classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Strategies with Nautilus announcements

Uko2
Hi,

as NautilusMethodSelected contains also an information about protocol, class, package;
NautilusProtocolSelected contains an information about class and package;

I’ve inherited NautilusClassSelected from NautilusPackageSelected and NautilusProtocolSelected from NautilusClassSelected… to remove duplication. But as announcement subscription also includes it’s subclasses, if you subscribe to NautilusPackageSelected, you end up receiving also NautilusClassSelected, NautilusProtocolSelected and NautilusMethodSelected.

What is a good way to resolve this (I can simply separate all the classes, but maybe there is something important from conceptual point of view)?

Uko
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Strategies with Nautilus announcements

Nicolai Hess

2015-09-09 14:32 GMT+02:00 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

as NautilusMethodSelected contains also an information about protocol, class, package;

I’ve inherited NautilusClassSelected from NautilusPackageSelected and NautilusProtocolSelected from NautilusClassSelected… to remove duplication. But as announcement subscription also includes it’s subclasses, if you subscribe to NautilusPackageSelected, you end up receiving also NautilusClassSelected, NautilusProtocolSelected and NautilusMethodSelected.

What is a good way to resolve this (I can simply separate all the classes, but maybe there is something important from conceptual point of view)?

I didn't know announcments are working that way, but it may make sense if you want to group announcments (register once for "WindowAnnouncement" and receiving all kind of
subannouncements (WindowClosed/WindowOpened ...)

What we could do (maybe this is a bit overkill):

- make an announcements hierarchy (NautilusPackageAnnouncement -> NautiulusClassAnnouncement ...) but never subscribe to this Announcemnts
- create sub classes for every "kind"
NautilusPackageAnnouncement subclass: NautilusPackageChangedAnnouncement
NautilusPackageAnnouncement subclass: NautilusPackageSelectedAnnouncement

NautilusClassAnnouncement subclass: NautilusClassSelectedAnnouncement
NautilusClassAnnouncement subclass: NautilusClassChangedAnnouncement

And only subscribe to this subclasses.
That way we are using the hierarchy of Announcement classes for removing of duplicated code, but only
register and announce the "leaf"-nodes (NautilusClassChangedAnnouncement / NautilusPackageChangedAnnouncement...)

what do you think?

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2

On 12 Sep 2015, at 17:34, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

2015-09-09 14:32 GMT+02:00 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

I didn't know announcments are working that way, but it may make sense if you want to group announcments (register once for "WindowAnnouncement" and receiving all kind of
subannouncements (WindowClosed/WindowOpened …)

I don’t know about performance, but as far as I understand you can also subscribe to “WindowAnnouncement withAllSubclasses”.

What we could do (maybe this is a bit overkill):

- make an announcements hierarchy (NautilusPackageAnnouncement -> NautiulusClassAnnouncement ...) but never subscribe to this Announcemnts
- create sub classes for every "kind"
NautilusPackageAnnouncement subclass: NautilusPackageChangedAnnouncement
NautilusPackageAnnouncement subclass: NautilusPackageSelectedAnnouncement

NautilusClassAnnouncement subclass: NautilusClassSelectedAnnouncement
NautilusClassAnnouncement subclass: NautilusClassChangedAnnouncement

And only subscribe to this subclasses.
That way we are using the hierarchy of Announcement classes for removing of duplicated code, but only
register and announce the "leaf"-nodes (NautilusClassChangedAnnouncement / NautilusPackageChangedAnnouncement...)

what do you think?

This may do. Also another option would be to have a NautilusSelectionAnnouncement with all 4 attributes, and then just subclass it for a different type.

Uko

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo

>> What we could do (maybe this is a bit overkill):
>>
>> - make an announcements hierarchy (NautilusPackageAnnouncement ->
>> NautiulusClassAnnouncement ...) but never subscribe to this Announcemnts
>> - create sub classes for every "kind"
>> NautilusPackageAnnouncement subclass: NautilusPackageChangedAnnouncement
>> NautilusPackageAnnouncement subclass: NautilusPackageSelectedAnnouncement
>>
>> NautilusClassAnnouncement subclass: NautilusClassSelectedAnnouncement
>> NautilusClassAnnouncement subclass: NautilusClassChangedAnnouncement
>>
>> And only subscribe to this subclasses.
>> That way we are using the hierarchy of Announcement classes for
>> removing of duplicated code, but only
>> register and announce the "leaf"-nodes
>> (NautilusClassChangedAnnouncement /
>> NautilusPackageChangedAnnouncement...)
>>
>> what do you think?
>
> This may do. Also another option would be to have
> a NautilusSelectionAnnouncement with all 4 attributes, and then just
> subclass it for a different type.

