Step by step contribute

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Reading the tutorial
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo

  * At
    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo#solving-the-detached-working-copy

I don't have Detached Working Copy but uncommited changes.

  * When I create a new branch from issue, should I use origin or pharo
    repo ? When I fill in the issue number with origin I have an
    INVALID-ISSUE title

With pharo-project repo, it fetches the title correctly though. So I
take this one.

  * https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo#step-4-issue-a-pull-request

To push the change, (I need to pull to push?). A question is raised
"pharo has ongoing modifications (uncommit changes) Indeed I did not
commit. It was not mentioned in tutorial. Was it forgotten or do I miss
something? So I commit it.

Ah, now when I create the pull request, it complains the branch does not
exist and I should commit before and push the changes.

Likely I should not have commited in the first place.

What should I do now?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Step by step contribute

HilaireFernandes
hum, with some sort of luck I got it working as it should and in the
process understood a bit the workflow.

In the tutorial, a few words explaining it could be useful to git
newbies as me.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Step by step contribute

ducasse

> On 8 Sep 2019, at 14:12, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Reading the tutorial
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
>  * At
>    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo#solving-the-detached-working-copy
>
> I don't have Detached Working Copy but uncommited changes.
>
>  * When I create a new branch from issue, should I use origin or pharo
>    repo ? When I fill in the issue number with origin I have an
>    INVALID-ISSUE title

you should use the pharo one because this is the one that contains the bug entries

> With pharo-project repo, it fetches the title correctly though. So I
> take this one.

Yes this is correct.

>  * https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo#step-4-issue-a-pull-request
>
> To push the change, (I need to pull to push?). A question is raised
> "pharo has ongoing modifications (uncommit changes) Indeed I did not
> commit. It was not mentioned in tutorial. Was it forgotten or do I miss
> something? So I commit it.

When you push it will check and will pull automatically.

> Ah, now when I create the pull request, it complains the branch does not
> exist and I should commit before and push the changes.

You should
        commit to your fork
        push to your fork
        and do a PR (because the PR is from a branch of your repo to a branch to the pharo repo)

> Likely I should not have commited in the first place.

No committing is always good.

> What should I do now?

What I do in general is
        download latest image
        repair
        in detached copy I do create new branch (I call bottomx…)
        repair
        then I do create branch from issue
        commit
        commit
        push
        then PR

If you need help we can organise a screen sharing session.

> Hilaire
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Step by step contribute

ducasse

> On 8 Sep 2019, at 14:22, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hum, with some sort of luck I got it working as it should and in the
> process understood a bit the workflow.

the workflow is
        your fork pharo
        then iceberg will clone
        you also commit to your working copy

        when you are in trouble select repair
        the items are sorted in order of use probability

        you commit commit commit to your working copy
        then push to your fork
        then PR from your fork to pharo remote

> In the tutorial, a few words explaining it could be useful to git
> newbies as me.
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 08/09/2019 à 14:12, Hilaire a écrit :
>> What should I do now?
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Step by step contribute

HilaireFernandes

Le 08/09/2019 à 14:29, ducasse a écrit :

>> On 8 Sep 2019, at 14:22, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hum, with some sort of luck I got it working as it should and in the
>> process understood a bit the workflow.
> the workflow is
> your fork pharo
> then iceberg will clone
> you also commit to your working copy
>
> when you are in trouble select repair
> the items are sorted in order of use probability

Where?

My scenario is now: I want to resync my P8 installation with its remote
state, so I can work on some fixes. How to?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Step by step contribute

ducasse

On 9 Sep 2019, at 18:39, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 08/09/2019 à 14:29, ducasse a écrit :
On 8 Sep 2019, at 14:22, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

hum, with some sort of luck I got it working as it should and in the
process understood a bit the workflow.
the workflow is
your fork pharo
then iceberg will clone
you also commit to your working copy

when you are in trouble select repair
the items are sorted in order of use probability

Where?

When you do repair.

My scenario is now: I want to resync my P8 installation with its remote
state, so I can work on some fixes. How to?

When you "repair" your image, your repo is resync automatically.
New commits from Pharo are pulled and when you push you push such changes too.
I asked the same and in fact I never resync my fork explicitely since months.