Stone does not start but Netldi runs ok

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

The GS DevKit installation with GemStone 3.4.1 was running ok. After stoping
the system i can not start it again.

startNetldi devKit_34 "this runs ok"

startStone devKit_34 "this is failing - right now searching a solution"

stopstone[Error]: Server 'devKit_34' is not a stone.
Error on or near line 22 :: stopGemstone  :: stopGemstone
Error on or near line 21 :: startGemstone  :: startGemstone
Error: Shell command:
'/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/server/bin/gs/startGemstone' failed.
GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler class(Object)>>error:
GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler
class(GsDevKitAbstractCommandLineHandler
class)>>runShellCommand:args:noError:
GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler(GsDevKitAbstractCommandLineHandler)>>runShellCommand:args:
GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler>>activate
GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler
class)>>activateWith:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand: in
Block: [ aCommandLinehandler activateWith: commandLine ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleSubcommand
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleArgument:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate in Block: [ self
handleArgument: (self arguments ifEmpty: [ ...etc...
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
PharoCommandLineHandler class>>activateWith: in Block: [ super activateWith:
aCommandLine ]
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess in Block: [ ...
BlockClosure>>newProcess in Block: [ ...
Error on or near line 99 :: devKitCommandLine startstone devKit_34 ::
devKitCommandLine startstone devKit_34
Error on or near line 116 :: startStone devKit_34 :: startStone devKit_34

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Stone does not start but Netldi runs ok

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

After searching a little bit i found:
http://forum.world.st/Re-Error-Stoping-stone-Will-not-restart-td4965680.html
/Also ensure any stale files in /opt/gemstone/locks/ other than
the gemstone.hostid file are deleted. If no netldi nor stones running,
only file gemstone.hostid should exist in /opt/gemstone/locks ./

And deleting some file at /opt/gemstone/locks/ the stone start without
problems.

But the message error "Server 'devKit_34' is not a stone" is a little
confusing :)

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Stone does not start but Netldi runs ok

GLASS mailing list
Bruno,

I would like to see more of the `startStone devKit_34` command output ..
there are several scripts involved and they are invoked from the
devKitCommandLine pharo image I'm particularly interested in the output
thate precedes the `stopstone[Error]: Server 'devKit_34' is not a
stone.` line, as I would like more context ...

Dale

On 12/13/18 4:26 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The GS DevKit installation with GemStone 3.4.1 was running ok. After stoping
> the system i can not start it again.
>
> startNetldi devKit_34 "this runs ok"
>
> startStone devKit_34 "this is failing - right now searching a solution"
>
> stopstone[Error]: Server 'devKit_34' is not a stone.
> Error on or near line 22 :: stopGemstone  :: stopGemstone
> Error on or near line 21 :: startGemstone  :: startGemstone
> Error: Shell command:
> '/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/server/bin/gs/startGemstone' failed.
> GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler class(Object)>>error:
> GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler
> class(GsDevKitAbstractCommandLineHandler
> class)>>runShellCommand:args:noError:
> GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler(GsDevKitAbstractCommandLineHandler)>>runShellCommand:args:
> GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler>>activate
> GsDevKitStartstoneCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler
> class)>>activateWith:
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand: in
> Block: [ aCommandLinehandler activateWith: commandLine ]
> BlockClosure>>on:do:
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand:
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleSubcommand
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleArgument:
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate in Block: [ self
> handleArgument: (self arguments ifEmpty: [ ...etc...
> BlockClosure>>on:do:
> PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate
> PharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
> PharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
> PharoCommandLineHandler class>>activateWith: in Block: [ super activateWith:
> aCommandLine ]
> WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
> WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
> WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
> WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
> WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
> MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess in Block: [ ...
> BlockClosure>>newProcess in Block: [ ...
> Error on or near line 99 :: devKitCommandLine startstone devKit_34 ::
> devKitCommandLine startstone devKit_34
> Error on or near line 116 :: startStone devKit_34 :: startStone devKit_34
>
> regards,
> bruno
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Stone does not start but Netldi runs ok

GLASS mailing list
Glad you figured things out ... as an FYI, the `$GS_HOME/bin/stones`
command runs a `$GEMSTONE/bin/gslist -lc` and the `-c` arg to gslist
cleans up stale lock files ...

I may decide to add a `gslist -c` to the startStone command[1] to avoid
this type of issue in the future ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/223

On 12/13/18 5:07 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After searching a little bit i found:
> http://forum.world.st/Re-Error-Stoping-stone-Will-not-restart-td4965680.html
> /Also ensure any stale files in /opt/gemstone/locks/ other than
> the gemstone.hostid file are deleted. If no netldi nor stones running,
> only file gemstone.hostid should exist in /opt/gemstone/locks ./
>
> And deleting some file at /opt/gemstone/locks/ the stone start without
> problems.
>
> But the message error "Server 'devKit_34' is not a stone" is a little
> confusing :)
>
> regards,
> bruno
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Stone does not start but Netldi runs ok

GLASS mailing list
Dale,

Thanks for the info.

My bad because to check /opt/gemstone/locks/ is the first thing i should
do but the title was little misleading :)

I take note of: gslist -lc

regards,
bruno

El 14/12/2018 a las 14:53, Dale Henrichs via Glass escribió:

> Glad you figured things out ... as an FYI, the `$GS_HOME/bin/stones`
> command runs a `$GEMSTONE/bin/gslist -lc` and the `-c` arg to gslist
> cleans up stale lock files ...
>
> I may decide to add a `gslist -c` to the startStone command[1] to
> avoid this type of issue in the future ...
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/223
>
> On 12/13/18 5:07 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After searching a little bit i found:
>> http://forum.world.st/Re-Error-Stoping-stone-Will-not-restart-td4965680.html
>>
>> /Also ensure any stale files in /opt/gemstone/locks/ other than
>> the gemstone.hostid file are deleted. If no netldi nor stones running,
>> only file gemstone.hostid should exist in /opt/gemstone/locks ./
>>
>> And deleting some file at /opt/gemstone/locks/ the stone start without
>> problems.
>>
>> But the message error "Server 'devKit_34' is not a stone" is a little
>> confusing :)
>>
>> regards,
>> bruno
>>

>> --