[SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

12

[SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Yann Monclair-2

Hello,

I have been doing some progress on my iCalendar during ESUG 2006. I uploaded an
image on http://icalendar.seasidehosting.st
Please feel free to play with it, so far it's only one "session" for everyone. I
hope to add a user login system by the end of next week, and have a version
people can start using.

You can read about my project on my blog http://yann.monclair.info/summertalk

Thank you very much,

Yann

Commanche image file problem

Jason Johnson-3
I'm trying to serve simple static pages with Commanche but it doesn't
seem willing to serve images.  I was planning on doing a seaside
application and having my own stylesheets feed the image from the server
directly, but if it wont serve jpeg files that will be some what of a
setback. :)  It says "incorrect utf8 data detected" or something like
that if I browse the file directly in the browser.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Re: Commanche image file problem

Jason Johnson-3
Jason Johnson wrote:

> I'm trying to serve simple static pages with Commanche but it doesn't
> seem willing to serve images.  I was planning on doing a seaside
> application and having my own stylesheets feed the image from the
> server directly, but if it wont serve jpeg files that will be some
> what of a setback. :)  It says "incorrect utf8 data detected" or
> something like that if I browse the file directly in the browser.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jason

Oh I should mention, I started the server like this:

|seaside := WAKom default.
ma := ModuleAssembly core.
ma serverRoot: (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'FileRoot') fullName.
ma alias: '/seaside' to: [ma addPlug: [:request | seaside process: request]].
ma documentRoot: (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'FileRoot') fullName.
ma directoryIndex: 'index.html index.htm'.
ma serveFiles.
(HttpService startOn: 8080 named: 'httpd') plug: ma rootModule|

I am running on a 3.9 image.

Re: Commanche image file problem

cdavidshaffer
Jason Johnson wrote:

> Jason Johnson wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to serve simple static pages with Commanche but it doesn't
>> seem willing to serve images.  I was planning on doing a seaside
>> application and having my own stylesheets feed the image from the
>> server directly, but if it wont serve jpeg files that will be some
>> what of a setback. :)  It says "incorrect utf8 data detected" or
>> something like that if I browse the file directly in the browser.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jason
>>

> [snip]

Maybe Kom is returning an error message instead of the file contents.
Try: (HttpService serviceNamed: 'httpd') mode: #debug and then hit your
server from the browser.  Do you get a debugger?  If not, maybe it is a
file encoding problem.  Set a halt in ModFile>>processHttp and see if
anything looks fishy.

David

David Shaffer wrote:

> Jason Johnson wrote:
>

>> Jason Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to serve simple static pages with Commanche but it doesn't
>>> seem willing to serve images.  I was planning on doing a seaside
>>> application and having my own stylesheets feed the image from the
>>> server directly, but if it wont serve jpeg files that will be some
>>> what of a setback. :)  It says "incorrect utf8 data detected" or
>>> something like that if I browse the file directly in the browser.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Jason
>>>

>> [snip]
>>

> Maybe Kom is returning an error message instead of the file contents.
> Try: (HttpService serviceNamed: 'httpd') mode: #debug and then hit your
> server from the browser.  Do you get a debugger?  If not, maybe it is a
> file encoding problem.  Set a halt in ModFile>>processHttp and see if
> anything looks fishy.
>
> David

Actually I found the problem.  It is in the class ModFile in the
KomHttpServer-Modules group.  It does the following:

HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
                fromStream: (FileDirectory default readOnlyFileNamed:
fullFilePath)).

But if I do

a := FileDirectory default readOnlyFileNamed: 'C:\location to my jpeg file'.

It evaluates to a MultiByteStream and the first time I do a next on this
stream I get an execption "Invalide UTF8 input detected".

I'm not really sure what to do here.  I didn't see any other modules to
try and use that expected images.

Re: Commanche image file problem

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Jason Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually I found the problem.  It is in the class ModFile in the
> KomHttpServer-Modules group.  It does the following:
>
> HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
>                 fromStream: (FileDirectory default readOnlyFileNamed:
> fullFilePath)).

You must be running a KomHttpServer older than 7.0.3. The latest version
(7.0.4) of that method reads:

        HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
                                fromStream: (StandardFileStream readOnlyFileNamed: fullFilePath)).
        ^true

The problem occurred in 3.8 already and was fixed in KomHttpServer
7.0.3.
My current workaround is to specifically use StandardFileStream in this
case - we just want to dump the bytes back to the browser anyway.

regards, Göran

Re: Commanche image file problem

Jason Johnson-3
Ausome, that fixed it.  Thanks.  I just downloaded a 3.9 image from the
ftp server and then used the Pier install
in squeak map which pulled in Comanche and everything.  I have not been
able to figure out how to use Monticello yet (the files I think I should
download are already bold, and I figure that means I have them already?).

