Store RSS feed

Bruce Badger
It's a funny thing.  I subscribe to the RSS feed for the public Store
and I see lots of people posting all kinds of cool things, which is
jolly good.

However, when I publish new versions of Hyper or Sport (which I have
been doing of late) they never seem to turn up in the feed :-(

Have I done something bad and been filtered out, or is there something
I need to do to be included?

Thanks,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

RE: Store RSS feed

Bob Tucker
 I didn't even know there was an RSS feed for the public store.  How do
you subscribe to it?

It's a funny thing.  I subscribe to the RSS feed for the public Store
and I see lots of people posting all kinds of cool things, which is
jolly good.

However, when I publish new versions of Hyper or Sport (which I have
been doing of late) they never seem to turn up in the feed :-(

Have I done something bad and been filtered out, or is there something I
need to do to be included?

Thanks,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: Store RSS feed

Bruce Boyer
Probably you're confused with me, and banned :)
 - Bruce (the other one)

On 15/06/07, Bob Tucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I didn't even know there was an RSS feed for the public store.  How do
> you subscribe to it?

I subscribe to this:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/store/store.xml

HTH :-)

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: Store RSS feed

Bruce Badger
More on my Hyper and Sport replications to the Public Store repository
not turning up on the RSS feed ...

For a while after I asked before (15th June) my publishes started
showing up in the RSS feed.  Now I seem to have become invisible again
:-(  Is it possible I'm doing something wrong here?

To the master of the public Store RSS feed:  What causes new versions
of pundles to be announced or ignored in the RSS feed for the Cincom
public Store repository?  Thanks.

All the best,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

TextEditor for Math (greek & sub/superscript)

Mike Bielser
Hi all
in my application, I have a text editor component that is hooked up to a
parser (created with SmaCC). Until now, input was ASCII. Now I would
like to be able to enter greek symbols (small and capital letters) as
well as sub/superscripts (it's a math-based app). Does anyone have any
pointers where to start?
At the moment, I am most worried about rendering issues, i.e. the text
component must faithfully and reliably render what the user enters. Do I
need to (should I) look into Cairo/Pango?
Please note that I need a solution that works within VW as I will parse
and process the user's input so any solutions like "hand it over to
LaTeX" or "use MathML in a webbrowser" are a no-no.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Regards
Mike

Re: TextEditor for Math (greek & sub/superscript)

Joachim Geidel
Mike Bielser schrieb am 03.09.2007 22:25:
> Hi all
> in my application, I have a text editor component that is hooked up to a
> parser (created with SmaCC). Until now, input was ASCII. Now I would
> like to be able to enter greek symbols (small and capital letters) as
> well as sub/superscripts (it's a math-based app). Does anyone have any
> pointers where to start?

If you are interested in how to write down a mathematical formula, check
out mathematical modeling languages like AMPL (http://www.ampl.com/, and
google for something like "AMPL tutorial" for information) or the
language used by Mathematica (for non-ASCII input, see
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/InputSyntax.html).

> At the moment, I am most worried about rendering issues, i.e. the text
> component must faithfully and reliably render what the user enters. Do I
> need to (should I) look into Cairo/Pango?

The short answer? Yes. :)

Somewhat longer answer: You can also work with CharacterAttributes and
ComposedText for simple sub-/superscripting (see the parcel
ExtraEmphases in the public repository for examples, e.g. of how to
create sub/superscripts). If you need more sophisticated rendering of
mathematical formulas (as the examples at the bottom of
http://www.pango.org/ScriptGallery), this won't help. Check out how
Firefox renders MathML using Pango - you could try to reproduce this in
VW (or reuse the Firefox code via DLLCC if the licence allows it).

> Please note that I need a solution that works within VW as I will parse
> and process the user's input so any solutions like "hand it over to
> LaTeX" or "use MathML in a webbrowser" are a no-no.

As you mentioned LaTeX: Hans-Martin Mosner has implemented a
Wysiwyg-TeX-Editor in VisualWorks (actually, it's older than VW) called
WysiTeX. See http://www.heeg.de/~hmm/projects/WysiTeX/. The download
link does not work, but you can contact Hans-Martin using the email
address at the bottom of the web page.  So "hand it over to LaTeX" might
be an option after all.

HTH,
Joachim Geidel

Re: TextEditor for Math (greek & sub/superscript)

Mike Bielser
Hi Joachim
I'm aware of AMPL & Mathematica, but I'm actually writing my own
language and need math support...

<snip>

> The short answer? Yes. :)

I started dabbling around with Pango, still trying to understand it...

> Somewhat longer answer: You can also work with CharacterAttributes and
> ComposedText for simple sub-/superscripting (see the parcel
> ExtraEmphases in the public repository for examples, e.g. of how to
> create sub/superscripts).

As a first shot, sub/superscripts might be enough; in the long run not
and that's why I started with Pango.

> If you need more sophisticated rendering of
> mathematical formulas (as the examples at the bottom of
> http://www.pango.org/ScriptGallery), this won't help. Check out how
> Firefox renders MathML using Pango - you could try to reproduce this in
> VW (or reuse the Firefox code via DLLCC if the licence allows it).

This sounds like the most cumbersome road to me, but inspecting how
Firefox uses Pango might provide some insight (and hopefully the
proverbial "Aha" effect).

> As you mentioned LaTeX: Hans-Martin Mosner has implemented a
> Wysiwyg-TeX-Editor in VisualWorks (actually, it's older than VW) called
> WysiTeX. See http://www.heeg.de/~hmm/projects/WysiTeX/. The download
> link does not work, but you can contact Hans-Martin using the email
> address at the bottom of the web page.  So "hand it over to LaTeX" might
> be an option after all.

I'll look into this as well...
Thanks a lot for the pointers!

Mike