Status of Magma on Pharo 1.2

1 message Options

Status of Magma on Pharo 1.2

Miguel Cobá
Hi all,

a lot of messages have been sent asking about the status of Magma on
Pharo and in particular on Pharo 1.2. Here is it.

Magma latest version (1.2) isn't working on Pharo 1.2. This is due to
some changes that Pharo 1.2 have and some changes that Magma 1.2 uses
that only were on Squeak 4.2. As they are very difficult to integrate
now that Pharo 1.2 is out, they are targetted to Pharo 1.3. So, Magma
1.2 (or greater) will only be available to Pharo 1.3.

Now, what if I want to use Magma in Pharo 1.2 right now. Well, your only
option is Magma 1.1r1. Is that bad, I don't think so, as the new
releases of magma are mostly about performance and not about new
functionality. So for a OO database, 1.1r1 is as good as 1.2. So mind
not about it.

Now, to load it, evaluate in a workspace:

Deprecation raiseWarning: false.
Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma)
project version: #stable) load: 'Tester'.

Currenty 1.1r1 is the stable version for Pharo 1.2.x.

Then create a directory for the repo (magma in this case) and evaluate:

MagmaRepositoryController
create: 'magma/'
root: Dictionary new.

Start the magma server

MagmaServerConsole new
open: 'magma/';
processOn: 51969;
inspect.

Connect to magma

(MagmaSession host: 'localhost' port: 51969)
connectAs: 'miguel';
inspect.

In the window opened by the last doit (the connection window) evaluate:

self root inspect

and then

self root at #miguel put: OrderedCollection new

and then again:

self root inspect.

add some value:

(self root at: #miguel) add: 'Hello world'

read that value (print it)

(self root at: #miguel) first  "-> 'Hello world'

Chris Muller is kindly working on the issues found in order to make
latest Magma working in Pharo. When he publishes a new version I will
update the ConfiguratioOfMagma, pointing #stable to the new version.
Until then, 1.1r1 should work.

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá