StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

The installation of the StyledTextEditor (STE) installation is now
very easy in 4.2.

- Just open a FileList
- and navigate to the 'packages' subdirectory
- and there the 'StyledTextEditor' subdirectory.
- Select 'StyledTextInstaller.pck.st'
- and click 'Install Package' in the FileList browser.

The the text editor is installed together with an example document
with a fragment of ''Macbeth' by Shakespeare and STE documentation.

Thank you Bernhard and Juan for this enhancement.

Regards

Hannes

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

Hannes Hirzel
P.S.

       StyledTextBuilder example2

constructs a styled text and then opens the StyledTextEditor on it.

On 8/3/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> The installation of the StyledTextEditor (STE) installation is now
> very easy in 4.2.
>
> - Just open a FileList
> - and navigate to the 'packages' subdirectory
> - and there the 'StyledTextEditor' subdirectory.
> - Select 'StyledTextInstaller.pck.st'
> - and click 'Install Package' in the FileList browser.
>
> The the text editor is installed together with an example document
> with a fragment of ''Macbeth' by Shakespeare and STE documentation.
>
> Thank you Bernhard and Juan for this enhancement.
>
> Regards
>
> Hannes

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

garduino
Yes, I love the simplicity and effectivity of the dependencies mechanism!

2013/8/3 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Hello

The installation of the StyledTextEditor (STE) installation is now
very easy in 4.2.

- Just open a FileList
- and navigate to the 'packages' subdirectory
- and there the 'StyledTextEditor' subdirectory.
- Select 'StyledTextInstaller.pck.st'
- and click 'Install Package' in the FileList browser.

The the text editor is installed together with an example document
with a fragment of ''Macbeth' by Shakespeare and STE documentation.

Thank you Bernhard and Juan for this enhancement.

Regards

Hannes

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, the installation process of STE has been made easy by Bernhard and Juan.

As far as I understand this has been achieved by the new directory
structure in 4.2 which includes STE. The dependency mechanism has not
been applied to STE yet.

I tested all the other *.pck.st files in the packages directory by

e.g.
     (Feature name: #'Sound') require.

(see class comment of the class 'Feature')
and it worked fine.

--Hannes

On 8/3/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I love the simplicity and effectivity of the dependencies mechanism!
>

> 2013/8/3 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello
>>
>> The installation of the StyledTextEditor (STE) installation is now
>> very easy in 4.2.
>>
>> - Just open a FileList
>> - and navigate to the 'packages' subdirectory
>> - and there the 'StyledTextEditor' subdirectory.
>> - Select 'StyledTextInstaller.pck.st'
>> - and click 'Install Package' in the FileList browser.
>>
>> The the text editor is installed together with an example document
>> with a fragment of ''Macbeth' by Shakespeare and STE documentation.
>>
>> Thank you Bernhard and Juan for this enhancement.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hannes

> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino
> www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

On 8/5/2013 9:01 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Yes, the installation process of STE has been made easy by Bernhard and Juan.
>
> As far as I understand this has been achieved by the new directory
> structure in 4.2 which includes STE. The dependency mechanism has not
> been applied to STE yet.
>
> I tested all the other *.pck.st files in the packages directory by
>
> e.g.
>       (Feature name: #'Sound') require.
>
> (see class comment of the class 'Feature')
> and it worked fine.
>
> --Hannes

With the stuff I just commited to github, including moving STE to a new
repo that is a sibling of Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev, you can install STE with

Feature require: 'StyledTextInstaller'

This uses package dependencies to load all that is needed.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

KenDickey

> Feature require: 'StyledTextInstaller'

Perhaps a package rename?

  Feature require: 'StyledTextInstall'.

or some such?

$0.02
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

KenDickey

Hmm.. perhaps

 Feature require: 'StyledTextEditor'

The README.md Installation section should be much shorter!

;^)
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Juan for implementing the new 'Feature' load mechanism.

On 8/8/13, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm.. perhaps
>
>  Feature require: 'StyledTextEditor'
>
> The README.md Installation section should be much shorter!

Something like this

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/README.md

?

--Hannes

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

KenDickey
On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:27:27 +0100
"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Juan for implementing the new 'Feature' load mechanism.
>
> On 8/8/13, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm.. perhaps
> >
> >  Feature require: 'StyledTextEditor'
> >
> > The README.md Installation section should be much shorter!
>

> Something like this
>
> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/README.md

Hannes

Yes, the Install section looks much better!

The rename request was in reaction to "requiring an installer".

 The expected result is that I get an installer for styled text -- which I then have to use to get styled text.  No mention of an editor..

Changing the package/category from 'StyledTextInstaller' to  'StyledTextEditor', which would allow me to
  Feature require: 'StyledTextEditor'

This is a bit of a misdirection, but I would expect to get a StyledTextEditor and indeed..

Hey, I confuse easy.  What can I tell you?
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD
bpi

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

bpi
Hi Ken,

By the way, the name of the runtime package is StyledText. That's all you need when you want to use it in an application.

The StyledTextInstaller includes some (quite incomplete) example applications. It used to load all packages in the right order. Hence the name. Now that we have Features, it should be renamed.

Cheers,
Bernhard

On 8/9/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> By the way, the name of the runtime package is StyledText. That's all you
> need when you want to use it in an application.

So you mean

      Feature require: 'StyledText'

should work as well?

> The StyledTextInstaller includes some (quite incomplete) example
> applications. It used to load all packages in the right order. Hence the
> name. Now that we have Features, it should be renamed.

Yes, to what?

Regards
Hannes

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

Hannes Hirzel
N.B.

    Feature require: 'StyledTextInstaller'

works fine.

bpi

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

bpi
Hi Hannes,

see below

Am 09.08.2013 um 21:04 schrieb H. Hirzel:
>> By the way, the name of the runtime package is StyledText. That's all you
>> need when you want to use it in an application.
> So you mean
>      Feature require: 'StyledText'
> should work as well?
Yes, it loads all packages except the example applications (StyledTextNotebook.pck.st and StyledTextWiki.pck.st) and StyledTextInstaller, which includes documentation and some development time utilities like recreating StyleSets.

If you would write your own application you would only load StyledText at deployment time.

>> The StyledTextInstaller includes some (quite incomplete) example
>> applications. It used to load all packages in the right order. Hence the
>> name. Now that we have Features, it should be renamed.
> Yes, to what?
Good question:
a) StyledTextDev
b) StyledTextDevelopment
c) StyledTextUtilities
d) StyledTextDocumentation
e) StyledTextTools
f) better ideas?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

KenDickey
On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:39:23 +0200
Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> By the way, the name of the runtime package is StyledText. That's all you need when you want to use it in an application.
>
> The StyledTextInstaller includes some (quite incomplete) example applications. It used to load all packages in the right order. Hence the name. Now that we have Features, it should be renamed.

Perhaps 'StyledTextExamples'  ??

--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: StyledTextEditor installation is very easy in 4.2!

KenDickey
On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 14:29:36 -0700
>> Now that we have Features, it should be renamed.
>
> Perhaps 'StyledTextExamples'  ??

  'StyledTextSampler' ??