Suggestion regarding search for senders/implementors

Suggestion regarding search for senders/implementors

Volker Zink
The search for senders/implementors is case insensitive which means if i
search for 'commonCache' also 'CommonCache' is found if somewhere a
symbol #CommonCache is used, AND in the resulting list uppercase is
sorted before lowercase (if i enter lowercase, lowercase should be
sorted before uppercase), so quite often i have a result list which is
too large and in my eyes wrong sorted, because even if i enter the exact
name of the method, the right result is NOT in the first place of the
result list.

IMHO thats annoying. I would suggest to make this search per default
case sensitive with the option to make it case insensitive (a checkbox?)
if i am unsure about case. (I am working in VW 7.3.1).

Volker

Volker.Zink.vcf (328 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestion regarding search for senders/implementors

Runar Jordahl
The problem is more general: Searching through symbols will give many
false hits. It would be better if the incremental search was changed
to only search actual selectors.

I have blogged about this and suggest a fix:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3327668738

Runar Jordahl

Re: Suggestion regarding search for senders/implementors

Chris Winemiller
Runar Jordahl wrote:
> The problem is more general: Searching through symbols will give many
> false hits. It would be better if the incremental search was changed
> to only search actual selectors.
>
> I have blogged about this and suggest a fix:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3327668738

If your fix were adopted by Cincom, then how would one search for
senders of a Symbol, where the Symbol might or might not be a selector?

Chris

AW: Suggestion regarding search for senders/implementors

BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA)

I very much like to have the possibility to find also the usage of
specific symbols. If that was deleted from the 'senders' search,
I would like to have it as different menu-item.

Karl-Albert Breith
AREVA NP GmbH
FEEC - G
Freyeslebenstrasse 1
91058 Erlangen
Phone: +49 (0) 9131 18-97393
Fax: +49 (0) 9131 18-94045
mail to:  [hidden email]
An AREVA and Siemens company

Runar,

i would not like to change the system in the way you suggest because
sometimes i want to search for Symbols and i don't want to loose this
possibility. But mostly i search for implementors only, so maybe another
checkbox if i want to search for implementors or for Symbols?

Volker

Runar Jordahl wrote:

> The problem is more general: Searching through symbols will give many
> false hits. It would be better if the incremental search was changed
> to only search actual selectors.
>
> I have blogged about this and suggest a fix:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3327668738
>

> Runar Jordahl

Volker.Zink.vcf (328 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: AW: Suggestion regarding search for senders/implementors

Steve Aldred
BREITH Karl-Albert FEEC-G (AREVA NP GmbH) wrote:
> I very much like to have the possibility to find also the usage of
> specific symbols. If that was deleted from the 'senders' search,
> I would like to have it as different menu-item.

I agree. Being able to find symbol references is very useful.
Perhaps an indicator in the list could show if there was a corresponding
method or not?

Then again, I tend to use the ThreePaneSelectorsBrowser which gives you
a list of matching selectors you can work your way down and readily see
if there are implementors/senders or not.

Steve A
http://softwarewithstyle.com

Runar Jordahl wrote:
> The problem is more general: Searching through symbols will give many
> false hits. It would be better if the incremental search was changed
> to only search actual selectors.
When searching for implementors I agree, symbols are of no use. However
when searching for senders they can be very useful as I frequently see
code that may have actual senders but also perform: of a symbol
reference. The more common the method name, the more likely this happens.

Steve Aldred wrote:

> BREITH Karl-Albert FEEC-G (AREVA NP GmbH) wrote:
>> I very much like to have the possibility to find also the usage of
>> specific symbols. If that was deleted from the 'senders' search,
>> I would like to have it as different menu-item.
>>
> I agree. Being able to find symbol references is very useful.
> Perhaps an indicator in the list could show if there was a
> corresponding method or not?
>
> Then again, I tend to use the ThreePaneSelectorsBrowser which gives
> you a list of matching selectors you can work your way down and
> readily see if there are implementors/senders or not.
>
> Steve A
> http://softwarewithstyle.com

But the problem regarding Symbols is the same in the
ThreePaneSelectorsBrowser. You just see the result after clicking on a
Method/Symbol. If i enter the exact method name often another entry is
shown because there is a symbol with almost the same name (except case).
Thats annoying in the ThreePaneSelectorsBrowser too. Maybe there should
be three Buttons in ThreePaneSelectorsBrowser: Senders/Implementors/Symbols.