Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stupid question re: Walkback.log

Totally Objects
I am making an executable in V8 for the first time (having done it many times in 6.x and earlier).

I am running into one of the usual UnidentifiedObject doesn't understand new type of message.
When I try to browse the walkback there isn't one!

Is there some switch in 8.5 that I am missing.

Any help would  be appreciated.

David
Totally Objects

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/grKBFLxSsKMJ.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk?hl=en.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stupid question re: Walkback.log

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Dave,

Can you tell us a bit more.  Do you get the error during packaging or when running the packaged image.  Can you show us the exact error message.

Lou

On Monday, June 18, 2012 10:02:24 AM UTC-4, Totally Objects wrote:
I am making an executable in V8 for the first time (having done it many times in 6.x and earlier).

I am running into one of the usual UnidentifiedObject doesn't understand new type of message.

David
Totally Objects

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/H79ksbfqVRAJ.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk?hl=en.
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David
Sorry Lou but you are missing the point. I have no trouble with sorting out the errors. After all, I have been using VAST since V3.0.

I don't get a walkback file. Tell me how to get the package to write one when there is an error and I will be fine.

David

On Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07:03 PM UTC+1, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Dave,

Can you tell us a bit more.  Do you get the error during packaging or when running the packaged image.  Can you show us the exact error message.

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/3mAY3AcyspEJ.
David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
Dave, 

maybe you should check your package instructions. What Image startup class are you using in your Packaged Image Browser?

AFAIK, there have not been any changes in this area since 6.0. But this should surely be checked by Instantiations.

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 09:39:05 UTC+2 schrieb Totally Objects:
Sorry Lou but you are missing the point. I have no trouble with sorting out the errors. After all, I have been using VAST since V3.0.

I don't get a walkback file. Tell me how to get the package to write one when there is an error and I will be fine.

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/OQgHBculm8gJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David
Well, I have to say that I am not doing anything different from every other time that I have made an executable. If there is some switch I can't find it.

I am using the defaults as they come and would expect to get a walkback log when it tells me to 'check the walkback log'. Seems reasonable to me after 17 years of working with VAST in all its shapes and forms.
David

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:59:14 AM UTC+1, [hidden email] wrote:
Dave, 

maybe you should check your package instructions. What Image startup class are you using in your Packaged Image Browser?

AFAIK, there have not been any changes in this area since 6.0. But this should surely be checked by Instantiations.

Joachim

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/lw6KdBGJkFQJ.
David
Totally Objects
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
Dave,

this may sound stupid, but have you checked if the image can write to the directory where you'd expect the error log to go to? Maybe all you have is a file permission problem?
As I said, AFAIK there have not been any changes to the way VAST writes walkbacks...

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 18:03:13 UTC+2 schrieb Totally Objects:
Well, I have to say that I am not doing anything different from every other time that I have made an executable. If there is some switch I can't find it.

I am using the defaults as they come and would expect to get a walkback log when it tells me to 'check the walkback log'. Seems reasonable to me after 17 years of working with VAST in all its shapes and forms.
David

Dave, 

Joachim

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/nLzKR9f4xXUJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David

The directory I am using is a sub-directory of the home directory for VAST. I have put a small logging process into the exe which is succesfully writing to the same directiry.

I am going to re-install the package into my 6.0.3 image and write the exectuable tere. I know I get a walkback from there.

At least I will be able to move on.
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:21:48 AM UTC+1, [hidden email] wrote:
Dave,

this may sound stupid, but have you checked if the image can write to the directory where you'd expect the error log to go to? Maybe all you have is a file permission problem?
As I said, AFAIK there have not been any changes to the way VAST writes walkbacks...

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 18:03:13 UTC+2 schrieb Totally Objects:

David

Dave, 

Joachim

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/yY2w1xSYWzsJ.
David
Totally Objects
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
In reply to this post by Long Haired David
Hey Dave,

It does seem like you have some kind of packaging problem.  At the very least something is missing or messed up to the point where you don't get a walkback.  A packaging problem can also be the cause of the "UnidentifiedObject doesn't understand new..." message because, if a class definition isn't packaged with the image, when the code tries to create an instance by sending #new to the missing class object, you will get this error.

I suggest you package from a clean image with all apps version-ed and released.  I have packaged with less than clean images that have worked fine but sometimes not so much.  Now I only do so to run a quick test that I can't run in development.  I have taken to building configurations, so I can start with a nearly empty image, load the config and package.

Lou

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:39:05 AM UTC-4, Totally Objects wrote:

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/Tf-8XvRZZJoJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmacq
Hi guys,

We -strongly- recommend using a clean image for packaging. 

Donald [|]

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:31:07 AM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hey Dave,

It does seem like you have some kind of packaging problem.  At the very least something is missing or messed up to the point where you don't get a walkback.  A packaging problem can also be the cause of the "UnidentifiedObject doesn't understand new..." message because, if a class definition isn't packaged with the image, when the code tries to create an instance by sending #new to the missing class object, you will get this error.

I suggest you package from a clean image with all apps version-ed and released.  I have packaged with less than clean images that have worked fine but sometimes not so much.  Now I only do so to run a quick test that I can't run in development.  I have taken to building configurations, so I can start with a nearly empty image, load the config and package.

Lou

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/pRLja3SS4j4J.
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David
Oh, don't I know that. I always start with a clean image and import config maps. I have been doing this for some time you know - grin.

I am going to do a new install of 8.5 tomorrow and load everything into it. I will keep you informed.

David

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:40:53 PM UTC+1, Donald MacQueen wrote:
Hi guys,

Donald [|]

Hey Dave,

Lou

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/gR7g0CBPQesJ.
David
Totally Objects
Reply | Threaded
|

Thomas Holzer
Hi Guys,

we had a similar problem:

http://forum.world.st/Walkback-log-Path-in-Windows-td3580737.html

Reason was that Windows Vista/7/2008 applications are not allowed to write in the Program Files directory.

