Suggestions for MonticelloImporter

1 message Options

Suggestions for MonticelloImporter

jtuchel
Hi,

MonticelloImporter right now is in Beta, so maybe this suggestion is on your list already, but I thought some ideas and suggestions never hurt.

I just tried importing Sven van Caekenberges's STON into VAST. It stopped telling me that it cannot load it because STON tries to extend the TimeStamp class which isn't in the image.

It wasn't too hard to resolve anyways in that case, I simply added a new application and Subclassed AbtTimestamp and restarted the importer. So now I have two AbtTimestamp subclasses: Timestamp (for Glorp) and TimeStamp (for STON). But that's not the point of my post (maybe we need a nice solution for Timestamps in VAST's Grease version).

What I wanted to suggest is that the MonticelloImporter could ask me if I happen to know if the extension methods should be added to some class that is present in VAST. So it could prompt me for Classes in the image to which extension methods could be added. Even better, it could also offer me the option to create a new class and add the methods to it. In both cases, it should add some entry to a logfile that reminds me of the fact that there is something to do with these methods. Now that we have log4s, this could be a cool feature of the Monticello Importer: an automated todo-list ;-)

While we're at it, MonticelloImporter could also run the 'possible bugs' and 'bugs' Lint checks on the newly imported code to complete the todo-list. These topics should also be added to the todo-log of the import.

I better stop now, because I begin to develop cool but crazy ideas of what could be done and how a GUI for the importer could look like....

Just let me add one comment: for a Beta version, the Monticello Importer works really nice!

Joachim