Strange deployed exe behaviour

keith
Hi folks,
First a big thanks to Don Rylander and Chris Uppal for their help with
another related thread of some icon problems I was having in a deployed
exe. I have one more question that I wanted to open up to a wider
audience to see if it's time for the men in white coats to lead me away
or not...

Here's the situation:
I have a toolbar in my application that uses ToolbarIconButtons. For
the images, I'm simply specifying Icon fromFile: xxxx.ico. I've
inserted the images into my copy of the GUIToGo stub with the
appropriate names. In my RuntimeSessionManager, I override the
defaultResLibPath to be:
^ self imageFileName
I deploy from a clean image (thanks Chris!). I place the application
(and required runtime DLLs) onto a memory stick and proceed to do the
following:
 a) I run the application in VMware, with a copy of WinXP sp2 and it's
all good. The icons render correctly.
 b) I move the memory stick to another computer with WinXP sp1, and
it's still all good. Icons are correct
 c) I move the memory stick to my *development machine* (where Dolphin
6.0.2 resides) and the icons render incorrectly. I get an icon for each
element that's supposed to display one, but it's the *wrong* icon -
sort of like it accessed the incorrect index.
 d) I run the application from my development image, and it's all
goodness.
So, only running the deployed app on my development machine screws the
images up! For a,b, and c above, it's the same memory stick, same
application, same DLLs, just different results.

Am I going nuts? Am I already nuts? Anybody have any thoughts on
this...I can't afford a psychiatrist....

Thanks,

Keith

Re: Strange deployed exe behaviour

Don Rylander-3
Keith, I can imagine all kinds of plausible scenarios with or without nuts
;^).

Seriously, though, I can think of a couple of things to try:

1) Rename (temporarily) your Object Arts directory under Program Files, and
your Dolphin Smalltalk X6 directory in My Documents.  (I'd just put an extra
character at the beginning or end of the name.)  Then see whether your
application still has the problem.  Hopefully, that will tell you once and
for all whether it's picking up something from your development directories.

2) I had problems with one application until I set the resourceLibrary to
nil (resourceLibrary := nil.) in the #main method of my
RuntimeSessionManager subclass.  I suspect that I was doing something
immediately before deploying that app was causing the problem, but I never
figured out what it was, and setting the resourceLibrary variable to nil
solved it.

HTH,

Don

news:[hidden email]...