Stuck trying to contribute

12

Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Sorry, but I am person 237 trying to contribute to Pharo 7 the new way.

I was following https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo and I got stuck just before step 3, after trying to do "That will calculate the differences between the checked-out branch and your image, show you the tree with the differences and let you commit (and push)". Specifically, the 'and push' fails.

$ sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.13
BuildVersion: 17A405

$ curl get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash

$ ./pharo-ui Pharo.image

I now have the following setup, which is correct I think.

I can commit on my local branch (left button), but when I try to do the 'and Push' (right button), things hang after I enter my credentials.

Locally, I see

$ git status
On branch 20613-Improve-some-UUID-comments
nothing to commit, working tree clean

with the new code already committed

$ cat src/Network-UUID.package/UUID.class/class/new.st
instance creation
new
"Create and return a new UUID"

"self new"

^ (self new: 16)

What did I do wrong ? How do I proceed ?

Sven

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> I can commit on my local branch (left button), but when I try to do the
> 'and Push' (right button), things hang after I enter my credentials.

I authenticate via ssh-agent/keychain and it "just works".

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 30 Oct 2017, at 21:16, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> I can commit on my local branch (left button), but when I try to do the
>> 'and Push' (right button), things hang after I enter my credentials.
>
> I authenticate via ssh-agent/keychain and it "just works".

Well, that is what I also do on the command line, AFAIK. I always do 2 ssh-add's of 2 keys, known by GitHub, and I never have to enter username/password credentials.

So how do I get IceBerg to use them ? Just by not entering them or something else ?

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

EstebanLM
hi,

thing is, you should not use https authentication (and the guide should not point to it)
Using SSH mode works out of the box.
Using HTTPS there is currently a bug and the workaround is to introduce your credentials *before* trying to commit (in settings)

Esteban

On 30 Oct 2017, at 20:33, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, but I am person 237 trying to contribute to Pharo 7 the new way.

I was following https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo and I got stuck just before step 3, after trying to do "That will calculate the differences between the checked-out branch and your image, show you the tree with the differences and let you commit (and push)". Specifically, the 'and push' fails.

$ sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.13
BuildVersion: 17A405

$ curl get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash

$ ./pharo-ui Pharo.image

I now have the following setup, which is correct I think.

<Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 20.28.05.png>

I can commit on my local branch (left button), but when I try to do the 'and Push' (right button), things hang after I enter my credentials.

Locally, I see

$ git status
On branch 20613-Improve-some-UUID-comments
nothing to commit, working tree clean

with the new code already committed

$ cat src/Network-UUID.package/UUID.class/class/new.st
instance creation
new
"Create and return a new UUID"

"self new"

^ (self new: 16)

What did I do wrong ? How do I proceed ?

Sven

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 30 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> thing is, you should not use https authentication (and the guide should not point to it)
> Using SSH mode works out of the box.
> Using HTTPS there is currently a bug and the workaround is to introduce your credentials *before* trying to commit (in settings)

Well, after entering my username/password in Settings > Tools > Software Configuration Management > Iceberg > Plaintext Credentials I am one step further - I managed to 'Commit & Push'.

Thanks !

> Esteban
>
>> On 30 Oct 2017, at 20:33, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry, but I am person 237 trying to contribute to Pharo 7 the new way.
>>
>> I was following https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo and I got stuck just before step 3, after trying to do "That will calculate the differences between the checked-out branch and your image, show you the tree with the differences and let you commit (and push)". Specifically, the 'and push' fails.
>>
>> $ sw_vers
>> ProductName: Mac OS X
>> ProductVersion: 10.13
>> BuildVersion: 17A405
>>
>> $ curl get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash
>>
>> $ ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>>
>> I now have the following setup, which is correct I think.
>>
>> <Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 20.28.05.png>
>>
>> I can commit on my local branch (left button), but when I try to do the 'and Push' (right button), things hang after I enter my credentials.
>>
>> Locally, I see
>>
>> $ git status
>> On branch 20613-Improve-some-UUID-comments
>> nothing to commit, working tree clean
>>
>> with the new code already committed
>>
>> $ cat src/Network-UUID.package/UUID.class/class/new.st
>> instance creation
>> new
>> "Create and return a new UUID"
>>
>> "self new"
>>
>> ^ (self new: 16)
>>
>> What did I do wrong ? How do I proceed ?
>>
>> Sven

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I think I succeeded:

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20613/Improve-some-UUID-comments
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/420

It does contain 4 identical commits due to my troubles earlier on.
I also did not see a confirmation by way of an #inform: after the pull request in Iceberg.

