

- any framework to perform BDD?
What's the status of SSpec?
I also saw that Sean was starting to play with Cucumber, I would be very interested to see that

- developing a Seaside app in TDD/BDD mode?
Is there a tutorial out there about that?
I stumbled upon Seaside Testing, which looks like an interesting layer
http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/TestingComponents/TestingComponents.html

--
Simon Denier

Re: State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

abergel
hapao.dcc.uchile.cl is a mean to assist the testing effort.

Alexandre

On 14 Sep 2011, at 09:13, Simon Denier wrote:

> I would like to know what's the state of the art when it comes to tests in Pharo. What are the habits? The best practices? Is there any ongoing development?
>
> I stumble upon that this morning (through twitter)
> http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/09/13/checking-squeak-quickly
>
> Especially, I am interested in the following topics:
>
> - any framework to perform BDD?
> What's the status of SSpec?
> I also saw that Sean was starting to play with Cucumber, I would be very interested to see that
>
> - developing a Seaside app in TDD/BDD mode?
> Is there a tutorial out there about that?
> I stumbled upon Seaside Testing, which looks like an interesting layer
> http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/TestingComponents/TestingComponents.html
>

> --
> Simon Denier

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

Frank Shearar-3
On 14 September 2011 13:13, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to know what's the state of the art when it comes to tests in Pharo. What are the habits? The best practices? Is there any ongoing development?
>
> I stumble upon that this morning (through twitter)
> http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/09/13/checking-squeak-quickly

I didn't try SqueakCheck out in Pharo, but it should Just Work. I'm
more than happy to get bug reports. (One thing I forgot to do, and
will do shortly, is kill the TheoryTestRunner. It was intended to be a
console test runner, but when I found out how easy it was to integrate
with/extend SUnit, I never bothered developing it further.)

> Especially, I am interested in the following topics:
>
> - any framework to perform BDD?
> What's the status of SSpec?

I worked a bit on SSpec. I gave up: there were a number of references
to classes that don't exist in SSpec, and once I'd cleared those away
I boggled one too many times at some of the things it does (like
raising an exception whose sole purpose is to set a flag, to show that
you do actually have specs for some suite). I never did get a green
bar.

Niko Schwarz's PhExamples [1] stuff looks very interesting, and is on
my todo list to check out.

frank

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/phexample

I recomend you to try Mocketry http://www.squeaksource.com/Mocketry.html . It has nice "mocks" syntax and SSpec-like state specifications which are easilly extendable. See examples on squeaksource wiki part