Strange graphics effect (getting Pharo running on the RoarVM)

Strange graphics effect (getting Pharo running on the RoarVM)

Stefan Marr-4
Hi:

When I run Pharo on the RoarVM, I have some strange graphics effects.
Maybe anyone has seen something similar in the past and could point me in the direction of the problem.

The attached screenshot shows the effect I see while moving a window.
All parts of the window, which were containing text are basically cut out, and the other windows in the back are visible instead. This effects seems to occur only while dragging/moving the window.

As a reminder, we are using X11.

So, if anyone remembers to have experiences something similar in the past, please let me know what the fix was.

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

PharoScreenShot.jpg (73K) Download Attachment

Re: Strange graphics effect (getting Pharo running on the RoarVM)

Stéphane Ducasse
do you have the font plugging?
On Nov 9, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> When I run Pharo on the RoarVM, I have some strange graphics effects.
> Maybe anyone has seen something similar in the past and could point me in the direction of the problem.
>
> The attached screenshot shows the effect I see while moving a window.
> All parts of the window, which were containing text are basically cut out, and the other windows in the back are visible instead. This effects seems to occur only while dragging/moving the window.
>
> As a reminder, we are using X11.
>
> So, if anyone remembers to have experiences something similar in the past, please let me know what the fix was.
>
> Thanks
> Stefan
>
> <PharoScreenShot.jpg>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Strange graphics effect (getting Pharo running on the RoarVM)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes, there was a problem with that. I don't remember what exactly, but it required VM changes, I think provided by Juan.

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
do you have the font plugging?
On Nov 9, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> When I run Pharo on the RoarVM, I have some strange graphics effects.
> Maybe anyone has seen something similar in the past and could point me in the direction of the problem.
>
> The attached screenshot shows the effect I see while moving a window.
> All parts of the window, which were containing text are basically cut out, and the other windows in the back are visible instead. This effects seems to occur only while dragging/moving the window.
>
> As a reminder, we are using X11.
>
> So, if anyone remembers to have experiences something similar in the past, please let me know what the fix was.
>
> Thanks
> Stefan
>
> <PharoScreenShot.jpg>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Strange graphics effect (getting Pharo running on the RoarVM)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Stefan,

Stefan Marr wrote:
> Hi:
>
> When I run Pharo on the RoarVM, I have some strange graphics effects.
> Maybe anyone has seen something similar in the past and could point me in the direction of the problem.
>
> The attached screenshot shows the effect I see while moving a window.

Looks like you're using an outdated, buggy BitBlt plugin. I fixed
several issues there some time ago.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 09 Nov 2010, at 17:00, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Looks like you're using an outdated, buggy BitBlt plugin. I fixed several issues there some time ago.

Thank you all, that seems to be the problem.

Have ported the changes from [1], and it works beautiful :)

Bye the way, there are a number of 'unsigned int's in function declarations which probably are supposed to by usqInt for consistency.

Thanks
Stefan

[1] http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/src/vm/intplugins/BitBltPlugin/BitBltPlugin.c?rev=2183

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Strange graphics effect (getting Pharo running on the RoarVM)

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 11:06:30PM +0100, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On 09 Nov 2010, at 17:00, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
> > Looks like you're using an outdated, buggy BitBlt plugin. I fixed several issues there some time ago.
>
> Thank you all, that seems to be the problem.
>

> Have ported the changes from [1], and it works beautiful :)
>
> Bye the way, there are a number of 'unsigned int's in function declarations which probably are supposed to by usqInt for consistency.

These are probably correct as written. The sqInt and usqInt types may
be either 32 or 64 bits in size, depending on whether the image is a
32 or 64 bit object memory. So if something is meant to be 32 bits,
you'll find it explicitly declared as an int or unsigned int.

There is an explanation of the terms at http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html

Dave