> On 30 Oct 2017, at 21:50, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 30 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> thing is, you should not use https authentication (and the guide should not point to it)
>> Using SSH mode works out of the box.
>> Using HTTPS there is currently a bug and the workaround is to introduce your credentials *before* trying to commit (in settings)
>
> Well, after entering my username/password in Settings > Tools > Software Configuration Management > Iceberg > Plaintext Credentials I am one step further - I managed to 'Commit & Push'.
>
> Thanks !
>
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 30 Oct 2017, at 20:33, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry, but I am person 237 trying to contribute to Pharo 7 the new way.
>>>
>>> I was following https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo and I got stuck just before step 3, after trying to do "That will calculate the differences between the checked-out branch and your image, show you the tree with the differences and let you commit (and push)". Specifically, the 'and push' fails.
>>>
>>> $ sw_vers
>>> ProductName: Mac OS X
>>> ProductVersion: 10.13
>>> BuildVersion: 17A405
>>>
>>> $ curl get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash
>>>
>>> $ ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>>>
>>> I now have the following setup, which is correct I think.
>>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 20.28.05.png>
>>>
>>> I can commit on my local branch (left button), but when I try to do the 'and Push' (right button), things hang after I enter my credentials.
>>>
>>> Locally, I see
>>>
>>> $ git status
>>> On branch 20613-Improve-some-UUID-comments
>>> nothing to commit, working tree clean
>>>
>>> with the new code already committed
>>>
>>> $ cat src/Network-UUID.package/UUID.class/class/new.st
>>> instance creation
>>> new
>>> "Create and return a new UUID"
>>>
>>> "self new"
>>>
>>> ^ (self new: 16)
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong ? How do I proceed ?
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Guillermo Polito
If you give me precise instructions I can update the post :)

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 31 Oct 2017, at 10:37, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you give me precise instructions I can update the post :)

I am still learning, trying to understand all aspects, I am hardly ready to tell others what to do.

Another question: after doing a full cycle (contributing a pull request), how does one continue ?

Throw away everything and start over ?

Or is it possible to update and sync everything so that one is ready to do another contribution ?

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I succeeded:
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20613/Improve-some-UUID-comments
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/420
>
> It does contain 4 identical commits due to my troubles earlier on.
> I also did not see a confirmation by way of an #inform: after the pull request in Iceberg.
>
> > On 30 Oct 2017, at 21:50, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 30 Oct 2017, at 21:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> thing is, you should not use https authentication (and the guide should not point to it)
> >> Using SSH mode works out of the box.
> >> Using HTTPS there is currently a bug and the workaround is to introduce your credentials *before* trying to commit (in settings)
> >
> > Well, after entering my username/password in Settings > Tools > Software Configuration Management > Iceberg > Plaintext Credentials I am one step further - I managed to 'Commit & Push'.
> >
> > Thanks !
> >
> >> Esteban

> --
>
> Guille Polito
> Research Engineer
>
> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>
> Web: http://guillep.github.io
> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

EstebanLM

On 31 Oct 2017, at 10:37, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you give me precise instructions I can update the post :)

precise instructions is:
- do not use https, use ssh
- if you do not follow our recommendation and you insist on use https, add your credentials before doing any commit.

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Stephane Ducasse-3
Sven

have a look at the TipsAndTricks new booklet available at http://books.pharo.org. There is a configuration for iceberg that sets and reduce
the pain for me.

Stef

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Phone: <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 31 Oct 2017, at 11:52, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sven
>
> have a look at the TipsAndTricks new booklet available at http://books.pharo.org. There is a configuration for iceberg that sets and reduce
> the pain for me.

Ah, OK, found it. Thanks.

