Suggestions for simple & easy-to-use libraries for HTTP and JSON?

Suggestions for simple & easy-to-use libraries for HTTP and JSON?

bahman
Hi all,

Apparently, I finally have the time to do something serious with Pharo.  And I'm intending to get started ASAP before any interruptions :-)

I'm planning to write a GUI front-end for an application that provides JSON interface --the JSON provider is Fossil SCM (fossil-scm.org).  As the first step I need an HTTP client library that can handle GET/POST requests and a JSON parsing library.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for those libraries.

TIA,
--
Bahman Movaqar  (http://BahmanM.com)

ERP Evaluation, Implementation & Deployment Consultant
PGP Key ID: 0x6AB5BD68 (keyserver2.pgp.com)

Re: Suggestions for simple & easy-to-use libraries for HTTP and JSON?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Bahman,

On 04 Nov 2013, at 20:13, Bahman Movaqar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apparently, I finally have the time to do something serious with Pharo.  And I'm intending to get started ASAP before any interruptions :-)
>
> I'm planning to write a GUI front-end for an application that provides JSON interface --the JSON provider is Fossil SCM (fossil-scm.org).  As the first step I need an HTTP client library that can handle GET/POST requests and a JSON parsing library.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for those libraries.

HTTP is, of course built in. For JSON parsing, you can use NeoJSON. Open the Configuration Browser and install is. Then you can do things like:

ZnClient new
  systemPolicy;
  url: 'http://easy.t3-platform.net/rest/geo-ip';
  queryAt: 'address' put: '81.83.7.35';
  accept: ZnMimeType applicationJson;
  contentReader: [ :entity | NeoJSONReader fromString: entity contents ];
  get.

PUT, POST & DELETE are easy as well. I am using this all the time.

Here is some more documentation:

http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/zinc-http-components-paper.html
https://github.com/svenvc/docs/blob/master/neo/neo-json-paper.md

HTH,

Sven

On 11/04/2013 23:33, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi Bahman,
>
> On 04 Nov 2013, at 20:13, Bahman Movaqar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Apparently, I finally have the time to do something serious with Pharo.  And I'm intending to get started ASAP before any interruptions :-)
>>
>> I'm planning to write a GUI front-end for an application that provides JSON interface --the JSON provider is Fossil SCM (fossil-scm.org).  As the first step I need an HTTP client library that can handle GET/POST requests and a JSON parsing library.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for those libraries.
> HTTP is, of course built in. For JSON parsing, you can use NeoJSON. Open the Configuration Browser and install is. Then you can do things like:
>
> ZnClient new
>   systemPolicy;
>   url: 'http://easy.t3-platform.net/rest/geo-ip';
>   queryAt: 'address' put: '81.83.7.35';
>   accept: ZnMimeType applicationJson;
>   contentReader: [ :entity | NeoJSONReader fromString: entity contents ];
>   get.
>
> PUT, POST & DELETE are easy as well. I am using this all the time.
>
> Here is some more documentation:
>
> http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/zinc-http-components-paper.html
> https://github.com/svenvc/docs/blob/master/neo/neo-json-paper.md

Thanks Sven.  That works for me.