State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

simondenier
I would like to know what's the state of the art when it comes to tests in Pharo. What are the habits? The best practices? Is there any ongoing development?

I stumble upon that this morning (through twitter)
http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/09/13/checking-squeak-quickly

Especially, I am interested in the following topics:

- any framework to perform BDD?
What's the status of SSpec?
I also saw that Sean was starting to play with Cucumber, I would be very interested to see that

- developing a Seaside app in TDD/BDD mode?
Is there a tutorial out there about that?
I stumbled upon Seaside Testing, which looks like an interesting layer
http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/TestingComponents/TestingComponents.html

--
Simon Denier

Re: State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

ngarbezza
Hi Simon,

I am working on a Cucumber implementation in Pharo, as soon as I have
some working code, I will publish it on Squeaksource to get your
feedback.

I am also thinking of integrating this tool with Seaside Testing, for
doing BDD/outside-in development like in Ruby on Rails.

SSpec seems to be abandoned, but as far as I know, with Phexample
(http://www.squeaksource.com/phexample/) and Mocketry
(http://www.squeaksource.com/@wYyUVbTclnMIsEN3/IAUIW6j3) you can get
the same functionality.

Nahuel.

On 14 September 2011 09:29, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to know what's the state of the art when it comes to tests in
> Pharo. What are the habits? The best practices? Is there any ongoing
> development?
>
> I stumble upon that this morning (through twitter)
> http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/09/13/checking-squeak-quickly
>
> Especially, I am interested in the following topics:
>
> - any framework to perform BDD?
> What's the status of SSpec?
> I also saw that Sean was starting to play with Cucumber, I would be very
> interested to see that
>
> - developing a Seaside app in TDD/BDD mode?
> Is there a tutorial out there about that?
> I stumbled upon Seaside Testing, which looks like an interesting layer
> http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/TestingComponents/TestingComponents.html
> --
> Simon Denier

Re: State of art for testing tools in Pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
HI nahuel

I would be interested in a little chapter on Cucumber, Mocketry, PhExample,
but I will just be able to read and help not to write everything.

Stef

On 14 sept. 2011, at 22:47, Nahuel Garbezza wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> I am working on a Cucumber implementation in Pharo, as soon as I have
> some working code, I will publish it on Squeaksource to get your
> feedback.
>
> I am also thinking of integrating this tool with Seaside Testing, for
> doing BDD/outside-in development like in Ruby on Rails.

Thanks, that's really what I'm looking for. After a few months of Cucumber, I can't imagine diving into a new project without it.

BTW, is the current Seaside Testing loadable in Seaside 3.0.6? I tried to load it from the Metacello conf but it looks like they are not built on the same Pharo (dnu, missing parameters)

--
Simon Denier