Nice document BTW ;-)

> Stef
>

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 10:37, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If you give me precise instructions I can update the post :)
>
> precise instructions is:
> - do not use https, use ssh
> - if you do not follow our recommendation and you insist on use https, add your credentials before doing any commit.
>

>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think I succeeded:
>>
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20613/Improve-some-UUID-comments
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/420
>>
>> It does contain 4 identical commits due to my troubles earlier on.
>> I also did not see a confirmation by way of an #inform: after the pull request in Iceberg.

>> > Well, after entering my username/password in Settings > Tools > Software Configuration Management > Iceberg > Plaintext Credentials I am one step further - I managed to 'Commit & Push'.
>> >
>> > Thanks !

>> --
>>
>> Guille Polito
>> Research Engineer
>>
>> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
>> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
>> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>>
>> Web: http://guillep.github.io
>> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Stephane Ducasse-3
I'm in the process to push out of the cliff all the material I have
written and not released over the year.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 11:52, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> have a look at the TipsAndTricks new booklet available at http://books.pharo.org. There is a configuration for iceberg that sets and reduce
>> the pain for me.
>
> Ah, OK, found it. Thanks.
>
> Nice document BTW ;-)
>
>> Stef
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 10:37, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you give me precise instructions I can update the post :)
>>
>> precise instructions is:
>> - do not use https, use ssh
>> - if you do not follow our recommendation and you insist on use https, add your credentials before doing any commit.
>>

>>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think I succeeded:
>>>
>>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20613/Improve-some-UUID-comments
>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/420
>>>
>>> It does contain 4 identical commits due to my troubles earlier on.
>>> I also did not see a confirmation by way of an #inform: after the pull request in Iceberg.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Guille Polito
>>> Research Engineer
>>>
>>> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
>>> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
>>> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>>>
>>> Web: http://guillep.github.io
>>> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

alistairgrant
Just to add a positive note to this discussion:

After cloning the pharo repository, adding my fork as a remote and
using Guille's scripts from earlier this year to configure the
repositories in image, I was able to:

- Create new branch from Fogbugz issue...
- Make the changes
- Push the changes up to my fork (Synchronise repository)
- Create pull request...
- Make some more changes
- Push changes to my fork

All from within the image, without any problems.

There's still plenty that is manual and outside the image, and it
would be nice to have a GUI that guided you through the process (at
the moment you need to know what steps to do and in what order), but
we have a good solid basis for moving forward.

Cheers,
Alistair

On 31 October 2017 at 12:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 11:52, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> have a look at the TipsAndTricks new booklet available at http://books.pharo.org. There is a configuration for iceberg that sets and reduce
>> the pain for me.
>
> Ah, OK, found it. Thanks.
>
> Nice document BTW ;-)
>
>> Stef
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 10:37, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you give me precise instructions I can update the post :)
>>
>> precise instructions is:
>> - do not use https, use ssh
>> - if you do not follow our recommendation and you insist on use https, add your credentials before doing any commit.
>>

>>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think I succeeded:
>>>
>>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20613/Improve-some-UUID-comments
>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/420
>>>
>>> It does contain 4 identical commits due to my troubles earlier on.
>>> I also did not see a confirmation by way of an #inform: after the pull request in Iceberg.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Guille Polito
>>> Research Engineer
>>>
>>> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
>>> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
>>> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>>>
>>> Web: http://guillep.github.io
>>> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Yes, it is working for me too now, and it is actually pretty nice.

I wonder though what the best way is to keep your personal fork up to date ?

I managed to do it with a PR from the fork to the origin (or is it the reverse ?), like this

https://github.com/svenvc/pharo/pull/1

but it felt a bit weird because obviously the diff is large and I had the impression that the CI process than had to process all this.

Maybe there is a better/easier/more correct way ?

