SummerTalk and Icalendar

Yann Monclair-2
Hello, I'm Yann Monclair, and will be working on the iCalendar
project for SummerTalk.

When I first started the project, I was actually just looking for
something to keep me busy and use my Smalltalk a little.
I was looking to have some small scripts to run on ical files (ics)
and that's when I started, with a parser.

Since then I've been looking at other aspects of iCalendars that are
not yet available (possible) in the other implementations.
I was thinking of a nice webinterface, but google beat me on that ;)
Another idea I have is collaborative editing. It could then make
iCalendars a more useful tool for planning meetings, and a lot of
stuff requiring mutual agreement on a date.

Other people suggested having other features, that would help the
iCalendar become useful as a time tracking system. For example, you
have a calendar per project and you want to know how much time you
spent on that project in a given time period.

I will look deeper into the squeak ical package. I might reuse some
of it,  my ics parser isn't that great.

I'm thinking of switching to an XML format (the one used my google
calendar and others ). It would then allow a better network
communication with other clients. As of today, there are
no GUI available, but that will have to change to implement the
collaborative aspect. The current GUI available out there (rich
client or web client ) might not support it out of the box. I
try to stay as compatible as possible with the current clients, to
make the project more usable and easier to start with.

I'll post a more structured description on my blog (http://
yann.quist.ca). I'm currently finishing a report for my graduation,
so I should have more time in a few days.

HTH,

Yann

About the project: 'ICal support in Smalltalk'

There is already a an ICal (and VCard) parser and serializer for
squeak available at:
http://www.squeaksource.com/ical.html
This is used in production in at least two places.

So what would be the goal of this project? Integrate the existing ICal
package with lets say Chronos or reinvent the wheel?

Cheers
Philippe

2006/6/20, Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr>:
 > Hi guys,
 > here are some updates about the SummerTalk 2006 program launched
by ESUG
 > (European Smalltalk User Group). The goal of this program is to help
 > students work on open-source Smalltalk projects until december 2006.
 >
 > - 5 projects have been selected by the ESUG Board for funding,
 > - 1 project get funded by an external sponsor,
 > - 3 students have been selected and assigned to a project. We are
 > looking to 3 more students for the other projects. If you are
 > interested, please apply ASAP !
 >
 > All the glory details are available online here :
 > http://www.esug.org/promotionactions/summertalk2006/
 >
 > Have fun,
 > --                                                         oooo
 > Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
 > Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
 > http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
 > Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
 >                                                              ##

Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Gary Fisher-3

>> Yann: "I was thinking of a nice webinterface, but google beat me on that
;)"

>> Philippe: "So what would be the goal of this project? . . . reinvent the
wheel?"

It might be useful to note that the wheel has been reinvented many, many
times, in forms as varied as clock gears, grain mills and jet engine
turbines.  While each varies in its expression and implementation of the
concept of "wheelness," none could be called the perfected form of wheel
which obviates all others -- to the contrary, each has in turn led to
innumerable reinventions of itself, most of which did not eliminate but
rather added to what had gone before.

Google has done many things well, and some very well, but nothing Google has
accomplished can be said to have perfected the art to such an extent no
improvements or adaptations are possible.  The trick is to look past Google,
to pursue a vision not of what Google or any other innovator DID but of what
they might -- or ought to -- or could -- have ASPIRED to.

We don't need stronger oxcart wheels, we need pneumatic tires.  Or perhaps
maglev.

Gary

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
Tested on: 6/20/06 5:59:34 AM

Re: Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Philippe Marschall
I just asked what the goal is. If reinventing is the goal, I have no
problem with that.