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Jason Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Actually I found the problem.  It is in the class ModFile in the
>> KomHttpServer-Modules group.  It does the following:
>>
>> HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
>>                 fromStream: (FileDirectory default readOnlyFileNamed:
>> fullFilePath)).
>>

> You must be running a KomHttpServer older than 7.0.3. The latest version
> (7.0.4) of that method reads:
>
> HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
> fromStream: (StandardFileStream readOnlyFileNamed: fullFilePath)).
> ^true
>
> The problem occurred in 3.8 already and was fixed in KomHttpServer
> 7.0.3.
> My current workaround is to specifically use StandardFileStream in this
> case - we just want to dump the bytes back to the browser anyway.
>
> regards, Göran

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Bakki Kudva
Yann,

Looks very nice! Congrats on great work. Just a quick question from a
newbie. Can this be embedded in a Seaside WAFrameComponent?

-bakki

Jason Johnson wrote:

> Ausome, that fixed it.  Thanks.  I just downloaded a 3.9 image from
> the ftp server and then used the Pier install
> in squeak map which pulled in Comanche and everything.  I have not
> been able to figure out how to use Monticello yet (the files I think I
> should download are already bold, and I figure that means I have them
> already?).
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Jason Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually I found the problem.  It is in the class ModFile in the
>>> KomHttpServer-Modules group.  It does the following:
>>>
>>> HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
>>>                 fromStream: (FileDirectory default
>>> readOnlyFileNamed: fullFilePath)).
>>>

>> You must be running a KomHttpServer older than 7.0.3. The latest version
>> (7.0.4) of that method reads:
>>
>>     HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse                 fromStream:
>> (StandardFileStream readOnlyFileNamed: fullFilePath)).
>>     ^true
>>
>> The problem occurred in 3.8 already and was fixed in KomHttpServer
>> 7.0.3.
>> My current workaround is to specifically use StandardFileStream in this
>> case - we just want to dump the bytes back to the browser anyway.
>>
>> regards, Göran

Does seaside have some kind of problem with german characters (e.g. ä,
ö, ü)?  I noticed the problem in Pier, but I haven't been able to tell
where it is happening yet.

Re: Commanche image file problem

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Jason Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ausome, that fixed it.  Thanks.  I just downloaded a 3.9 image from the
> ftp server and then used the Pier install
> in squeak map which pulled in Comanche and everything.  I have not been

Ok, Pier then probably installs an older KomHttpServer, not sure.

> able to figure out how to use Monticello yet (the files I think I should
> download are already bold, and I figure that means I have them already?).

No, bold means that you don't have that version installed - since each
version knows its full ancestry this means that if you install a version
then all ancestors of that version are marked as non bold. So in short -
if you see bold versions - then they contain changes that you do not
have.

regards, Göran

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Jason Rogers-4
Nice job!  Some comments:

 - I like the GreyBox effect.
 - It would be nice to have a Cancel button on the GreyBox pop-up
 - I think you should look at your oridinals logic: '13rd' should be '13th'
 - The column headings make the page seem really busy, perhaps you
should show the month you are looking at in one place and then just
show the day and day of the week in the column headings
 - I was confused by the blue text in the column headings and the '+'
on Todo List items: I thought they were links that should take me
somewhere

On 9/8/06, Bakki Kudva <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yann,
>
> Looks very nice! Congrats on great work. Just a quick question from a
> newbie. Can this be embedded in a Seaside WAFrameComponent?
>
> -bakki
>
> On 9/7/06, Yann Monclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been doing some progress on my iCalendar during ESUG 2006. I uploaded an
> > image on http://icalendar.seasidehosting.st
> > Please feel free to play with it, so far it's only one "session" for everyone. I
> > hope to add a user login system by the end of next week, and have a version
> > people can start using.
> >
> > You can read about my project on my blog http://yann.monclair.info/summertalk
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Yann

Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Jason Rogers wrote:

> Nice job!  Some comments:
>
> - I like the GreyBox effect.
> - It would be nice to have a Cancel button on the GreyBox pop-up
> - I think you should look at your oridinals logic: '13rd' should be
> '13th'
> - The column headings make the page seem really busy, perhaps you
> should show the month you are looking at in one place and then just
> show the day and day of the week in the column headings
> - I was confused by the blue text in the column headings and the '+'
> on Todo List items: I thought they were links that should take me
> somewhere
>
> On 9/8/06, Bakki Kudva <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yann,
>>
>> Looks very nice! Congrats on great work. Just a quick question from a
>> newbie. Can this be embedded in a Seaside WAFrameComponent?
>>
>> -bakki
>>
>> On 9/7/06, Yann Monclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have been doing some progress on my iCalendar during ESUG 2006. I
>> uploaded an
>> > image on http://icalendar.seasidehosting.st
>> > Please feel free to play with it, so far it's only one "session"
>> for everyone. I
>> > hope to add a user login system by the end of next week, and have a
>> version
>> > people can start using.
>> >
>> > You can read about my project on my blog
>> http://yann.monclair.info/summertalk
>> >
>> > Thank you very much,
>> >
>> > Yann

Is this application a smalltalk app that just happens to have a web
interface? (that's what it looks like)  I am working on a site now that
I planned on using a calender on but it will be a headless image, so I
don't want anything to pop up in the GUI that no one can see.  Can this
app support that mode, or would it be difficult to scale it down to that
level?

For example, if there is an appointment, then the web app can just check
if anything is expired on page load, instead of having a cron deamon
implimentation.  And for me I don't need notifications at all, the
calender will just be to show others what our schedule is.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Yann Monclair-2
Hi,

The application can run headless (maybe not for setup yet, but that can
be fixed easily). This app is running on seasidehosting, and it seems to
work ok. I still need to add a system to save a snapshot every so often
(otherwise the changes you do to the calendar are not saved if the image
fails).

There are no notifications for now. I will add that later on, probably
email notification and maybe a popup notification if a websession is
active (or on login).

You can upload ics files via the upload interface. I still need to do
some work on the calendar before I start the user handling. The
interface is likely to change ( the upload button won't be there all the
  time for example).

If you want to try it, you can find the code on SqueakSource, project
ICal-SummerTalk. For the dependencies, I made a post on my blog giving
the different packages needed (only 3 so far, seaside, scriptaculous and
ical).

Cheers,

Yann

Jason Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is this application a smalltalk app that just happens to have a web
> interface? (that's what it looks like)  I am working on a site now that
> I planned on using a calender on but it will be a headless image, so I
> don't want anything to pop up in the GUI that no one can see.  Can this
> app support that mode, or would it be difficult to scale it down to that
> level?
>
> For example, if there is an appointment, then the web app can just check
> if anything is expired on page load, instead of having a cron deamon
> implimentation.  And for me I don't need notifications at all, the
> calender will just be to show others what our schedule is.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

stephane ducasse
yann may be you should get inspired by the pier package installer and
use it.

stephane ducasse wrote:
> yann may be you should get inspired by the pier package installer and
> use it.

Good idea Stéphane, I'll look into the pier package installer and try
release something equivalent for the icalendar  :)

Yann

> On 16 sept. 06, at 18:25, Yann Monclair wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The application can run headless (maybe not for setup yet, but that
>> can be fixed easily). This app is running on seasidehosting, and it
>> seems to work ok. I still need to add a system to save a snapshot
>> every so often (otherwise the changes you do to the calendar are not
>> saved if the image fails).
>>
>> There are no notifications for now. I will add that later on, probably
>> email notification and maybe a popup notification if a websession is
>> active (or on login).
>>
>> You can upload ics files via the upload interface. I still need to do
>> some work on the calendar before I start the user handling. The
>> interface is likely to change ( the upload button won't be there all
>> the  time for example).
>>
>> If you want to try it, you can find the code on SqueakSource, project
>> ICal-SummerTalk. For the dependencies, I made a post on my blog giving
>> the different packages needed (only 3 so far, seaside, scriptaculous
>> and ical).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Yann
>>
>> Jason Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Is this application a smalltalk app that just happens to have a web
>>> interface? (that's what it looks like)  I am working on a site now
>>> that I planned on using a calender on but it will be a headless
>>> image, so I don't want anything to pop up in the GUI that no one can
>>> see.  Can this app support that mode, or would it be difficult to
>>> scale it down to that level?
>>> For example, if there is an appointment, then the web app can just
>>> check if anything is expired on page load, instead of having a cron
>>> deamon implimentation.  And for me I don't need notifications at all,
>>> the calender will just be to show others what our schedule is.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jason

Yann Monclair           ---  Email: [hidden email]
2, rue Camille Claudel  ---  Home: +332 98 979323
29900 Concarneau        ---  Cell: +336 63 948092
FRANCE                  ---  WWW: http://yann.monclair.info

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Dmitry Dorofeev
Hi, good to see calendaring for seaside.

