Support for SCIM on Linux

DavidWilson
Hi

I'm trying to input Tibetan (i.e. Unicode) characters using the SCIM input method (Wylie tibetan aka EWTS) on Ubuntu (10.4).
(N.B. That's not the same as a different keyboard layout!)

SCIM works ok for OpenOffice and even for gedit, but not in Pharo, ie it is installed correctly and working.

I suspect it's because Pharo consumes the keyboard input directly, and doesn't let SCIM do its stuff (essentially aggregating keystrokes before sending the unicode on to application).

It would be nice to hear from a) anyone who's got this to work in Pharo, or b) someone who can confirm what I suspect.

The equivalent works fine on Mac!

David

Re: Support for SCIM on Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck
David, can you try with both Pharo1.0 and Pharo1.1 ?

In Pharo1.1 by default installed Bitmap fonts, which dosen't contains
unicode glyphs. In Pharo1.0 we used TrueType fonts so that you can choose the one
you like, which will correctly diaplays cyrillic glyphs.

Please let us know if that works. And in such case you can use TrueType in 1.1 also if you want.

cheers

mariano

[...]

Re: [Pharo-project] Support for SCIM on Linux

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 21-09-2010 a las 11:50 +0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
> Hi David. I have no idea. I just cc'ed pharo-dev in case someone can
> help you.

What is pharo-dev? Is a new list?

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM, DavidWilson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         I'm trying to input Tibetan (i.e. Unicode) characters using
>         the SCIM input
>         method (Wylie tibetan aka EWTS) on Ubuntu (10.4).
>         (N.B. That's not the same as a different keyboard layout!)
>
>         SCIM works ok for OpenOffice and even for gedit, but not in
>         Pharo, ie it is
>         installed correctly and working.
>
>         I suspect it's because Pharo consumes the keyboard input
>         directly, and
>         doesn't let SCIM do its stuff (essentially aggregating
>         keystrokes before
>         sending the unicode on to application).
>
>         It would be nice to hear from a) anyone who's got this to work
>         in Pharo, or
>         b) someone who can confirm what I suspect.
>
>         The equivalent works fine on Mac!
>
>         David
>         --

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]> wrote:
El mar, 21-09-2010 a las 11:50 +0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
> Hi David. I have no idea. I just cc'ed pharo-dev in case someone can
> help you.

What is pharo-dev? Is a new list?

No, sorry for the noise, I wanted to mean the pharo-project mailing list and not the pharo-users.

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM, DavidWilson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         I'm trying to input Tibetan (i.e. Unicode) characters using
>         the SCIM input
>         method (Wylie tibetan aka EWTS) on Ubuntu (10.4).
>         (N.B. That's not the same as a different keyboard layout!)
>
>         SCIM works ok for OpenOffice and even for gedit, but not in
>         Pharo, ie it is
>         installed correctly and working.
>
>         I suspect it's because Pharo consumes the keyboard input
>         directly, and
>         doesn't let SCIM do its stuff (essentially aggregating
>         keystrokes before
>         sending the unicode on to application).
>
>         It would be nice to hear from a) anyone who's got this to work
>         in Pharo, or
>         b) someone who can confirm what I suspect.
>
>         The equivalent works fine on Mac!
>
>         David
>         --

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Support for SCIM on Linux

DavidWilson
Hi Mario

Thanks for the answers, I'm sorry to take so long to answer, I'm only online very occasionally at the moment.

1. there is no problem displaying the unicode characters, once the appropriate fonts are loaded (I simple use the update font option from the preferences and set the appropriate font in the text morphs). I haven't checked with a 1.0 image, but I don't remember any problem displaying these characters in 1.0, I didn't try entering them!

2. the problem is inputting using SCIM. Alternative keyboards e.g. Bhutan/Dzongkha) work ok, but the input methods supported by SCIM are how most of the world enters Tibetan characters.

3. How do I open a ticket? Where?

Greetings from Kalymnos

David

Re: Support for SCIM on Linux

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/entry

> Greetings from Kalymnos
>
> David

Re: Support for SCIM on Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM, DavidWilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mario

Thanks for the answers, I'm sorry to take so long to answer, I'm only online
very occasionally at the moment.

1. there is no problem displaying the unicode characters, once the
appropriate fonts are loaded (I simple use the update font option from the
preferences and set the appropriate font in the text morphs). I haven't
checked with a 1.0 image, but I don't remember any problem displaying these
characters in 1.0, I didn't try entering them!

2. the problem is inputting using SCIM. Alternative keyboards e.g.
Bhutan/Dzongkha) work ok, but the input methods supported by SCIM are how
most of the world enters Tibetan characters.

ok....

3. How do I open a ticket? Where?

Greetings from Kalymnos

David