Stumped on splitters

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I have a couple of Polymorph based tools (essentially very specialized inspectors for specific data sets), and I would like to get splitters working.  So far, I'm getting clobbered.  I found some splitter-adding methods in SystemWindow, but I am not clear on whether they are intended for general use??

The browser I am using has working horizontal splitter, but the vertical ones stopped working a couple of versions back, so that might not be the best example to follow.  I have not been able to find where the basic inspector creates its spliter.

Any enlightenment or places to start browser would be appreciated.

Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Gary Chambers-4
Bill,

splitters are added automatically for SystemWindow panes. Polymorph does fix
the previously erratic behaviour of splitters for SystemWindows, though
problems still remain in the general BorderedMorph cases.
Splitters are based around the ProportionalLayout specifications for a Morph
so particularly unusual layouts have the potential to mess up, though not
seen any bad cases myself.

While possible to add ProportionalSplitterMorphs manually, it is a little
fiddly.

Regards, Gary

> I have a couple of Polymorph based tools (essentially very specialized
> inspectors for specific data sets), and I would like to get splitters
> working.  So far, I'm getting clobbered.  I found some splitter-adding
> methods in SystemWindow, but I am not clear on whether they are intended
> for general use??
>
> The browser I am using has working horizontal splitter, but the vertical
> ones stopped working a couple of versions back, so that might not be the
> best example to follow.  I have not been able to find where the basic
> inspector creates its spliter.
>
> Any enlightenment or places to start browser would be appreciated.
>
> Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

Can you think of a good example of two panes side by side (or one above the other) with a splitter between them?  So far, I can't find one that I've been able to follow.

Bill

> I have a couple of Polymorph based tools (essentially very specialized
> inspectors for specific data sets), and I would like to get splitters
> working.  So far, I'm getting clobbered.  I found some splitter-adding
> methods in SystemWindow, but I am not clear on whether they are intended
> for general use??
>
> The browser I am using has working horizontal splitter, but the vertical
> ones stopped working a couple of versions back, so that might not be the
> best example to follow.  I have not been able to find where the basic
> inspector creates its spliter.
>
> Any enlightenment or places to start browser would be appreciated.
>
> Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Gary Chambers-4
Directly within a System window or added programatically in some submorph?
If directly it should happen automatically.

Otherwise try something like this...

|leftWidth left right main|
leftWidth := 100.
left := Morph new color: Color yellow.
right := Morph new color: Color green.
main := BorderedMorph new
 changeProportionalLayout;
 addMorph: left
 fullFrame: (LayoutFrame
  fractions: (0@0 corner: 0@1)
  offsets: (0@0 corner: leftWidth - (ProportionalSplitterMorph splitterWidth
// 2) @ 0));
 addMorph: right
 fullFrame: (LayoutFrame
  fractions: (0@0 corner: 1@1)
  offsets: (ProportionalSplitterMorph splitterWidth // 2 + leftWidth@0
corner: 0@0));
 addPaneVSplitterBetween: left and: {right};
 extent: 200@150.
main splitters last
 addLeftOrTop: left;
 addRightOrBottom: right.
main openInWindow

Regards, Gary

> Can you think of a good example of two panes side by side (or one above
> the other) with a splitter between them?  So far, I can't find one that
> I've been able to follow.
>
> Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Gary,

That is exactly what I am trying to do.  THANKS!!!!!!!

Bill

> Can you think of a good example of two panes side by side (or one above
> the other) with a splitter between them?  So far, I can't find one that
> I've been able to follow.
>
> Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Gary Chambers-4
For reference, a similar situation with "automagic" SystemWindow stuff...

|main|
main := SystemWindow new model: 1. "any object here for this example,
otherwise the paneColor comes from first pane morph"
left := Morph new minWidth: 30.
right := Morph new minWidth: 60.
main
 addMorph: left
 frame: (0@0 corner: 0.5@1);
 addMorph: right
 frame: (0.5@0 corner: 1@1);
 extent: 200@150.
main openAsIs

Regards, Gary

> That is exactly what I am trying to do.  THANKS!!!!!!!
>
> Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Gary Chambers-4
Or, even more fun

|main topLeft topRight bottomLeft bottomRight|
main := SystemWindow new model: 1. "any object here for this example,
otherwise the paneColor comes from first pane morph"
topLeft := Morph new minWidth: 10.
topRight := Morph new minWidth: 60.
bottomLeft := Morph new minWidth: 30.
bottomRight := Morph new minWidth: 20; minHeight: 40.
main
 addMorph: topLeft
 frame: (0@0 corner: 0.5@0.5);
 addMorph: topRight
 frame: (0.5@0 corner: 1@0.5);
 addMorph: bottomLeft
 frame: (0@0.5 corner: 0.5@1);
 addMorph: bottomRight
 frame: (0.5@0.5 corner: 1@1);
 extent: 200@150.
main openAsIs

Which (for SystemWindow) does the expected thing... two splitters honouring
the largest of the specified minima.

Regards, Gary

> For reference, a similar situation with "automagic" SystemWindow stuff...
>

> |main|
> main := SystemWindow new model: 1. "any object here for this example,
> otherwise the paneColor comes from first pane morph"
> left := Morph new minWidth: 30.
> right := Morph new minWidth: 60.
> main
> addMorph: left
> frame: (0@0 corner: 0.5@1);
> addMorph: right
> frame: (0.5@0 corner: 1@1);
> extent: 200@150.
> main openAsIs
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Stumped on splitters

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

Thanks again for the examples.  I was defeating the automatic mechanism with some extra morphs intended to aid in the layout.  Take careful aim at foot; pull trigger ~:)

Bill

Re: Stumped on splitters

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

The automatic solution is working nicely.  One remaining question is how to assign a fixed (or maximum?) size to a given morph?  An example would be to have a list and text editor, with the list "always" being 300 pixels wide and the editor getting the remaining space.

Bill