StrikeFont Accujen in Pharo

Jochen
Hallo,

I'm porting a Squeak-Project to Pharo and I really need the "Accujen" StrikeFont with size 9.
I know: those bitmap fonts look worse than the great FreeType fonts. But for my special case I need a very small/narrow but still readable font and there's nothing better than Accujen.

So my question is, if it's possible to get the Accujen into Pharo. The StrikeFont class still exists but it seams like all fonts but DejaVu are missing now.

Thanks for any help, if possible!

Jochen

Re: StrikeFont Accujen in Pharo

Damien Cassou
2009/9/30 Jochen <[hidden email]>:
> So my question is, if it's possible to get the Accujen into Pharo. The
> StrikeFont class still exists but it seams like all fonts but DejaVu are
> missing now.

What happens when you browse the list of available fonts (World
menu->System->Preferences->System fonts->default text fonts) ?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Damien Cassou schrieb:
2009/9/30 Jochen [hidden email]:

So my question is, if it's possible to get the Accujen into Pharo. The
StrikeFont class still exists but it seams like all fonts but DejaVu are
missing now.

What happens when you browse the list of available fonts (World
menu->System->Preferences->System fonts->default text fonts) ?

In this list the available fonts are all TrueType fonts in my System (Windows) and the fonts in the "Fonts" subdirectory of Pharo (that are all versions of DejaVU*.ttf). Also there's the font "Accuny" that is afaik a StrikeFont. But unfortunatly no "Accujen".

Re: StrikeFont Accujen in Pharo

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 01.10.2009 15:33, Jochen wrote:
Damien Cassou schrieb:
2009/9/30 Jochen [hidden email]:

So my question is, if it's possible to get the Accujen into Pharo. The
StrikeFont class still exists but it seams like all fonts but DejaVu are
missing now.

What happens when you browse the list of available fonts (World
menu->System->Preferences->System fonts->default text fonts) ?

In this list the available fonts are all TrueType fonts in my System (Windows) and the fonts in the "Fonts" subdirectory of Pharo (that are all versions of DejaVU*.ttf). Also there's the font "Accuny" that is afaik a StrikeFont. But unfortunatly no "Accujen".
All bitmapped fonts except Accuny were removed about a year ago to save space, as far as I can remember.
The last Pharo-image containing Accujen seems to be 10107, it's available from the archives.
You could try to extract it as a package from either there or a recent Squeak image, where I think it's still included.

Alternatively, evaluate StrikeFont installDejaVu (warning: will change the default fonts), and see if Bitmap DejaVu Sans size 7 is adequate for your needs.
(Either way, it shows off how to install a font in the system)

Cheers,
Henry

Damien Cassou schrieb:
[...]

Thank you Henry! With your hint i've finally found a solution!

In Squeak I could file out the font with:
(StrikeFont familyName: 'Accujen' size: 9) writeAsStrike2named: 'Accujen9.sf2'

In Pharo then I could file it in with:
TextConstants at: 'Accujen' put: (TextStyle fontArray: (Array with: (StrikeFont new readFromStrike2: 'Accujen9.sf2'))).
Preferences restoreDefaultFonts.
StrikeFont limitTo16Bits.
StrikeFont useUnderscoreIfOver1bpp

Now I can use the Accujen like any other font in Pharo. :)

Re: StrikeFont Accujen in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse

> Thank you Henry! With your hint i've finally found a solution!
>
> In Squeak I could file out the font with:
> (StrikeFont familyName: 'Accujen' size: 9) writeAsStrike2named:
> 'Accujen9.sf2'
>
> In Pharo then I could file it in with:
> TextConstants at: 'Accujen' put: (TextStyle fontArray: (Array with:
> (StrikeFont new readFromStrike2: 'Accujen9.sf2'))).
> Preferences restoreDefaultFonts.
> StrikeFont limitTo16Bits.
> StrikeFont useUnderscoreIfOver1bpp
>
> Now I can use the Accujen like any other font in Pharo. :)

could you package that and put it somewhere?
so that we can reuse it somebody needs it?
A AccujenPharo Package would be great!

Stéphane Ducasse schrieb:

Thank you Henry! With your hint i've finally found a solution!

In Squeak I could file out the font with:
(StrikeFont familyName: 'Accujen' size: 9) writeAsStrike2named:
'Accujen9.sf2'

In Pharo then I could file it in with:
TextConstants at: 'Accujen' put: (TextStyle fontArray: (Array with:
(StrikeFont new readFromStrike2: 'Accujen9.sf2'))).
Preferences restoreDefaultFonts.
StrikeFont limitTo16Bits.
StrikeFont useUnderscoreIfOver1bpp

Now I can use the Accujen like any other font in Pharo. :)

could you package that and put it somewhere?
so that we can reuse it somebody needs it?
A AccujenPharo Package would be great!

Stef
I'm quite new to packages/monticello etc. - probably it should be two packages: one for Squeak (to file out) and one for Pharo (to file in). Or is it possible to include files (the fonts) into packages? I'm quite busy at the moment but will think about it the next days!
Jochen

Re: StrikeFont Accujen in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
I'm not sure but the fonts could be defined as class methods.
Have a look at the way MenuIcon does it.

Stef