SuffixConditionals

Torsten Bergmann
SuffixConditionals adds #if: and #unless methods to BlockClosure. Currently in VisualWorks but can be ported to other Smalltalks (like Pharo) as well.

Read here:
http://forum.world.st/ANN-SuffixConditionals-td4755785.html

Code is on Cincom Public Repo and snaphots on
https://github.com/randycoulman/SuffixConditionals

Re: SuffixConditionals

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Torsten Bergmann wrote
SuffixConditionals adds #if: and #unless methods to BlockClosure. Currently in VisualWorks but can be ported to other Smalltalks (like Pharo) as well.
Good idea! It is MIT and would be a great bridge for a Ruby community in the spirit of http://forum.world.st/a-Pharo-talk-from-a-ruby-conference-tp4756805p4757055.html :
Q: ifTrue: and ifFalse: look weird to me. Why can't I have more readable control flow statements like Ruby?
A: You can! Simply load SuffixConditionals from the Configuration Browser and you can write things like:
    [process stop] if: process isRunning
    and
    [process start] unless: process isRunning

Also would be a great answer when this inevitably comes up in the endless "why isn't Smalltalk as popular as Ruby" conversations (http://stackoverflow.com/a/438986/424245)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: SuffixConditionals

Torsten Bergmann
As it is MIT I ported it to Pharo:

Code is available on
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/SuffixConditionals

One can load it from the config browser

Bye
T.

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. April 2014 um 14:29 Uhr
> Von: "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] SuffixConditionals
>
> Torsten Bergmann wrote
> > SuffixConditionals adds #if: and #unless methods to BlockClosure.
> > Currently in VisualWorks but can be ported to other Smalltalks (like
> > Pharo) as well.
>
> Good idea! It is MIT and would be a great bridge for a Ruby community in the
> spirit of
> http://forum.world.st/a-Pharo-talk-from-a-ruby-conference-tp4756805p4757055.html
> :
> Q: ifTrue: and ifFalse: look weird to me. Why can't I have more readable
> control flow statements like Ruby?
> A: You can! Simply load SuffixConditionals from the Configuration Browser
> and you can write things like:
>     [process stop] if: process isRunning
>     and
>     [process start] unless: process isRunning
>
> Also would be a great answer when this inevitably comes up in the endless
> "why isn't Smalltalk as popular as Ruby" conversations
> (http://stackoverflow.com/a/438986/424245)
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: SuffixConditionals

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator

On Apr 30, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Torsten Bergmann [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As it is MIT I ported it to Pharo:
Cool! Thanks :) Was it straightforward to port? I haven’t ported anything from VW in a while. Xtreams was in my sights - we did a proof of concept with filetree and cyprus mapping namespaces to prefixes. Should revisit that...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: SuffixConditionals

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thanks Torsten.

I've been using my own favorite suffix conditional: #haltIfTrue.

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

> As it is MIT I ported it to Pharo:
>
> Code is available on
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/SuffixConditionals
>
> One can load it from the config browser
>
> Bye
> T.
>
>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. April 2014 um 14:29 Uhr
>> Von: "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] SuffixConditionals
>>
>> Torsten Bergmann wrote
>> > SuffixConditionals adds #if: and #unless methods to BlockClosure.
>> > Currently in VisualWorks but can be ported to other Smalltalks (like
>> > Pharo) as well.
>>
>> Good idea! It is MIT and would be a great bridge for a Ruby community in the
>> spirit of
>> http://forum.world.st/a-Pharo-talk-from-a-ruby-conference-tp4756805p4757055.html
>> :
>> Q: ifTrue: and ifFalse: look weird to me. Why can't I have more readable
>> control flow statements like Ruby?
>> A: You can! Simply load SuffixConditionals from the Configuration Browser
>> and you can write things like:
>>     [process stop] if: process isRunning
>>     and
>>     [process start] unless: process isRunning
>>
>> Also would be a great answer when this inevitably comes up in the endless
>> "why isn't Smalltalk as popular as Ruby" conversations
>> (http://stackoverflow.com/a/438986/424245)
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean

Re: SuffixConditionals

Torsten Bergmann
It was a "no-brainer", I did'nt even load the code into VisualWorks
(which I do not have installed these days as I have no up to date copy/version).

I just checked https://github.com/randycoulman/SuffixConditionals, the *.pst
files are XML files and are therefore readable. 3 extension methods
if:, unless:, and if:else: methods to BlockClosure
plus a few tests.

Feel free to do the same with Xtreams ;)

Bye
T.

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. April 2014 um 16:07 Uhr
Von: "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] SuffixConditionals
On Apr 30, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Torsten Bergmann [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As it is MIT I ported it to Pharo:
Cool! Thanks :) Was it straightforward to port? I haven’t ported anything from VW in a while. Xtreams was in my sights - we did a proof of concept with filetree and cyprus mapping namespaces to prefixes. Should revisit that...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: SuffixConditionals

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator

I just checked https://github.com/randycoulman/SuffixConditionals, the *.pst
files are XML files and are therefore readable
Ha, cool!

Cheers,
Sean