Stupid memory blockage re: Seaside

Long Haired David
I want an image to be clickable and route to Paypal. I am struggling to attach a URL to the image.

Can anyone jog my memory please?

David

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Stupid memory blockage re: Seaside

jtuchel
David,

always try to find out how to do it in html first. Forget about Seaside not requiring you to know about that web stuff. It's always been untrue ;-)

So what you want is a link (anchor) that contains an image.

html anchor url: ''; with: [html image ...]

HTH

Joachim

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Stupid memory blockage re: Seaside

jtuchel
Not sure I know the complete answer. But rest assured: even after 8 years of Seaside usage, you will find mysteries ;-)

In your concrete case, however, Seaside is not the problem. In Web Connection you'd also have to wrap the image in a link, because that is how HTML works. The problem is that you have to understand web technologies in order to use Seaside, no matter what early slide decks of Seaside said

Joachim

Am Freitag, 13. Januar 2017 21:50:25 UTC+1 schrieb Totally Objects:
Thanks, that works. Why, when I have been using VAST for 20 years and many years using WebConn does Seaside bring me to a sudden halt so often?

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 8:45:15 PM UTC, Totally Objects wrote:
I want an image to be clickable and route to Paypal. I am struggling to attach a URL to the image.

Can anyone jog my memory please?

David

Re: Stupid memory blockage re: Seaside

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Dave,

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 3:50:25 PM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:
Thanks, that works. Why, when I have been using VAST for 20 years and many years using WebConn does Seaside bring me to a sudden halt so often?

David

You are getting old:))

Lou

Re: Stupid memory blockage re: Seaside

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Joachim,

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 7:37:28 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Not sure I know the complete answer. But rest assured: even after 8 years of Seaside usage, you will find mysteries ;-)

In your concrete case, however, Seaside is not the problem. In Web Connection you'd also have to wrap the image in a link, because that is how HTML works. The problem is that you have to understand web technologies in order to use Seaside, no matter what early slide decks of Seaside said

Joachim

I don't disagree but I have found that a person who knows Smalltalk (like me) and doesn't even know much Seaside (like me) can work with a person who know enough HTML to build a page or pages with something that makes HTML pages as a prototype, can then convert that to Seaside.  I have doe this.  Unfortunately for Dave, he has to play both those roles (I'm doing that with a very small project right now) and that can be tough.  Hang in there Dave, you will get it.

Lou

Re: Stupid memory blockage re: Seaside

Marten Feldtmann-4

I do agree with Joachim - and viewing some presentations at ESUG 2016 I assume, that the programming model (Web <-> Smalltalk) will not get easier in the future. Now I work with high-level Javascript libraries and - for me - this gives me pretty good solutions.

Marten

Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> hat am 14. Januar 2017 um 15:45 geschrieben:

[...]

Lou,

I think you're neither disagreeing nor contradicting me ;-) Just underlining what I said: you need to know HTML and Javascript and stuff if you want to use Seaside.
And that is no surprise. Just not what was on slide decks earlier last decade about Seaside ;-)

Joachim

Am Samstag, 14. Januar 2017 15:45:46 UTC+1 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:
[...]

Marten,

I guess this is not so much a question of Smalltalk. Smalltalk is just some server side programming language, like any other. The idea of the server being in control of an individual user's current workflow is just not compatible with what people expect from a modern web app that - ideally - is also a mobile application.

Seaside is a programming model that wants to control everything on the server. These days, systems look different. The client does workflow and presentation. Just another angle in the same old client/server distribution model cycle. Seaside (and Servlets for that matter) are the s/370 terminal emulation kind of model, but the market cyrrently is in the fat client quadrant. So you can look at Seaside as a thing of the past or the future, just not of today ;-)

Unfortunately, none of the players in the Smalltalk arena has an answer for the current model. We can provide data and present processing using things like REST, but for the client side (browser or mobile device), we have nothing but missing trousers (not to speak of pockets). Not even some slight idea of what an adapter for current technologies could look like.

So we're stuck with either Seaside or roll-you-own, while other programming languages like Dart/Flutter, Javascript, dance around us in circles building cool new GUIs while we tell them all their cool new stuff was once invented in our ivory tower.

Wow, what a great start for a week building web apps ;-)

Joachim

Am Sonntag, 15. Januar 2017 19:31:12 UTC+1 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:

[...]

Yes, I am underlining what I said: you need to know HTML and Javascript.  I just wanted to point out that all the knowledge didn't need to be in one place or person.  And that prototyping the HTML portion with some HTML tool works well.  One or more people can design the HTML and get it looking well and the way they want and others can take that and redo it in Seaside, which doesn't take very long.  There is also seafox.xpi, which generates Seaside code from HTML.  It may be a little old not but it worked well at one time.  It didn't do everything but it was a good first step.

Lou

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 2:49:32 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
[...]

getting? Got!

I am trying to integrate a Adobe Muse built web site with some dynamic stuff. I am currently studying an Open University module called Web, Cloud and Mobile technologies. It spent 1 week telling us aboutHTML 5 and referred to another course forJava and JavaScript. That went well then so I am back to struggling with Seaside and wondering why I don't just drag out my WebConn templates that ran my shop for 8 years. At least I knew what was going on there.

David