Yes this solution is less verbose and has my preference.

stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik Sperre Johansen
In reply to this post by Uko2

On 12 Sep 2015, at 10:25 , Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

2015-09-09 14:32 GMT+02:00 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

I don’t know about performance, but as far as I understand you can also subscribe to “WindowAnnouncement withAllSubclasses”.

That would be setting yourself up for a heap of duplicates.
By design, you can subscribe twice to the same announcement and receive two notifications, so doing that will net you $InheritanceLevelsFromWindowAnnouncement copies of each...

Cheers,
Henry 

signature.asc (859 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2

On 13 Sep 2015, at 11:59, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

By design, you can subscribe twice to the same announcement and receive two notifications, so doing that will net you $InheritanceLevelsFromWindowAnnouncement copies of each…

My point was that maybe instead of making an implicit inheritance subscription we should make it explicit. So if you want to subscribe only to WindowAnnouncement and not to its subclasses, you can do that. If you wan to subscribe to the hierarchy you can do “WindowAnnouncement withAllSubclasses”. Again, this is just an idea and I don’t know how it impacts performance or some other things. I just see a limitation now that I cannot subscribe only to a class ignoring it subclasses without doing a check later.

Uko

Cheers,
Henry 

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On 13 Sep 2015, at 12:04 , Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

By design, you can subscribe twice to the same announcement and receive two notifications, so doing that will net you $InheritanceLevelsFromWindowAnnouncement copies of each…

My point was that maybe instead of making an implicit inheritance subscription we should make it explicit. So if you want to subscribe only to WindowAnnouncement and not to its subclasses, you can do that. If you wan to subscribe to the hierarchy you can do “WindowAnnouncement withAllSubclasses”. Again, this is just an idea and I don’t know how it impacts performance or some other things. I just see a limitation now that I cannot subscribe only to a class ignoring it subclasses without doing a check later.

Uko

If you do, you majorly break compatability with how announcements work in all other dialects.
So in that case, better rename the framework at the same time.

Cheers,
Henry

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
I don’t care about other dialects. I’m not changing anything now. I’m just saying: “here is a limitation, maybe it can be solved in this way”. Maybe there is a real reason for that. But nobody answers.

Uko

On 13 Sep 2015, at 12:06, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Uko

If you do, you majorly break compatability with how announcements work in all other dialects.

Cheers,
Henry

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik Sperre Johansen
In reply to this post by Henrik Sperre Johansen

On 13 Sep 2015, at 12:06 , Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Uko

Cheers,
Henry
A bit harsh, perhaps.
All frameworks will have considerations built into their designs.
For Announcements, a few of those are:
- Subscription limits are unconstrained. Which means it is *possible* for one recipient to receive multiple copies of the same announcement if that's what needed, and left to the user to avoid if not.
- The Announcement class hierarchy is used to group announcements that should be delivered.

When your use don't conform to those, it's usually better to rewrite your own code in consideration of how the framework works, rather than change the framework.

Cheers,
Henry

P.S. Weren't Traits invented to reduce code duplication across classes?

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik Sperre Johansen
In reply to this post by Uko2

> On 13 Sep 2015, at 12:15 , Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t care about other dialects. I’m not changing anything now. I’m just saying: “here is a limitation, maybe it can be solved in this way”. Maybe there is a real reason for that. But nobody answers.
>
> Uko

And I'm telling you, it's not the limitation that's wrong, it's the use.

If you want a hierarchy like:
SelectionChanged
        ClassChanged
        ProtocolChanged
        MethodChanged

to work, you use double dispatch.

myThing when: SelectionChanged do: [:ann ann handleBy: self ]

ClassChanged >> #handleBy: aResponder
        aResponder classChanged: ann

ProtocolChanged
        aResponder protoclChanged: ann

etc.