Subpresenters - reference or copy

Gunnar Martinsen
In VAST, if you create a form A and use it in form B, then any change
afterwords in form A is also seen in form B. I would say that the link
from B down to A is by reference.

In Dolphin, if you create a view for a presenter A and use it in a
view for a presenter B, then later direct changes to the view for A
are not seen in the view for B. Here, I understand the view from A is
blue-copied over to B.

Is there a way that views can be linked more than copied? I sometimes
need to change the outlook of a view, and let it be seen in all other
views using it. Is there an easy way to do this, instead of removing
and reinserting the changed view everywhere it's beeing used? It could
even happen that the code in the presenter A is changed as a result of
the change in the view. As B will notify the presenter changes, but
not the view changes, B's behaviour will be somehow inconsistent.

Re: Subpresenters - reference or copy

Bill Schwab-2
Gunnar,

> Is there a way that views can be linked more than copied? I sometimes
> need to change the outlook of a view, and let it be seen in all other
> views using it. Is there an easy way to do this, instead of removing
> and reinserting the changed view everywhere it's beeing used? It could
> even happen that the code in the presenter A is changed as a result of
> the change in the view. As B will notify the presenter changes, but
> not the view changes, B's behaviour will be somehow inconsistent.

Look for Reference Views.  In the view composer, alt-drag from the toolbox
to create one.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Subpresenters - reference or copy

Don Rylander-3
Gunnar,
"Gunnar Martinsen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
[...]
> Is there a way that views can be linked more than copied? I sometimes
> need to change the outlook of a view, and let it be seen in all other
> views using it. Is there an easy way to do this, instead of removing
> and reinserting the changed view everywhere it's beeing used? It could
> even happen that the code in the presenter A is changed as a result of
> the change in the view. As B will notify the presenter changes, but
> not the view changes, B's behaviour will be somehow inconsistent.

Holding the ALT key down as you drag an item onto a view in the
ViewComposer creates a ReferenceView, which should result in the
behavior you're looking for.  It will show a little "shortcut" arrow,
indicating that it's linked to the source view, instead of the usual plus
sign for a copy.

Don

Re: Subpresenters - reference or copy

Stefan Schmiedl
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:07:42 -0600,
Don Rylander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gunnar,
> "Gunnar Martinsen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> [...]
>> Is there a way that views can be linked more than copied? I sometimes
>
> Holding the ALT key down as you drag an item onto a view in the
> ViewComposer creates a ReferenceView, which should result in the
> behavior you're looking for.  It will show a little "shortcut" arrow,
> indicating that it's linked to the source view, instead of the usual plus
> sign for a copy.

doh!

wish i had known this earlier ...
should have read the manual, i guess....

s.

"Don Rylander" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<a3osg0$19pu4s$[hidden email]>...

> Holding the ALT key down as you drag an item onto a view in the
> ViewComposer creates a ReferenceView, which should result in the
> behavior you're looking for.  It will show a little "shortcut" arrow,
> indicating that it's linked to the source view, instead of the usual plus
> sign for a copy.
>
> Don

Exactly what I was asking for! Thanks a lot, to stupid I didn't know this before...

Regards
Gunnar