Solution was for us, execute something like this at startUp of your runtime image:
EsImageStartUp walkbackFileName: ‘’C:\ProgramData\YourAppName\walkback.log’

Hope this helps

Greetings Thomas

Am Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 22:58:59 UTC+2 schrieb Totally Objects:
Oh, don't I know that. I always start with a clean image and import config maps. I have been doing this for some time you know - grin.

I am going to do a new install of 8.5 tomorrow and load everything into it. I will keep you informed.

David

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:40:53 PM UTC+1, Donald MacQueen wrote:
Hi guys,

Donald [|]

Hey Dave,

Lou

David

Hi Dave,

Lou

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/6BuA4dPA6FwJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David
In reply to this post by Totally Objects
That sorted it. I was suckered by the fact that I was writing log files so assumed that the permissions were OK but as I was writing to a sub directory it seemed to work.

I put that line in the startup class and I am now getting a walkback.

Thanks very much for your help.

David
Totally Objects.

On Monday, June 18, 2012 3:02:24 PM UTC+1, Totally Objects wrote:

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/jREYz7dbiF8J.
David
Totally Objects
Reply | Threaded
|

John O'Keefe-3
David -

Even easier if you are running on V8.5.1 (maybe this was in V8.5 also, I don't remember) -- you can specify the location in the .INI file, [Kernel] stanza, walkbackFilename=C:\Users\me\walkback.log (or something similar).

John

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:17:29 AM UTC-4, Totally Objects wrote:
That sorted it. I was suckered by the fact that I was writing log files so assumed that the permissions were OK but as I was writing to a sub directory it seemed to work.

David
Totally Objects.

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/EcfzAT0Jn5UJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Long Haired David
Thanks John.
David Pennington
Totally Objects
The Smalltalk Specialists

On 21 Jun 2012, at 17:17, John O'Keefe wrote:

David -

Even easier if you are running on V8.5.1 (maybe this was in V8.5 also, I don't remember) -- you can specify the location in the .INI file, [Kernel] stanza, walkbackFilename=C:\Users\me\walkback.log (or something similar).

John

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:17:29 AM UTC-4, Totally Objects wrote:

David
Totally Objects.

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/EcfzAT0Jn5UJ.

--
David
Totally Objects
Reply | Threaded
|

Klaus Breker
In reply to this post by Long Haired David
Hi,

we were also looking for a missing walkback.log of our in application installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\YourAppName for user YourUserName (no admin) under Windows 7 and found this and other files for app settings in

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\YourAppName.

The setting were read from the file in the VirtualStore directory and not from the one in the program directory. Another strange behaviour occurs, when the settings file should be saved. We do this via standard Windows file dialog trying to save the file in the program directory seems to be ok - complains, no error - but the file were saved into the VirtualStore directory.

The files are not read only in the program directory but the directory itself is flagged read only. How can I determine in this case, that I really have write permission for my files? Is this possible with the actual Cfs-Classes?

Greetings

Klaus

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 13:17:29 UTC+2 schrieb Totally Objects:

David
Totally Objects.

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/rTM5WKIg1toJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

John O'Keefe-3
Klaus -

VirtualStore is a feature of Windows (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb756960.aspx). If you are running on Win7, you should pay particular attention to User Account Control Complience in the Installation Guide (see http://www.instantiations.com/docs/852/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=ig/instgd25-win.html).

John

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:12:51 AM UTC-4, Klaus Breker wrote:
Hi,

we were also looking for a missing walkback.log of our in application installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\YourAppName for user YourUserName (no admin) under Windows 7 and found this and other files for app settings in

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\YourAppName.

The setting were read from the file in the VirtualStore directory and not from the one in the program directory. Another strange behaviour occurs, when the settings file should be saved. We do this via standard Windows file dialog trying to save the file in the program directory seems to be ok - complains, no error - but the file were saved into the VirtualStore directory.

The files are not read only in the program directory but the directory itself is flagged read only. How can I determine in this case, that I really have write permission for my files? Is this possible with the actual Cfs-Classes?

Greetings

Klaus

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 13:17:29 UTC+2 schrieb Totally Objects:

David
Totally Objects.

David
Totally Objects

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/I6NQ6aTiuAAJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Klaus Breker
Hi John,

thank you for your reply. But how can I determine, that I have UAC enabled? Is there anything in VA Smalltalk? Or I have to use #getPrivateProfileString.. and so..

Klaus

Am Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2012 14:34:03 UTC+2 schrieb John O'Keefe:
Klaus -

VirtualStore is a feature of Windows (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb756960.aspx). If you are running on Win7, you should pay particular attention to User Account Control Complience in the Installation Guide (see http://www.instantiations.com/docs/852/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=ig/instgd25-win.html).

John

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/EkFE9IaBn-4J.
Reply | Threaded
|

Klaus Breker
In reply to this post by John O'Keefe-3
Hi John,

thank you for your reply. But how can I determine, that I have UAC enabled? Is there anything in VA Smalltalk?

Klaus

Klaus -

John

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/F9poSWCs0WQJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

John O'Keefe-3
Klaus -

There is nothing in VA Smalltalk that will tell you  if UAC is enabled. However, VirtualStore is suppoed to be transparent to applications (accourding to the MSDN article I referenced).

John
On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:33:07 AM UTC-4, Klaus Breker wrote:
Hi John,

thank you for your reply. But how can I determine, that I have UAC enabled? Is there anything in VA Smalltalk?

Klaus

Klaus -

John

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/5wtvqIEsMKAJ.