But on my Mozilla links on top are not visible, becouse of calendar
table sitting on top of them :-( Some styles issue.

FYI: I am porting SW2Calendar to latest Pier/Magritte and Seaside 2.6a (in Squeak 3.9)
So it will be another way to have iCalendar with Seaside/Squeak. May be we can join
our effort ?

Thanks.

-Dmitry.

Jason Johnson wrote:

> Jason Rogers wrote:
>
>> Nice job!  Some comments:
>>
>> - I like the GreyBox effect.
>> - It would be nice to have a Cancel button on the GreyBox pop-up
>> - I think you should look at your oridinals logic: '13rd' should be
>> '13th'
>> - The column headings make the page seem really busy, perhaps you
>> should show the month you are looking at in one place and then just
>> show the day and day of the week in the column headings
>> - I was confused by the blue text in the column headings and the '+'
>> on Todo List items: I thought they were links that should take me
>> somewhere
>>
>> On 9/8/06, Bakki Kudva <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yann,
>>>
>>> Looks very nice! Congrats on great work. Just a quick question from a
>>> newbie. Can this be embedded in a Seaside WAFrameComponent?
>>>
>>> -bakki

>>> uploaded an
>>> for everyone. I
>>> version

>>> http://yann.monclair.info/summertalk

> Is this application a smalltalk app that just happens to have a web
> interface? (that's what it looks like)  I am working on a site now that
> I planned on using a calender on but it will be a headless image, so I
> don't want anything to pop up in the GUI that no one can see.  Can this
> app support that mode, or would it be difficult to scale it down to that
> level?
>
> For example, if there is an appointment, then the web app can just check
> if anything is expired on page load, instead of having a cron deamon
> implimentation.  And for me I don't need notifications at all, the
> calender will just be to show others what our schedule is.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

С уважением,
  Дмитрий Дорофеев,
  ООО "ЯСП",
  Генеральный директор
  +7 812 560 4676

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Philippe Marschall
2006/9/18, Dmitry Dorofeev <[hidden email]>:
> Hi, good to see calendaring for seaside.
>
> But on my Mozilla links on top are not visible, becouse of calendar
> table sitting on top of them :-( Some styles issue.
>
> FYI: I am porting SW2Calendar to latest Pier/Magritte and Seaside 2.6a (in Squeak 3.9)
> So it will be another way to have iCalendar with Seaside/Squeak. May be we can join
> our effort ?

Wow, calendaring on Squeak, you could write a book about it.

Originally it was done for SmallWiki on VW [1] and later ported to
SmallWiki 2 and Squeak [2] [3].
Then iCalendar [4] part was ripped out and made a sepparate package
[5]. It supports many more iCalendar features, for example recurrence
rules. Also vCard support was added. This version is used in DabbleDB
[6] and an internal application at netstyle.ch [7].
The StellDichEin package brings back iCalendar support to SmallWiki 2
now known as Pier [8] [9]. It builds on ICalMagritte [5] and allows
the creation of events and todos but not calendars.
Last but not least is the SummerTalk project of Yann [10] [11] with
also builds on top of the iCalendar package.

Philippe

[1] http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/cs497rej/Calendar+feature+for+SmallWiki
[2] http://www.squeaksource.com/SW2Calendar.html
[3] http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/advanceddesignlabs/calendar/
[4] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt
[5] http://www.squeaksource.com/ical.html
[6] http://www.dabbledb.com/
[7] http://www.netstyle.ch/
[8] http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons.html
[9] http://spielverderber.seasidehosting.st/Spielwiese/Esug2005
[10] http://icalendar.seasidehosting.st/
[11] http://www.squeaksource.com/iCalSummerTalk.html

> Jason Johnson wrote:
> > Jason Rogers wrote:
> >
> >> Nice job!  Some comments:
> >>
> >> - I like the GreyBox effect.
> >> - It would be nice to have a Cancel button on the GreyBox pop-up
> >> - I think you should look at your oridinals logic: '13rd' should be
> >> '13th'
> >> - The column headings make the page seem really busy, perhaps you
> >> should show the month you are looking at in one place and then just
> >> show the day and day of the week in the column headings
> >> - I was confused by the blue text in the column headings and the '+'
> >> on Todo List items: I thought they were links that should take me
> >> somewhere

