Subclassed method comparaison

Maarten Mostert-2

Hi,

Is there a way to use the method comparaison tool, between two methods that are subclassed from each other.

Like an RB extension I am not aware of  …

Rgrds,

@+Maarten

Re: Subclassed method comparaison

Steven Kelly
Maarten Mostert wrote Sat 21/12/2013 12:15:

Is there a way to use the method comparaison tool, between two methods that are
> subclassed from each other.

In the method pane pop-up menu, choose Visibility | Show All Inherited (or similar). You can now see the same selector from both the superclass and subclass. Select both and the Compare tab will show them (sadly with the old compare tool, not the new SideBySideTextComparisonView).

Interestingly, in 7.10 the Overridden tab, which does use SideBySideTextComparisonView, fails to show any content if there are no sources. The old comparison view in the Compare tab correctly shows decompiled code.

Steve

Re: Subclassed method comparaison

Niall Ross
Dear Marten,
    as well as Steve's method, you can select either method, then do
'Browse Hierarchy Implementors' and so get a 2-pane browser of the
methods.  Select them both and click the 'Compare' tab, as for Steve's
case.  This means opening an extra window but saves you from changing
the visibility in the original browser;  I use whichever suits the work
I'm doing at that moment.

             HTH
                Niall Ross

>Maarten Mostert wrote Sat 21/12/2013 12:15:
>

>>Is there a way to use the method comparaison tool, between two methods that are
>>subclassed from each other.
>>

>In the method pane pop-up menu, choose Visibility | Show All Inherited (or similar). You can now see the same selector from both the superclass and subclass. Select both and the Compare tab will show them (sadly with the old compare tool, not the new SideBySideTextComparisonView).
>
>Interestingly, in 7.10 the Overridden tab, which does use SideBySideTextComparisonView, fails to show any content if there are no sources. The old comparison view in the Compare tab correctly shows decompiled code.
>
>Steve

Re: Subclassed method comparaison

Maarten Mostert-2
Thank you Nial,

I think however that it would be a logical extension of the browser to be able to compare methods with a click of the context menu especial as it indicates the existence of subclass or super class methods already. And the new compare tool is pritty visual on that.

Regards,

@+Maarten,