> On 15 Nov 2017, at 20:08, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just to add a positive note to this discussion:
>
> After cloning the pharo repository, adding my fork as a remote and
> using Guille's scripts from earlier this year to configure the
> repositories in image, I was able to:
>
> - Create new branch from Fogbugz issue...
> - Make the changes
> - Push the changes up to my fork (Synchronise repository)
> - Create pull request...
> - Make some more changes
> - Push changes to my fork
>
> All from within the image, without any problems.
>
> There's still plenty that is manual and outside the image, and it
> would be nice to have a GUI that guided you through the process (at
> the moment you need to know what steps to do and in what order), but
> we have a good solid basis for moving forward.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

> On 31 October 2017 at 12:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 11:52, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> have a look at the TipsAndTricks new booklet available at http://books.pharo.org. There is a configuration for iceberg that sets and reduce
>>> the pain for me.
>>
>> Ah, OK, found it. Thanks.
>>
>> Nice document BTW ;-)
>>
>>> Stef

>>> precise instructions is:
>>> - do not use https, use ssh
>>> - if you do not follow our recommendation and you insist on use https, add your credentials before doing any commit.

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Pavel Krivanek-3
I use something like this:

pharoRepository := IceRepository registry detect: [ :each | each name = 'pharo' ].
pharoRepository checkoutBranch: 'development'.
pharoRepository backend pullFrom: pharoRepository origin.
pharoRepository push.

Beware, it switches the branch and you can loose non-committed work. It supposes origin to be pharo-project/pharo and your fork to be set as default push remote.

-- Pavel

Yes, it is working for me too now, and it is actually pretty nice.

I wonder though what the best way is to keep your personal fork up to date ?

I managed to do it with a PR from the fork to the origin (or is it the reverse ?), like this

https://github.com/svenvc/pharo/pull/1

but it felt a bit weird because obviously the diff is large and I had the impression that the CI process than had to process all this.

Maybe there is a better/easier/more correct way ?

> On 15 Nov 2017, at 20:08, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just to add a positive note to this discussion:
>
> After cloning the pharo repository, adding my fork as a remote and
> using Guille's scripts from earlier this year to configure the
> repositories in image, I was able to:
>
> - Create new branch from Fogbugz issue...
> - Make the changes
> - Push the changes up to my fork (Synchronise repository)
> - Create pull request...
> - Make some more changes
> - Push changes to my fork
>
> All from within the image, without any problems.
>
> There's still plenty that is manual and outside the image, and it
> would be nice to have a GUI that guided you through the process (at
> the moment you need to know what steps to do and in what order), but
> we have a good solid basis for moving forward.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

> On 31 October 2017 at 12:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Oct 2017, at 11:52, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> have a look at the TipsAndTricks new booklet available at http://books.pharo.org. There is a configuration for iceberg that sets and reduce
>>> the pain for me.
>>
>> Ah, OK, found it. Thanks.
>>
>> Nice document BTW ;-)
>>
>>> Stef

>>> precise instructions is:
>>> - do not use https, use ssh
>>> - if you do not follow our recommendation and you insist on use https, add your credentials before doing any commit.

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

alistairgrant
Hi Sven,

On 15 November 2017 at 20:44, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, it is working for me too now, and it is actually pretty nice.
>
> I wonder though what the best way is to keep your personal fork up to date ?
>
> I managed to do it with a PR from the fork to the origin (or is it the reverse ?), like this
>
> https://github.com/svenvc/pharo/pull/1
>
> but it felt a bit weird because obviously the diff is large and I had the impression that the CI process than had to process all this.
>
> Maybe there is a better/easier/more correct way ?

I only update my fork when I'm starting from a fresh image - my
understanding is that upgrading an image is not supported at the
moment.

Set up the repository:

cd emptydirectory
wget 'the latest 7.0 image'
git clone [hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo.git pharo-core
cd pharo-core
git remote add $username [hidden email]:$username/pharo.git
cd ..

Once the repository has been set up, the following script:

1. Configures Iceberg to show system repositories
2. Finds the pharo repository.
3. Finds the two remotes (origin and $username, from above)
4. Configures Iceberg to pull from origin and push to $username by default.
5. Checks out the development branch

and finally does what you were asking about, updating the fork from the origin

6. Pull from origin
7. Push to fork ($username)
8, Checkout the images commit
9. Reloads modified packages

| location username pharoRepository origin myfork |

location := 'pharo-core'.
username := 'myusername'.