Cheers

2006/6/20, Gary Fisher <[hidden email]>:

> >> Yann: "I was thinking of a nice webinterface, but google beat me on that
> ;)"
>
> >> Philippe: "So what would be the goal of this project? . . . reinvent the
> wheel?"
>
> It might be useful to note that the wheel has been reinvented many, many
> times, in forms as varied as clock gears, grain mills and jet engine
> turbines.  While each varies in its expression and implementation of the
> concept of "wheelness," none could be called the perfected form of wheel
> which obviates all others -- to the contrary, each has in turn led to
> innumerable reinventions of itself, most of which did not eliminate but
> rather added to what had gone before.
>
> Google has done many things well, and some very well, but nothing Google has
> accomplished can be said to have perfected the art to such an extent no
> improvements or adaptations are possible.  The trick is to look past Google,
> to pursue a vision not of what Google or any other innovator DID but of what
> they might -- or ought to -- or could -- have ASPIRED to.
>
> We don't need stronger oxcart wheels, we need pneumatic tires.  Or perhaps
> maglev.
>
> Gary
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
> Tested on: 6/20/06 5:59:34 AM
> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2006 ALWIL Software.

Re: Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Gary Fisher-3
I meant no disrespect, Philippe, and I apologize if that's how I sounded.
My comment derived more from the reference to Google than to yours but you
gave me something to hang it from.  <s>

All the best,

Gary

I just asked what the goal is. If reinventing is the goal, I have no
problem with that.

Cheers

2006/6/20, Gary Fisher <[hidden email]>:

> >> Yann: "I was thinking of a nice webinterface, but google beat me on
that
> ;)"
>
> >> Philippe: "So what would be the goal of this project? . . . reinvent
the

> wheel?"
>
> It might be useful to note that the wheel has been reinvented many, many
> times, in forms as varied as clock gears, grain mills and jet engine
> turbines.  While each varies in its expression and implementation of the
> concept of "wheelness," none could be called the perfected form of wheel
> which obviates all others -- to the contrary, each has in turn led to
> innumerable reinventions of itself, most of which did not eliminate but
> rather added to what had gone before.
>
> Google has done many things well, and some very well, but nothing Google
has
> accomplished can be said to have perfected the art to such an extent no
> improvements or adaptations are possible.  The trick is to look past
Google,
> to pursue a vision not of what Google or any other innovator DID but of
what

> they might -- or ought to -- or could -- have ASPIRED to.
>
> We don't need stronger oxcart wheels, we need pneumatic tires.  Or perhaps
> maglev.
>
> Gary
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
> Tested on: 6/20/06 5:59:34 AM
> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2006 ALWIL Software.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
Tested on: 6/20/06 8:31:14 AM

Re: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Daniel Vainsencher-2
Hi Yann, since it sounds like additional ideas for the content of the
project might be useful, I'll allow myself to share a thought:

I think calendars are objects that could be usefully 1. shared (Google
does this!), 2. modified offline (Hmm, but what if...) and 3.merged (ahh
;-) ). Therefore, it might be interesting to wrap them with MC (MC2?).
Of course this is pretty useless if done in isolation, but as part of a
UI for them, it might make for a nice approach to enabling collaborative
calendaring. As a nice benefit, it reuses lots of good work done in MC,
and might exercise that framework in new ways. And MC is nice code to
work with.

Daniel

Yann Monclair wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > - 5 projects have been selected by the ESUG Board for funding,
> > - 1 project get funded by an external sponsor,
> > - 3 students have been selected and assigned to a project. We are
> > looking to 3 more students for the other projects. If you are
> > interested, please apply ASAP !
> >
> > All the glory details are available online here :
> > http://www.esug.org/promotionactions/summertalk2006/
> >
> > Have fun,
> > --                                                         oooo
> > Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
> > Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
> > http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
> > Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
> >                                                              ##

Re: Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi philippe

I think that this is good that we put pressure on Yann :)
I already told him that.
Now it would be good if indeed we could interactively publis, change,
ical.
And indeed it would be nice if this would be using what you did with
david and may be based on pier.
Yann could learn and build on top of what you did....

Yann tell us.

