Stone new version and importing older databases ...

Stone new version and importing older databases ...

GLASS mailing list

Hello,

consider the situation, where I have a running stone (say 3.3.6) and I import a backup of a 3.3.x (wher x < 6). What kind of database do I have after that ? 3.3.6 or 3.3.x ? Any problems with situations like this ?

Marten

Re: Stone new version and importing older databases ...

GLASS mailing list

Marten,

While not explicitly disallowed, it is not recommended that you do this ... Between any two versions of GemStone it is possible that primitive changes or private method changes (methods beginning with `_`) have been made and restoring from an incompatible version will not protect you from running into unexpected issues ... you should always do a upgrade when moving between GemStone versions to ensure that you are running compatible code ...

Dale

On 10/3/17 1:33 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Hello,

consider the situation, where I have a running stone (say 3.3.6) and I import a backup of a 3.3.x (wher x < 6). What kind of database do I have after that ? 3.3.6 or 3.3.x ? Any problems with situations like this ?

Marten

Re: Stone new version and importing older databases ...

GLASS mailing list

How do I find out the Gemstone version of a backup ?

Marten

Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 5. Oktober 2017 um 01:45 geschrieben:

[...]

Here's a `copydbf -i` report (using `bu info` command):

   File type: backup  fileId: 0   file compressed with gzip
in a backup set with 1 files
   ByteOrder: Intel (LSB first)  compatibilityLevel: 850
   The file was created at: 09/29/2017 11:22:53 PDT
   Full backup started from checkpoint at: 09/29/2017 11:22:52 PDT.
   Oldest tranlog needed for restore is fileId 2 ( tranlog2.dbf ).
   Backup was created by GemStone Version: 3.4.0.

Dale