> > Hi,
> >
> > Is this application a smalltalk app that just happens to have a web
> > interface? (that's what it looks like)  I am working on a site now that
> > I planned on using a calender on but it will be a headless image, so I
> > don't want anything to pop up in the GUI that no one can see.  Can this
> > app support that mode, or would it be difficult to scale it down to that
> > level?
> >
> > For example, if there is an appointment, then the web app can just check
> > if anything is expired on page load, instead of having a cron deamon
> > implimentation.  And for me I don't need notifications at all, the
> > calender will just be to show others what our schedule is.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason

> С уважением,
>   Дмитрий Дорофеев,
>   ООО "ЯСП",
>   Генеральный директор
>   +7 812 560 4676

RE: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Robin Barendregt

Some time ago I published a package in Cincom's public repository called Recurrences that was based on iCal.
Maybe you can reuse some of that to do some leg work for you.
There is also a RecurrencesTesting package that contains tests for the examples in the iCal RFC.

HTH, Robin

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Jason Johnson-3
Yes, what a surprise, I was about to ask something like this.

I am moving a band website to Pier myself.  I plan to use a calendar
component to store the concert dates (including at least one reoccurring
concert they do).  I don't need the calender to be actually visable.  I
plan, instead, to have 3 different views on different pages on the
site.  The first view will be the front page: it will show the flyer
(stored as an attachment with the concert entry) for the concert that is
next to be done (this means it will automatically flip to the next one
after the concert is over).  Another view just shows a little text about
the next concert.  And the last is the most complicated.  If the user is
not logged into the site it will show a text/list type display of the
next 5 concerts, but if a member of the band logs in they get a full
blow calender so that they can add dates, reoccurring dates, and flyer
attachments for events (so my auto flip over will work without maintenance).

I was planning to just write it all myself based on Ical (the summer
talk stuff seems a bit to specialized).  But if anyone else is working
on this too I would be glad
to collaborate. :)

I haven't decided if I should just add the actual calendar as a
component and then set the "view" components to point to it (set from
the settings menu), or do something with class variables or maybe pool
variables (don't know what those are for yet, I'm a little new. :) ).
Maybe someone has some ideas, or maybe there is stuff out that will get
me closer faster?

Thanks all,
Jason

Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:

> Hi, good to see calendaring for seaside.
>
> But on my Mozilla links on top are not visible, becouse of calendar
> table sitting on top of them :-( Some styles issue.
>
> FYI: I am porting SW2Calendar to latest Pier/Magritte and Seaside 2.6a
> (in Squeak 3.9)
> So it will be another way to have iCalendar with Seaside/Squeak. May
> be we can join
> our effort ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dmitry.

Re: [SummerTalk] Please try my iCalendar

Philippe Marschall
Hi

Have a look at:
http://spielverderber.seasidehosting.st/Spielwiese/Esug2005
It allows you to add events and todos to a pier (but not a calendar)
and dowload (and import) them als iCalendar files.

Philippe

2006/9/18, Jason Johnson <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, what a surprise, I was about to ask something like this.
>
> I am moving a band website to Pier myself.  I plan to use a calendar
> component to store the concert dates (including at least one reoccurring
> concert they do).  I don't need the calender to be actually visable.  I
> plan, instead, to have 3 different views on different pages on the
> site.  The first view will be the front page: it will show the flyer
> (stored as an attachment with the concert entry) for the concert that is
> next to be done (this means it will automatically flip to the next one
> after the concert is over).  Another view just shows a little text about
> the next concert.  And the last is the most complicated.  If the user is
> not logged into the site it will show a text/list type display of the
> next 5 concerts, but if a member of the band logs in they get a full
> blow calender so that they can add dates, reoccurring dates, and flyer
> attachments for events (so my auto flip over will work without maintenance).
>
> I was planning to just write it all myself based on Ical (the summer
> talk stuff seems a bit to specialized).  But if anyone else is working
> on this too I would be glad
> to collaborate. :)
>
> I haven't decided if I should just add the actual calendar as a
> component and then set the "view" components to point to it (set from
> the settings menu), or do something with class variables or maybe pool
> variables (don't know what those are for yet, I'm a little new. :) ).
> Maybe someone has some ideas, or maybe there is stuff out that will get
> me closer faster?
>
> Thanks all,
> Jason
>
> Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:
> > Hi, good to see calendaring for seaside.
> >
> > But on my Mozilla links on top are not visible, becouse of calendar
> > table sitting on top of them :-( Some styles issue.
> >
> > FYI: I am porting SW2Calendar to latest Pier/Magritte and Seaside 2.6a
> > (in Squeak 3.9)
> > So it will be another way to have iCalendar with Seaside/Squeak. May
> > be we can join
> > our effort ?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Dmitry.