State of the latest pier release

Jason Johnson-5
Hello all,

I just set up an image with the latest and greatest of all the
packages, Kom, Seaside, Magritte, Pier.  And now when I look at the
pier site I just see the grey boxes for View, Commands and History,
nothing else shows up.  I browsed the PRKernel and everything seems to
be there, it just wont render.  Could this be due to the environment
changes, or should the latest version work?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: State of the latest pier release

Lukas Renggli-2
Hi Jason

> I just set up an image with the latest and greatest of all the
> packages, Kom, Seaside, Magritte, Pier.  And now when I look at the
> pier site I just see the grey boxes for View, Commands and History,
> nothing else shows up.  I browsed the PRKernel and everything seems
> to be there, it just wont render.  Could this be due to the
> environment changes, or should the latest version work?

it should theoretically work. What versions did you load? Where did
you load it from?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: State of the latest pier release

Jason Johnson-5
I got the latest web-dev image and then used Monticello to upgrade
everything to the latest possible version.  I just wanted to check
with you all first before I get too deep into troubleshooting.  In
cleaning up obsolete references and so on I may have broken a few too
many links.

And while on this subject, has anyone ever noticed a memory leak with
the Pier/Magritte/Seaside combo?  I deleted the PRKernel instance
"pier" (the only PRKernel there was), hit "clear caches" on the
seaside web page 10 times and then did a Smalltalk garbageCollect
about 10 times and still there are all kinds of Pier, Magritte and
Seaside rendering objects all over the place.  I suppose it's not a
big deal, but if clearing the caches doesn't unreferenced this stuff
that should have to references connecting back to the core image, then
I wonder what happens after running a web site for a year.

On Nov 12, 2007 10:19 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason
>

> > I just set up an image with the latest and greatest of all the
> > packages, Kom, Seaside, Magritte, Pier.  And now when I look at the
> > pier site I just see the grey boxes for View, Commands and History,
> > nothing else shows up.  I browsed the PRKernel and everything seems
> > to be there, it just wont render.  Could this be due to the
> > environment changes, or should the latest version work?
>
> it should theoretically work. What versions did you load? Where did
> you load it from?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: State of the latest pier release

Lukas Renggli-2
> I got the latest web-dev image and then used Monticello to upgrade
> everything to the latest possible version.  I just wanted to check
> with you all first before I get too deep into troubleshooting.  In
> cleaning up obsolete references and so on I may have broken a few too
> many links.

The web-dev images are broken. They include incompatible versions of
different packages.

> And while on this subject, has anyone ever noticed a memory leak with
> the Pier/Magritte/Seaside combo?  I deleted the PRKernel instance
> "pier" (the only PRKernel there was), hit "clear caches" on the
> seaside web page 10 times and then did a Smalltalk garbageCollect
> about 10 times and still there are all kinds of Pier, Magritte and
> Seaside rendering objects all over the place.  I suppose it's not a
> big deal, but if clearing the caches doesn't unreferenced this stuff
> that should have to references connecting back to the core image, then
> I wonder what happens after running a web site for a year.

Only recently Philippe discovered a memory leak with the Seaside
Halos. This might be related. Try evaluating "WAHalo initialize" and
check if this solves the problem?

Cheers,
Lukas

> On Nov 12, 2007 10:19 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jason
>>

>>> I just set up an image with the latest and greatest of all the
>>> packages, Kom, Seaside, Magritte, Pier.  And now when I look at the
>>> pier site I just see the grey boxes for View, Commands and History,
>>> nothing else shows up.  I browsed the PRKernel and everything seems
>>> to be there, it just wont render.  Could this be due to the
>>> environment changes, or should the latest version work?
>>
>> it should theoretically work. What versions did you load? Where did
>> you load it from?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: State of the latest pier release

keith1y

> Only recently Philippe discovered a memory leak with the Seaside
> Halos. This might be related. Try evaluating "WAHalo initialize" and
> check if this solves the problem?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

oops, didnt realize you guys didnt know about that one... the Gjallar
team had spotted that one.

best regards

Keith

p.s. about persistency no offence taken really, I was just in a bit of a
hurry to go out and pick up my new car, so perhaps I was a little abrupt
and unsubtle in my communication. It was just good to have an
opportunity to remind the world the magma support is out there.

I was very pleased with magma's ability to persist pier structures.

The site on which I was planning to use magma persistency  was postponed
for a year or perhaps two.

I expect to use the Backup scheme on a site this week. This scheme is
the same as Image Persistency except that changes are committed to the
database as a backup.