Stupid question

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

I've got a stupid question... where is the code of aidademo site ?
Sorry, I cannot find it.

Nicolas
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Une pi?ce jointe non texte a ?t? nettoy?e...
Nom: non disponible
Type: application/pgp-signature
Taille: 189 octets
Desc: Ceci est une partie de message

Stupid question

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicolas,

nicolas petton wrote:

> I've got a stupid question... where is the code of aidademo site ?
> Sorry, I cannot find it.

Do you mean a code, which run what is shown  when you start a demo site?

First page is from WebDiscussions/WebDiscussionsApp (in Aida-Parts),
then there is WebDemoApp for demos, in same category, and WebAdminApp
from Aida-Admin.

For "blast from the past" you can also look at WebSecurityManagerApp
with a really old code, back to 1996 :)

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Stupid question

Nicolas Petton

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 ? 15:10 +0200, Janko Miv?ek a ?crit :
> Hi Nicolas,

Hi Janko
> nicolas petton wrote:
>
> > I've got a stupid question... where is the code of aidademo site ?
> > Sorry, I cannot find it.
>
> Do you mean a code, which run what is shown  when you start a demo site?
Yes

> First page is from WebDiscussions/WebDiscussionsApp (in Aida-Parts),
> then there is WebDemoApp for demos, in same category, and WebAdminApp
> from Aida-Admin.
Thanks, I saw it, but I mean the main part of the site (ie the header,
the sidebar on the left, stylesheet, etc). Does it make part of the
demo ?
I'm asking this because in the tutorial the new site is in fact a part
of the demo (even if I write "self add: e", the css is still there).

> For "blast from the past" you can also look at WebSecurityManagerApp
> with a really old code, back to 1996 :)

Cheers,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
Ma cl? GPG est disponible ici :
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE788C34D

Une pi?ce jointe non texte a ?t? nettoy?e...
Nom: non disponible
Type: application/pgp-signature
Taille: 189 octets
Desc: Ceci est une partie de message

Stupid question

Dirk Verleysen
Nicolas,

Start with WebStyle>>pageFrameWith:title:

The WebStyle catches the doesNotUnderstand from WebApplication when your viewMain method sends self pageFrameWith:title:

Dirk
Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 ? 15:10 +0200, Janko Miv?ek a ?crit :
> Hi Nicolas,

Hi Janko

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
Ma cl? GPG est disponible ici :
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE788C34D

Stupid question

Nicolas Petton

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 ? 20:17 +0200, Dirk Verleysen a ?crit :
> Nicolas,
>
> Start with WebStyle>>pageFrameWith:title:
>
> The WebStyle catches the doesNotUnderstand from WebApplication when your viewMain method sends self pageFrameWith:title:

Thanks a lot Dirk, now it's clearer to me :)
I think the main issue here is that I'm still thinking the Seaside
way...

Nicolas

> Dirk

Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
             ___
           ooooooo
          OOOOOOOOO
         |Smalltalk|
          OOOOOOOOO
           ooooooo
            \   /
             [|]
--------------------------------
Ma cl? GPG est disponible ici :
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE788C34D

Une pi?ce jointe non texte a ?t? nettoy?e...
Nom: non disponible
Type: application/pgp-signature
Taille: 189 octets
Desc: Ceci est une partie de message

WebStye (was stupid question)

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicolas,

>> Start with WebStyle>>pageFrameWith:title:
>>
>> The WebStyle catches the doesNotUnderstand from WebApplication when your viewMain method sends self pageFrameWith:title:
>
> Thanks a lot Dirk, now it's clearer to me :)
> I think the main issue here is that I'm still thinking the Seaside
> way...

Well, this redirection is strange on first sight for every Smalltalker
too, but with a bit of explanation you can understand the reason behind:
  a support for another separation between content and style - between
HTML and CSS. CSS support (and style support in general, like "framing"
of page with above mentioned method) is therefore delegated to WebStyle
and its subclasses.

Another neat feature is that you can change styles on runtime, simply by
changing style in AIDASite.

Third reason: that way you can host a same application to many customers
at once, with different style for each. That way you can simply
customize you app to customer wishes, but still run all of them from the
same image.

But WebStyle don't hold only CSS, but also images and JS code. Images
are stored in methods (so called method images). The same goes with
JavaScript code. This is similar to WAFileLibrary in Seaside.

And I'm extending WebStyle to support Joomla templates ...

Best regards
Janko

http://www.aidaweb.si

WebStye (was stupid question)

Nicolas Petton

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 ? 22:15 +0200, Janko Miv?ek a ?crit :

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> >> Start with WebStyle>>pageFrameWith:title:
> >>
> >> The WebStyle catches the doesNotUnderstand from WebApplication when your viewMain method sends self pageFrameWith:title:
> >
> > Thanks a lot Dirk, now it's clearer to me :)
> > I think the main issue here is that I'm still thinking the Seaside
> > way...
>
> Well, this redirection is strange on first sight for every Smalltalker
> too, but with a bit of explanation you can understand the reason behind:
>   a support for another separation between content and style - between
> HTML and CSS. CSS support (and style support in general, like "framing"
> of page with above mentioned method) is therefore delegated to WebStyle
> and its subclasses.