Iceberg showSystemRepositories: true.
pharoRepository := IceRepository registry detect: [ :each | each name
= 'pharo' ].
pharoRepository location: location asFileReference.
origin := pharoRepository remotes detect: [ :each | each remoteName =
'origin' ].
myfork := pharoRepository remotes detect: [ :each | each remoteName =
username ].
pharoRepository pushRemote: myfork.
pharoRepository pullRemote: origin.
pharoRepository checkoutBranch: 'development'.
pharoRepository backend pullFrom: origin.
pharoRepository push.
pharoRepository checkoutBranch: (SystemVersion current commitHash).
[(pharoRepository savedPackages select: [:aPackage | aPackage isLoaded
and: [ aPackage  isModified ]]) do: #reload ] on: MCMergeOrLoadWarning
do: [ :warning | warning resume: true ].

'Loaded pharo-core' inspect.

I always have OSSubprocess loaded, so it would actually be easy to
automate the cloning and configuration of the repository.  I might do
that next week.

Cheers,
Alistair

>> On 15 Nov 2017, at 20:08, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just to add a positive note to this discussion:
>>
>> After cloning the pharo repository, adding my fork as a remote and
>> using Guille's scripts from earlier this year to configure the
>> repositories in image, I was able to:
>>
>> - Create new branch from Fogbugz issue...
>> - Make the changes
>> - Push the changes up to my fork (Synchronise repository)
>> - Create pull request...
>> - Make some more changes
>> - Push changes to my fork
>>
>> All from within the image, without any problems.
>>
>> There's still plenty that is manual and outside the image, and it
>> would be nice to have a GUI that guided you through the process (at
>> the moment you need to know what steps to do and in what order), but
>> we have a good solid basis for moving forward.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alistair

>>> Ah, OK, found it. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Nice document BTW ;-)

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Alistair,

Are steps 8 & 9 needed, since the latest image should be in sync with the latest dev version, no ?

Sven

@Pavel, thanks as well. A lot seems possible with the API.

I hope to be able to try later tonight.

On 15 November 2017 at 22:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alistair,
>
> Are steps 8 & 9 needed, since the latest image should be in sync with the latest dev version, no ?

Until the next commit is made :-)

Step 8 is not strictly needed, but if it is omitted the code in the
image may not match the code in the repository, and loading / saving
core packages may result in an inconsistent state.

Step 9 was added because at one point the image had some packages
marked as dirty.  I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Cheers,
Alistair

> [...]
>> pharoRepository checkoutBranch: 'development'.
>> pharoRepository backend pullFrom: origin.
>> pharoRepository push.
>> pharoRepository checkoutBranch: (SystemVersion current commitHash).
>> [(pharoRepository savedPackages select: [:aPackage | aPackage isLoaded
>> and: [ aPackage  isModified ]]) do: #reload ] on: MCMergeOrLoadWarning
>> do: [ :warning | warning resume: true ].
>>
>> 'Loaded pharo-core' inspect.
>>

>> I always have OSSubprocess loaded, so it would actually be easy to
>> automate the cloning and configuration of the repository.  I might do
>> that next week.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alistair

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Pavel Krivanek-3

Alistair,

Are steps 8 & 9 needed, since the latest image should be in sync with the latest dev version, no ?

8) the latest build may not be created from the latest merged commit. This step is not necessary because Iceberg can handle such situations and moreover it can do cherry-picking during commits. However personally I use it because it reduces probability of troubles. As always, it is good to execute it only if you know what you are doing and what you want.

9) is not needed anymore

BTW, Guille wrote a very nice document about your fork synchronization
https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Keep-your-repo-in-sync

-- Pavel

> [...]

>>> the moment you need to know what steps to do and in what order), but
>>> we have a good solid basis for moving forward.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alistair

Re: Stuck trying to contribute

Pavel Krivanek-3

Hi Sven,

On 15 November 2017 at 22:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alistair,
>
> Are steps 8 & 9 needed, since the latest image should be in sync with the latest dev version, no ?

Until the next commit is made :-)

Step 8 is not strictly needed, but if it is omitted the code in the
image may not match the code in the repository, and loading / saving
core packages may result in an inconsistent state.

Step 9 was added because at one point the image had some packages
marked as dirty.  I'm not sure if that is still the case.

It is not. I sometimes use modified version of these lines to reaload all packages to make them in sync with a particular branch after switching to it because if you reload all packages from the Iceberg UI, it may require clicking on a lot of confirmation windows.

-- Pavel

Cheers,
Alistair