Stef

On 20 juin 06, at 12:33, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> I just asked what the goal is. If reinventing is the goal, I have no
> problem with that.
>
> Cheers

>> me on that
>> ;)"

>> reinvent the
>> wheel?"
>>
>> It might be useful to note that the wheel has been reinvented
>> many, many
>> times, in forms as varied as clock gears, grain mills and jet engine
>> turbines.  While each varies in its expression and implementation
>> of the
>> concept of "wheelness," none could be called the perfected form of
>> wheel
>> which obviates all others -- to the contrary, each has in turn led to
>> innumerable reinventions of itself, most of which did not
>> eliminate but
>> rather added to what had gone before.
>>
>> Google has done many things well, and some very well, but nothing
>> Google has
>> accomplished can be said to have perfected the art to such an
>> extent no
>> improvements or adaptations are possible.  The trick is to look
>> past Google,
>> to pursue a vision not of what Google or any other innovator DID
>> but of what
>> they might -- or ought to -- or could -- have ASPIRED to.
>>
>> We don't need stronger oxcart wheels, we need pneumatic tires.  Or
>> perhaps
>> maglev.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
>> Tested on: 6/20/06 5:59:34 AM
>> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2006 ALWIL Software.

Re: Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Yann Monclair-2
That's fine by me. Part of the SummerTalk is, I believe, to have an
opportunity to learn more about Smalltalk :) and the existing tools
available.

Currently I'm working with VisualWorks. A port to Squeak could be
possible, and fairly easy I think. It would be nice to maybe switch
to the existing ical parser at that moment.
The idea of using Pier, or even MC2 is really interesting.

For now, I'm going to start with writing some tests, and I'll try and
make my mind on a port to Squeak. This also depends on the people who
would want such a tool (if they are squeak users or VW or another
Smalltalk ).

I'll post about that later this week  I think, on my blog, and I'll
let you know.

I just ordered two books on TDD, so I hope to write good tests and
adopt that method of development. They are missed in my code so far :(

Yann

On Jun 20, 2006, at 4:27 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi philippe
>
> I think that this is good that we put pressure on Yann :)
> I already told him that.
> Now it would be good if indeed we could interactively publis,
> change, ical.
> And indeed it would be nice if this would be using what you did
> with david and may be based on pier.
> Yann could learn and build on top of what you did....
>
> Yann tell us.
>
> Stef
>

> On 20 juin 06, at 12:33, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> I just asked what the goal is. If reinventing is the goal, I have no
>> problem with that.
>>
>> Cheers

>>> me on that
>>> ;)"

>>> reinvent the
>>> wheel?"
>>>
>>> It might be useful to note that the wheel has been reinvented
>>> many, many
>>> times, in forms as varied as clock gears, grain mills and jet engine
>>> turbines.  While each varies in its expression and implementation
>>> of the
>>> concept of "wheelness," none could be called the perfected form
>>> of wheel
>>> which obviates all others -- to the contrary, each has in turn
>>> led to
>>> innumerable reinventions of itself, most of which did not
>>> eliminate but
>>> rather added to what had gone before.
>>>
>>> Google has done many things well, and some very well, but nothing
>>> Google has
>>> accomplished can be said to have perfected the art to such an
>>> extent no
>>> improvements or adaptations are possible.  The trick is to look
>>> past Google,
>>> to pursue a vision not of what Google or any other innovator DID
>>> but of what
>>> they might -- or ought to -- or could -- have ASPIRED to.
>>>
>>> We don't need stronger oxcart wheels, we need pneumatic tires.
>>> Or perhaps
>>> maglev.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>>> ---
>>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>> Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
>>> Tested on: 6/20/06 5:59:34 AM
>>> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2006 ALWIL Software.

Re: Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Philippe Marschall
Sure

On 20 juin 06, at 17:05, Yann Monclair wrote:

> That's fine by me. Part of the SummerTalk is, I believe, to have an
> opportunity to learn more about Smalltalk :) and the existing tools
> available.
>
> Currently I'm working with VisualWorks. A port to Squeak could be
> possible, and fairly easy I think. It would be nice to maybe switch
> to the existing ical parser at that moment.
> The idea of using Pier, or even MC2 is really interesting.
>
> For now, I'm going to start with writing some tests, and I'll try
> and make my mind on a port to Squeak. This also depends on the
> people who would want such a tool (if they are squeak users or VW
> or another Smalltalk ).

We moved from VW to Squeak for Smallwiki exactly for this reason. :)
I woudl suggest you to have a look at the calendar used in dabble :)
and that is available on SqueakSource.

I would love to be able to have a kind of ical server for
collaborative editing, and also a way to publish to it from ical

Stef