So, what is the best way to style a site ? Subclassing WebStyle, and
surcharging #pageFrameWith:title: and some other methods, or create a
new class from scratch (since WebStyle directly inherit from Object, and
this class has a lot of methods I may not want) ?

> Another neat feature is that you can change styles on runtime, simply by
> changing style in AIDASite.
>
> Third reason: that way you can host a same application to many customers
> at once, with different style for each. That way you can simply
> customize you app to customer wishes, but still run all of them from the
> same image.
>
> But WebStyle don't hold only CSS, but also images and JS code. Images
> are stored in methods (so called method images).
Is there a simple way to upload images into method images ?
>  The same goes with
> JavaScript code. This is similar to WAFileLibrary in Seaside.
>
> And I'm extending WebStyle to support Joomla templates ...
Very good :) !

Cheers

Nicolas

> Best regards
> Janko

Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
             ___
           ooooooo
          OOOOOOOOO
         |Smalltalk|
          OOOOOOOOO
           ooooooo
            \   /
             [|]
--------------------------------

nicolas petton wrote:

>> Well, this redirection is strange on first sight for every Smalltalker
>> too, but with a bit of explanation you can understand the reason behind:
>>   a support for another separation between content and style - between
>> HTML and CSS. CSS support (and style support in general, like "framing"
>> of page with above mentioned method) is therefore delegated to WebStyle
>> and its subclasses.
>
> So, what is the best way to style a site ? Subclassing WebStyle, and
> surcharging #pageFrameWith:title: and some other methods, or create a
> new class from scratch (since WebStyle directly inherit from Object, and
> this class has a lot of methods I may not want) ?

Subclassing WebStyle and overriding existing methods while reusing
WebStyle ones (like images) is the best way. Just ignore methods you
don't want or in case of css* methods override them with empty ones to
nil them. This is a bit clumsy, I know, I'm working on a solution...

>> Another neat feature is that you can change styles on runtime, simply by
>> changing style in AIDASite.
>>
>> Third reason: that way you can host a same application to many customers
>> at once, with different style for each. That way you can simply
>> customize you app to customer wishes, but still run all of them from the
>> same image.
>>
>> But WebStyle don't hold only CSS, but also images and JS code. Images
>> are stored in methods (so called method images).

> Is there a simple way to upload images into method images ?

Yes, see some method image how it was created, for instance

WebStyle>>arrowOrangeRightGif

        "'imgs/dars-arrow2.gif' asFilename contentsAsMethod"

This code in comment was inspected and result copied in a body of that
method image. This is how it is done on VisualWorks, On Squeak you have
String contentsAsMethod, which you can use similarly.

http://www.aidaweb.si

WebStye (was stupid question)

Nicolas Petton

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 ? 23:28 +0200, Janko Miv?ek a ?crit :

> nicolas petton wrote:
>
> >> Well, this redirection is strange on first sight for every Smalltalker
> >> too, but with a bit of explanation you can understand the reason behind:
> >>   a support for another separation between content and style - between
> >> HTML and CSS. CSS support (and style support in general, like "framing"
> >> of page with above mentioned method) is therefore delegated to WebStyle
> >> and its subclasses.
> >
> > So, what is the best way to style a site ? Subclassing WebStyle, and
> > surcharging #pageFrameWith:title: and some other methods, or create a
> > new class from scratch (since WebStyle directly inherit from Object, and
> > this class has a lot of methods I may not want) ?
>
> Subclassing WebStyle and overriding existing methods while reusing
> WebStyle ones (like images) is the best way. Just ignore methods you
> don't want or in case of css* methods override them with empty ones to
> nil them.

Will all css and javascript methods be automatically included ?

nicolas petton wrote:

>>> So, what is the best way to style a site ? Subclassing WebStyle, and
>>> surcharging #pageFrameWith:title: and some other methods, or create a
>>> new class from scratch (since WebStyle directly inherit from Object, and
>>> this class has a lot of methods I may not want) ?
>> Subclassing WebStyle and overriding existing methods while reusing
>> WebStyle ones (like images) is the best way. Just ignore methods you
>> don't want or in case of css* methods override them with empty ones to
>> nil them.
>
> Will all css and javascript methods be automatically included ?

Yes, and taht can be a problem for css* and cssPrint* methods, whic are
concatenated in alphabetical order together into /screen.css and
/print.css. To avoid unnecessary CSS, you need to 'empty' them by
overriding with a method returning an empty string, like:

WebStyle>>css22Links
   ^''