Status Pharo and PI / ARM

Torsten Bergmann
Back in 2015 I played with Pharo and the PI and wrote an article on Medium about the installation [1].
Today we have new IoT projects like PharoThings [2] and my understanding is that latest ARM VM is
available on [3].

But PI and ARM Support is nowhere mentioned on the pharo.org Website. ARM and PI Support is also not
mentioned in the Download section http://www.pharo.org/download

1. What is the status of the ARM port? Is my assumption correct that it is already built using CI and
   receiving latest VM code changes too?

2. Should it be mentioned already on the Pharo Download page? If so who can add it?

3. Is it already included into ZeroConf so one can easily grab VM+image on a raspbian system
   using commandline?

4. Can we use a recent image like Pharo 7 and Pharo 8 on the PI?

5. Is it possible to remotely access a Pharo image running on PI via TelePharo?
   Is there an updated RFB package for Pharo 7/8 to also use the image via VNCViewer

Thanks for an update...

Bye
T.

[1] https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/pharo-pi-9eef257b6a21
[2] https://github.com/pharo-iot/PharoThings
[3] http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/armv6/

Re: Status Pharo and PI / ARM

Marcus Denker-4
(answers from Allex…)

On 19 Jun 2019, at 13:31, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Back in 2015 I played with Pharo and the PI and wrote an article on Medium about the installation [1].
Today we have new IoT projects like PharoThings [2] and my understanding is that latest ARM VM is
available on [3].

But PI and ARM Support is nowhere mentioned on the pharo.org Website. ARM and PI Support is also not
mentioned in the Download section http://www.pharo.org/download

1. What is the status of the ARM port? Is my assumption correct that it is already built using CI and
  receiving latest VM code changes too?

Yes, currently, the Pharo VM is running on ARM and built using CI.

2. Should it be mentioned already on the Pharo Download page? If so who can add it?

Currently, the ARM VM is being mentioned on the PharoThings repository docs. But yes, it's a good idea to be mentioned in the Pharo Download page too.

3. Is it already included into ZeroConf so one can easily grab VM+image on a raspbian system
  using commandline?

Yes, "wget -O - get.pharoiot.org/server | bash". PharoThings has a dedicated website pharoiot.org, where there are tutorials, videos, books about it. There is a multi-platform zip file that you can download it and run in (Linux, Windows, Mac, Raspberry). All process to generate the zip files is be doing by Travis CI at github.com/pharo-iot/Ci

4. Can we use a recent image like Pharo 7 and Pharo 8 on the PI?

Yes. "wget -O - get.pharoiot.org/server | bash" already comes with Pharo 7 and ARM VM.

5. Is it possible to remotely access a Pharo image running on PI via TelePharo?

Yes, you can access it via TelePharo. You can see details in pharoiot.org. By VNC not yet.
You can see the last improvements on the Pharo IoT project in these slides: https://www.slideshare.net/MrAllexOliveira/pharo-iot-installation-improvements-and-continuous-integration

  Is there an updated RFB package for Pharo 7/8 to also use the image via VNCViewer

You're welcome! Thanks for the report too.

Re: Status Pharo and PI / ARM

Marcus Denker-4

> On 20 Jun 2019, at 07:27, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Allex can you prepare modifications so that we can change the download page and we should add this information somewhere also in the main pharo
> website.

Yes, we were waiting for the website to have all the tutorials… when this is done it needs to be officially announced  and linked on the main page.

        Marcus