StsInspector on Arrays

jtuchel
Hi,

this is a request for opinions on StsInspector's Behaviour when inspecting Arrays.

StsInspector shows all entries of an OrderedCollection, but if you inspect an Array (like the result of a Glorp Query) you only get the entry #self and have to click on "Basic Inspect" to inspect the contents of an Array.

Do others see this effect? Do you think this is good or bad?
I would like to see it changed. If I inspect an Array, most of the times I am interested in its contents. Array is no different than any other Collection.

I haven't checked for SortedCollection and others, but I would expect the Inspector to show me the entries.

Joachim

Re: StsInspector on Arrays

jtuchel
Well, coming back to my own thread.

I just played a little, and I found out that the StsInspector does indeed work correctly for Arrays of up to 150 entries.

If you inspect Array new: 151 , you get only #self and need to switch to Basic Inspect to see the entries.

So I guess this was a memory consumption or performance decision.
Do the assumptions that were the base of the decision still hold?

If I Basic Inspect an Array with slightly more than 6000 objects retrieved from a Database (inspect of myGlorpSession readManyOf: ... where: ...) I see no negative effects in the Basic Inspector...

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2015 08:41:12 UTC+2 schrieb Joachim Tuchel:
Oh, I am on 8.6.0, so maybe this has changed in 8.6.1 already???

Am Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2015 08:40:39 UTC+2 schrieb Joachim Tuchel:
Hi,

this is a request for opinions on StsInspector's Behaviour when inspecting Arrays.

StsInspector shows all entries of an OrderedCollection, but if you inspect an Array (like the result of a Glorp Query) you only get the entry #self and have to click on "Basic Inspect" to inspect the contents of an Array.

Do others see this effect? Do you think this is good or bad?
I would like to see it changed. If I inspect an Array, most of the times I am interested in its contents. Array is no different than any other Collection.

I haven't checked for SortedCollection and others, but I would expect the Inspector to show me the entries.

Joachim

Re: StsInspector on Arrays

John O'Keefe-3
Joachim -

The limit of 150 is customizable - see Tools->VA Assist Pro->Setup... and look about halfway down the middle column on the General tab. I think this is probably a performance rather than a memory size optimization.

John

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 3:29:38 AM UTC-4, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
[...]

Thanks John,

I found it, and it works.
You cannot raise the limit above 1000 objects, however. Not sure if this limit still holds on current machines...

Joachim