Strange behavior

Mark Neagu
Hi everybody,

The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.

I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.

Cheers,
Mark

Finder does strange things.jpg (376K) Download Attachment

Re: Strange behavior

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).

> On 19 Feb 2017, at 12:20, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.
>
> I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark<Finder does strange things.jpg>

Re: Strange behavior

Ben Coman
You might tick Regexp and search for... now$
cheers -ben

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).
>
>> On 19 Feb 2017, at 12:20, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.
>>
>> I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark<Finder does strange things.jpg>

Re: Strange behavior

Mark Neagu

Hi Ben,

It works as you said. It's actually the simplest way when one knows exactly what he/she looks for.

Cheers,
Mark

Le 19 février 2017 à 16:37, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

You might tick Regexp and search for... now$
cheers -ben

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).

On 19 Feb 2017, at 12:20, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everybody,

The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.

I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.

Cheers,
Mark<Finder does strange things.jpg>

Finding now w Regex.jpg (288K) Download Attachment

Re: Strange behavior

Martin McClure-2
I've sometimes thought it would be nice if the Finder were to list any
*exact* match first, then puts the inexact matches below. It would save
considerable scrolling in cases like this.

Regards,

-Martin

On 02/19/2017 03:24 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).
>
>> On 19 Feb 2017, at 12:20, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.
>>
>> I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark<Finder does strange things.jpg>

Re: Strange behavior

hernanmd

This is unfriendly. A Regex checkbox for the two people in the world who can memorize regular expression patterns...

Wouldn't be easier to add a "Exact match" check box?
There are also uppercase and lowercase issues there.

Cheers,

Hernán

You might tick Regexp and search for... now$
cheers -ben

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).
>
>> On 19 Feb 2017, at 12:20, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.
>>
>> I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark<Finder does strange things.jpg>

Re: Strange behavior

Mark Neagu

Hi Hernán,

When I asked the question, I got anwers by Sven and Ben which were spot on and helped me. Now I acknowledge your proposal looks interesting if someone wants to develop it.

Cheers,
Mark

Le 22 février 2017 à 03:46, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> a écrit :

This is unfriendly. A Regex checkbox for the two people in the world who can memorize regular expression patterns...

Wouldn't be easier to add a "Exact match" check box?
There are also uppercase and lowercase issues there.

Cheers,

Hernán

You might tick Regexp and search for... now$
cheers -ben

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).
>
>> On 19 Feb 2017, at 12:20, Mark Neagu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> The Finder has answered my question but the proper answers were sort of hidden in a heap of apparently insignificant answers.
>>
>> I'm sure it's useful and I would like to understand how, if someone is gentle enough to tell me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark<Finder does strange things.jpg>

Re: Strange behavior

Ben Coman
Martin's idea of sorting exact matches to the top should satisfy this
in practice,
without needing another checkbox.  The less modes the better.

cheers -ben

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is unfriendly. A Regex checkbox for the two people in the world who can
> memorize regular expression patterns...
>
> Wouldn't be easier to add a "Exact match" check box?
> There are also uppercase and lowercase issues there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

>> You might tick Regexp and search for... now$
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors
>> > (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).

Re: Strange behavior

hernanmd
Mmmm not really... below two examples of widely used software with complete search UI  and used by millions of people (not even developers). They are TotalCommander and Notepad++, maybe we can learn something from them.

It's a matter of learning how to design a nice UI, not reducing the features or inventing something completely new.

Cheers,

Hernán

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is unfriendly. A Regex checkbox for the two people in the world who can
> memorize regular expression patterns...
>
> Wouldn't be easier to add a "Exact match" check box?
> There are also uppercase and lowercase issues there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

>> You might tick Regexp and search for... now$
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Because 'now' is a case insensitive substring of each of those selectors
>> > (like ..known.. or ..nOwner.. , both seem quite common).

Clipboard01.jpg (34K) Download Attachment
Clipboard02.jpg (71K) Download Attachment