Suggestion for another help window

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Juan

In Squeak and Pharo the Transcript window is like a Workspace.

For me when I first saw that this is different in Cuis I was wondering
why this is so.

http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/2012-August/000195.html

At first glance it seems unnecessary reduction.

You then listed the reasons for this
http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/2012-August/000197.html

May I propose to add another help window

Title: 'About the Transcript window'

with the content

In Cuis, the Transcript is not an editor and it doesn't allow the usual
operations of a text editor. This was necessary to implement these
properties (Cuis 3.1 release notes):

            Fast (Calls return quickly)
            Fast (Updates are immediate)
            Thread safe
            Can log to file in addition to Display
            Display output is optional (for headless images)
            Can work on a bare bones image (Doesn't need UI, dependency,
events, processes)
            Optional morphic window for seamless integration in Morphic
            UI framework agnostic. Can be used to debug Morphic, even
with the morphic window open, without crashing the image!
            No longer a text editor. Display is read only.

So, Transcript is not a part of Morphic anymore, and just blits contents
to the Display. You need to do right click / workspace with contents.
This opens a workspace, where you can select and copy portions.

Reason:
People should not perceive the Transcript window as being deficient
but actually make active use of the new facilities (e.g. in analyzing
Morphic)

It would actually even be good that this is implemented in Squeak as well.

Kind regards
Hannes

Re: Suggestion for another help window

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello Juan
>
> In Squeak and Pharo the Transcript window is like a Workspace.
>
> For me when I first saw that this is different in Cuis I was wondering
> why this is so.
>
> http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/2012-August/000195.html
>
> At first glance it seems unnecessary reduction.
>
> You then listed the reasons for this
> http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/2012-August/000197.html
>
> May I propose to add another help window
>
> Title: 'About the Transcript window'

Good idea. Will add it later today.

> with the content
>
> In Cuis, the Transcript is not an editor and it doesn't allow the usual
> operations of a text editor. This was necessary to implement these
> properties (Cuis 3.1 release notes):
>
>             Fast (Calls return quickly)
>             Fast (Updates are immediate)
>             Thread safe
>             Can log to file in addition to Display
>             Display output is optional (for headless images)
>             Can work on a bare bones image (Doesn't need UI, dependency,
> events, processes)
>             Optional morphic window for seamless integration in Morphic
>             UI framework agnostic. Can be used to debug Morphic, even
> with the morphic window open, without crashing the image!
>             No longer a text editor. Display is read only.
>
> So, Transcript is not a part of Morphic anymore, and just blits contents
> to the Display. You need to do right click / workspace with contents.
> This opens a workspace, where you can select and copy portions.
>

> Reason:
> People should not perceive the Transcript window as being deficient
> but actually make active use of the new facilities (e.g. in analyzing
> Morphic)
>
> It would actually even be good that this is implemented in Squeak as well.

That was my intention. See
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-February/157402.html
. However, Eliot failed to declare me a hero ;) , and Squeak didn't
include it. When anybody starts hacking Morphic seriously, the need for
such a tool becomes evident...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> Kind regards
> Hannes

Re: Suggestion for another help window

garduino
This is always a challenge, I mean collect all the knowledge disperse on the mailing lists.

Don't think you that more than tons of workspaces we should port the Help System? Someone looked into it to understand if is a big job?

Just my 2 cents....

2013/1/4 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>
Hi Hannes,