Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Strange results from Zinc for the www.delicious.com domain

Andy Burnett
I have just come across a very odd 'bug'? in Zinc. Evaluating the two lines (below) will return the same result for the various domains I tested, but not for Delicious.  In their case, the HTTPClient returns what I expected - i.e. the contents of the page. But, the Zinc client returns an undefined object.  Any thoughts on what is going on - user agent maybe??

response := HTTPClient httpGet:'http://www.delicious.com'.
response2 := ZnHttpClient new url:'http://www.delicious.com'; get.

Cheers
Andy

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Strange results from Zinc for the www.delicious.com domain

Matt Kennedy
ZnHttpClient is sending a Connection: close header in the request which is causing delicious to return the headers, but not the actual content entity.

It's doing this in ZnHttpClient>>method:for:headers:data:limit:. Commenting out 'request setConnectionClose' in that method allows the get request to work.

On Apr 30, 2011 9:23pm, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just come across a very odd 'bug'? in Zinc. Evaluating the two lines (below) will return the same result for the various domains I tested, but not for Delicious.  In their case, the HTTPClient returns what I expected - i.e. the contents of the page. But, the Zinc client returns an undefined object.  Any thoughts on what is going on - user agent maybe??
>
>
>
> response := HTTPClient httpGet:'http://www.delicious.com'.
> response2 := ZnHttpClient new url:'http://www.delicious.com'; get.
>
>
>
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 01 May 2011, at 04:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> ZnHttpClient is sending a Connection: close header in the request which is causing delicious to return the headers, but not the actual content entity.
>
> It's doing this in ZnHttpClient>>method:for:headers:data:limit:. Commenting out 'request setConnectionClose' in that method allows the get request to work.

Actually it is a deeper bug, related to what Esteban reported. As far as I can tell right now, certain servers respond to requests with 'Connection: Close' by not including a 'Content-Length' (most notably Google GWS, but apparently other too). The idea is then to read the content #upToEnd. ZnEntityReader does have a provision for that, but somehow it got disabled because this behavior is not very common (as far as I remember, but I have to check again, 'Content-Length' is required with HTTP/1.1, but there might be finer points in the specs). Enabling it with #allowReadingUpToEnd should have fixed it, but seems to break lots of other code. I have to investigate this further.

Anyway, I now know where to look, so I'll get there.

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Kennedy
The URL in this case is responding with chunked encoding in the content, so the reader shouldn't need to be relying on the Content-Length header. When I was testing the delicious URL I noticed that they have an exceedingly short idle timeout before the server shuts down the connection. Removing the Connection: close header in the request was a workaround, putting the request into a keep alive mode which delicious supports by default, but their idle timeout is so short the request effectively works like a single connection if followup requests aren't immediately issued.

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01 May 2011, at 04:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> ZnHttpClient is sending a Connection: close header in the request which is causing delicious to return the headers, but not the actual content entity.
>
> It's doing this in ZnHttpClient>>method:for:headers:data:limit:. Commenting out 'request setConnectionClose' in that method allows the get request to work.

Actually it is a deeper bug, related to what Esteban reported. As far as I can tell right now, certain servers respond to requests with 'Connection: Close' by not including a 'Content-Length' (most notably Google GWS, but apparently other too). The idea is then to read the content #upToEnd. ZnEntityReader does have a provision for that, but somehow it got disabled because this behavior is not very common (as far as I remember, but I have to check again, 'Content-Length' is required with HTTP/1.1, but there might be finer points in the specs). Enabling it with #allowReadingUpToEnd should have fixed it, but seems to break lots of other code. I have to investigate this further.

Sven

--
Matt Kennedy
Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Burnett
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe
Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote
On 01 May 2011, at 04:28, [hidden email] wrote:

>

Sven
OK, given what you - and Matt - have found, I think I will wait until you have a tweaked version of the code. In the meantime, it looks like the existing HttpClient will have to suffice - I am trying to do some screen scraping of Delicious, so I really need something that will work with that server.

Cheers
Andy
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 02 May 2011, at 00:11, Andy Burnett wrote:

> OK, given what you - and Matt - have found, I think I will wait until you
> have a tweaked version of the code. In the meantime, it looks like the
> existing HttpClient will have to suffice - I am trying to do some screen
> scraping of Delicious, so I really need something that will work with that
> server.

Please try again, if you still have time, if not, no problem.

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Burnett
Great! that now works,

TVM