Strategy for investigating test failures

Strategy for investigating test failures

Peter Kenny

Hello all

I have done some experiments, and basically all the questions in my previous mail can be ignored. I think it is all a question of timing, which I sort of understand. Perhaps someone can clarify for me.

All my previous tests involved running the whole test suite, to ensure the set-up and tear-down methods were run. As an experiment, I selected the one red method and clicked ‘Run Tests’. After about 10 seconds, a halt appeared with the message ‘Test took too long’. When I clicked ‘Proceed’, the green appeared almost immediately. I tried again several times with similar results, although the halt occurred at different places in the code. I went back to my old P6 version and tried running tests on the one method; each time, it ran to green in about 11-12 seconds.

So back now to the P7 version; wondered if there is now a setting for permitted test duration. Eventually found it under ‘System’, default 10 secs. Changed to 15 secs, re-run red test, now comes up green. Re-run whole test suite, all green.

So it all comes down to my ignorance of test settings. But Pharo is less than helpful; if you run the whole test suite, there is no way to distinguish a test which failed due to a wrong assertion from one which was terminated for taking too long – or did I miss something?

Peter Kenny

Re: Strategy for investigating test failures

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Peter,

You can override #defaultTimeLimit on the class side of the offending test.

Yes, this can be confusing.

There is a new test runner under development, DrTest, in Pharo 8.

Sven

> On 20 Oct 2019, at 16:37, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> I have done some experiments, and basically all the questions in my previous mail can be ignored. I think it is all a question of timing, which I sort of understand. Perhaps someone can clarify for me.
>
> All my previous tests involved running the whole test suite, to ensure the set-up and tear-down methods were run. As an experiment, I selected the one red method and clicked ‘Run Tests’. After about 10 seconds, a halt appeared with the message ‘Test took too long’. When I clicked ‘Proceed’, the green appeared almost immediately. I tried again several times with similar results, although the halt occurred at different places in the code. I went back to my old P6 version and tried running tests on the one method; each time, it ran to green in about 11-12 seconds.
>
> So back now to the P7 version; wondered if there is now a setting for permitted test duration. Eventually found it under ‘System’, default 10 secs. Changed to 15 secs, re-run red test, now comes up green. Re-run whole test suite, all green.
>
> So it all comes down to my ignorance of test settings. But Pharo is less than helpful; if you run the whole test suite, there is no way to distinguish a test which failed due to a wrong assertion from one which was terminated for taking too long – or did I miss something?
>
> Peter Kenny

Re: Strategy for investigating test failures

Peter Kenny
Sven

Thanks - the real problem is my unfamiliarity with P7, so hints like this are helpful. I am happier with familiar systems, but I will switch to the latest Moose suite soon.

Peter

You can override #defaultTimeLimit on the class side of the offending test.

Yes, this can be confusing.

There is a new test runner under development, DrTest, in Pharo 8.

Sven

> On 20 Oct 2019, at 16:37, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all
>
> I have done some experiments, and basically all the questions in my previous mail can be ignored. I think it is all a question of timing, which I sort of understand. Perhaps someone can clarify for me.
>
> All my previous tests involved running the whole test suite, to ensure the set-up and tear-down methods were run. As an experiment, I selected the one red method and clicked ‘Run Tests’. After about 10 seconds, a halt appeared with the message ‘Test took too long’. When I clicked ‘Proceed’, the green appeared almost immediately. I tried again several times with similar results, although the halt occurred at different places in the code. I went back to my old P6 version and tried running tests on the one method; each time, it ran to green in about 11-12 seconds.
>
> So back now to the P7 version; wondered if there is now a setting for permitted test duration. Eventually found it under ‘System’, default 10 secs. Changed to 15 secs, re-run red test, now comes up green. Re-run whole test suite, all green.
>
> So it all comes down to my ignorance of test settings. But Pharo is less than helpful; if you run the whole test suite, there is no way to distinguish a test which failed due to a wrong assertion from one which was terminated for taking too long – or did I miss something?
>
> Peter Kenny

Re: Strategy for investigating test failures

Tim Mackinnon

Confusion of failing test aside - is this something that got worse in Pharo 7? Did these tests pass in under 10s in 6 and take longer in 7? This would be a concrete thing to address, and something to check in 8.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone