Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stream Protocol discussion

Brian Brown-5
I've been looking at the Java Input/Output stream classes; is it desirable to use those underneath the stream classes, and then FileStream would use java.io.File(Input | Output)Stream when we get down to it? If so, then the primitives will be straitforward, but I'd like to get input - James mentioned that Sean has done some architecture work on the File IO system, so I would like to get some input from Sean as well.

Any thoughts?

I could implement everything using strait arrays and then migrate to streams, but I'd rather doit right the first time.

- Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stream Protocol discussion

James Ladd
Please keep trying to contact Sean. I'll ping him as well.

BTW - I think Reader and Writer classes are preferred in Java. However,
both will work and you should use the ones closest to a simple and clean implementation
for you.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been looking at the Java Input/Output stream classes; is it desirable to use those underneath the stream classes, and then FileStream would use java.io.File(Input | Output)Stream when we get down to it? If so, then the primitives will be straitforward, but I'd like to get input - James mentioned that Sean has done some architecture work on the File IO system, so I would like to get some input from Sean as well.

Any thoughts?

I could implement everything using strait arrays and then migrate to streams, but I'd rather doit right the first time.

- Brian

Reply | Threaded
|

Brian Brown-5

both will work and you should use the ones closest to a simple and clean implementation
for you.

Sure, they are character oriented as opposed to byte oriented; eventually we have a BinaryRWStream or some such like Pharo does. 
Reply | Threaded
|

James Ladd
Ah - well if the InputStream / OutputStream classes are closer to Pharo
then use those. 

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

for you.

Sure, they are character oriented as opposed to byte oriented; eventually we have a BinaryRWStream or some such like Pharo does.