Stic doesn't word as "advertized" (and another bunch of questions)

Stic doesn't word as "advertized" (and another bunch of questions)

vivo
Hi!

Quite a bunch of questions:

1) Stic
Just tried to play a little bit with Stic. According to the Github
Wiki:

   usage: stic <source files>
        -?, -help   prints this message.

But after some debugging I found out: it just executes a single class/
script in

   .../test/smalltalk/st/redline

This script _must_ be a class and all other arguments are silently
discarded.

2) Tests

I didn't find any tests yet. To discern, where you currently are, it
would be really helpful.
How do you test your code?

3) examples

Some Smalltalk code examples would be helpful as well: what works,
what doesn't work yet.

4) REPL
a simple REPL -- even by executing Scripts via Stic -- would be great,
so that
a file with

    3 + 4

would just print "7" (more a "printIt" instead of a "doIt").

5) syntax

what is your planned syntax for defining classes/methods etc. in
source files?

6) general ...
Should I wait some month before checking Redline out again? Currently
it seems to me very "pre-contributable".
The website (http://redline.st/) looked so good, that I was lured to
think you had to be much further along the road :-)

Re: Stic doesn't word as "advertized" (and another bunch of questions)

James Ladd
Please check out the master branch which was pushed this morning and
re-compile with ant before running.

./stic <fully qualified name>

will run your source file

right now, you need to put your source in src/test/smalltalk or a sub folder which corresponds to the
package. See st/redline/Web.st as an example.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM, vivo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

yes, that's what I meant. Sorry, if I wasn't clear enough (I have the
master branch).
the issue is that the Wiki says otherwise

On Aug 28, 7:11 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please check out the master branch which was pushed this morning and
> re-compile with ant before running.
>
> ./stic <fully qualified name>
>
> will run your source file
>
> right now, you need to put your source in src/test/smalltalk or a sub folder
> which corresponds to the
> package. See st/redline/Web.st as an example.
>

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM, vivo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> > Quite a bunch of questions:
>
> > 1) Stic
> > Just tried to play a little bit with Stic. According to the Github
> > Wiki:
>
> >   usage: stic <source files>
> >        -?, -help   prints this message.
>
> > But after some debugging I found out: it just executes a single class/
> > script in
>
> >   .../test/smalltalk/st/redline
>
> > This script _must_ be a class and all other arguments are silently
> > discarded.
>
> > 2) Tests
>
> > I didn't find any tests yet. To discern, where you currently are, it
> > would be really helpful.
> > How do you test your code?
>
> > 3) examples
>
> > Some Smalltalk code examples would be helpful as well: what works,
> > what doesn't work yet.
>
> > 4) REPL
> > a simple REPL -- even by executing Scripts via Stic -- would be great,
> > so that
> > a file with
>
> >    3 + 4
>
> > would just print "7" (more a "printIt" instead of a "doIt").
>
> > 5) syntax
>
> > what is your planned syntax for defining classes/methods etc. in
> > source files?
>
> > 6) general ...
> > Should I wait some month before checking Redline out again? Currently
> > it seems to me very "pre-contributable".
> > The website (http://redline.st/) looked so good, that I was lured to
> > think you had to be much further along the road :-)

Re: Stic doesn't word as "advertized" (and another bunch of questions)

James Ladd

I know how frustrating it can be for documentation to not match the
software, and this week I have been in Edinburgh presenting the latest on Redline
and that has kept me from updating the wiki.

I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused and will update the wiki again
as soon as I return to Australia.

Sure I can do it from anywhere in the world but I need a bit of flow time to
clean out my todo list for Redline.