[Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

[Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

jannik laval
Hi Pharoers, and Smalltalkers in general,

Have you seen waited to assess the cycles in your software? Now you can :)

We request some of you to perform an experiment using DSM to see your software package structure and to fix cycles between packages. Our tool shows dependencies between packages and highlight some bad dependencies generating structure cycles. It also helps to understand dependencies.

Your goal is to fill a survey using our tool.
I prepared a mini-tutorial about DSM and eDSM. It can help you to understand the visualization tool.

To ease the use of our tool, I loaded it in a PharoCore1.2. And there are two archives available:
- the first contains an image with our tool with a model of Pharo loaded in it, so you can play with our tool on pharo itself. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithPharo.zip. Pay attention, the image is slow.
- the second contains the same thing without the model of Pharo. Here, you have to load your code, then populate a moose model and use the tool. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithoutPharo.zip
The two archives contain the tutorial and the survey. If you are a pharo integrator, we suggest you to take the one with Pharo model loaded, else the other.

To use our tool, load your tool in Pharo. Then do "MoosePanel open", and import your software in Moose by "import from Smalltalk image". When it is imported, select your project in the list on the left of MoosePanel, and select "all model packages" on the list on center.

Then, you have two choices:
- you can scan all your project: right click on "all model packages" and do DSM.
- or select "all model packages" then select some packages in the next list and right click, do DSM.

After that, you can perform the survey (with reading of the tutorial). We need your answers for the end of August. So, you have two months to do it.

If you have any question, just let me know.

Best regards,
Jannik.

---
Jannik Laval
PhD Student - Rmod Team - INRIA
Certified Project Management Associate (IPMA)
http://www.jannik-laval.eu
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr
---

Re: [smalltalk-research] [Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

jannik laval
Hi Lukas,

The question should be: How many packages are contained in the software you want to analyze ?
I change it and commit a new version.

Thank you Lukas.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:22 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi Jannik,
>
> I can't parse:
>
>   "How much do you think the number of packages of the software?"
>
> How much what? What is the question?
>
> Lukas
>
> On 19 July 2010 08:36, Laval Jannik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Pharoers, and Smalltalkers in general,
>>
>> Have you seen waited to assess the cycles in your software? Now you can :)
>>
>> We request some of you to perform an experiment using DSM to see your software package structure and to fix cycles between packages. Our tool shows dependencies between packages and highlight some bad dependencies generating structure cycles. It also helps to understand dependencies.
>>
>> Your goal is to fill a survey using our tool.
>> I prepared a mini-tutorial about DSM and eDSM. It can help you to understand the visualization tool.
>>
>> To ease the use of our tool, I loaded it in a PharoCore1.2. And there are two archives available:
>> - the first contains an image with our tool with a model of Pharo loaded in it, so you can play with our tool on pharo itself. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithPharo.zip. Pay attention, the image is slow.
>> - the second contains the same thing without the model of Pharo. Here, you have to load your code, then populate a moose model and use the tool. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithoutPharo.zip
>> The two archives contain the tutorial and the survey. If you are a pharo integrator, we suggest you to take the one with Pharo model loaded, else the other.
>>
>> To use our tool, load your tool in Pharo. Then do "MoosePanel open", and import your software in Moose by "import from Smalltalk image". When it is imported, select your project in the list on the left of MoosePanel, and select "all model packages" on the list on center.
>>
>> Then, you have two choices:
>> - you can scan all your project: right click on "all model packages" and do DSM.
>> - or select "all model packages" then select some packages in the next list and right click, do DSM.
>>
>> After that, you can perform the survey (with reading of the tutorial). We need your answers for the end of August. So, you have two months to do it.
>>
>> If you have any question, just let me know.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jannik.
>>
>> ---
>> Jannik Laval
>> PhD Student - Rmod Team - INRIA
>> Certified Project Management Associate (IPMA)
>> http://www.jannik-laval.eu
>> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr
>> ---
>>

> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

---
Jannik Laval

Re: [Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

jannik laval
Hi all,

Just a small reminder for people who wants to participate.
Thank you for your collaboration.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Jul 19, 2010, at 08:36 , Laval Jannik wrote:

> Hi Pharoers, and Smalltalkers in general,
>
> Have you seen waited to assess the cycles in your software? Now you can :)
>
> We request some of you to perform an experiment using DSM to see your software package structure and to fix cycles between packages. Our tool shows dependencies between packages and highlight some bad dependencies generating structure cycles. It also helps to understand dependencies.
>
> Your goal is to fill a survey using our tool.
> I prepared a mini-tutorial about DSM and eDSM. It can help you to understand the visualization tool.
>
> To ease the use of our tool, I loaded it in a PharoCore1.2. And there are two archives available:
> - the first contains an image with our tool with a model of Pharo loaded in it, so you can play with our tool on pharo itself. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithPharo.zip. Pay attention, the image is slow.
> - the second contains the same thing without the model of Pharo. Here, you have to load your code, then populate a moose model and use the tool. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithoutPharo.zip
> The two archives contain the tutorial and the survey. If you are a pharo integrator, we suggest you to take the one with Pharo model loaded, else the other.
>
> To use our tool, load your tool in Pharo. Then do "MoosePanel open", and import your software in Moose by "import from Smalltalk image". When it is imported, select your project in the list on the left of MoosePanel, and select "all model packages" on the list on center.
>
> Then, you have two choices:
> - you can scan all your project: right click on "all model packages" and do DSM.
> - or select "all model packages" then select some packages in the next list and right click, do DSM.
>
> After that, you can perform the survey (with reading of the tutorial). We need your answers for the end of August. So, you have two months to do it.
>
> If you have any question, just let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Jannik.
>
> ---
> Jannik Laval
> PhD Student - Rmod Team - INRIA
> Certified Project Management Associate (IPMA)
> http://www.jannik-laval.eu
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr
> ---

Re: [Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

jannik laval
Hi all,

A (second) reminder for people who wants to participate.
We need help from the community.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Jul 19, 2010, at 08:36 , Laval Jannik wrote:

> Hi Pharoers, and Smalltalkers in general,
>
> Have you seen waited to assess the cycles in your software? Now you can :)
>
> We request some of you to perform an experiment using DSM to see your software package structure and to fix cycles between packages. Our tool shows dependencies between packages and highlight some bad dependencies generating structure cycles. It also helps to understand dependencies.
>
> Your goal is to fill a survey using our tool.
> I prepared a mini-tutorial about DSM and eDSM. It can help you to understand the visualization tool.
>
> To ease the use of our tool, I loaded it in a PharoCore1.2. And there are two archives available:
> - the first contains an image with our tool with a model of Pharo loaded in it, so you can play with our tool on pharo itself. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithPharo.zip. Pay attention, the image is slow.
> - the second contains the same thing without the model of Pharo. Here, you have to load your code, then populate a moose model and use the tool. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithoutPharo.zip
> The two archives contain the tutorial and the survey. If you are a pharo integrator, we suggest you to take the one with Pharo model loaded, else the other.
>
> To use our tool, load your tool in Pharo. Then do "MoosePanel open", and import your software in Moose by "import from Smalltalk image". When it is imported, select your project in the list on the left of MoosePanel, and select "all model packages" on the list on center.
>
> Then, you have two choices:
> - you can scan all your project: right click on "all model packages" and do DSM.
> - or select "all model packages" then select some packages in the next list and right click, do DSM.
>
> After that, you can perform the survey (with reading of the tutorial). We need your answers for the end of August. So, you have two months to do it.
>
> If you have any question, just let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Jannik.
>
> ---
> Jannik Laval
> PhD Student - Rmod Team - INRIA
> Certified Project Management Associate (IPMA)
> http://www.jannik-laval.eu
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr
> ---

---
Jannik Laval

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: [Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

Tudor Girba
I apologize for not doing it earlier. I will do it until Tuesday.

Cheers,
Doru

On 13 Aug 2010, at 16:33, Laval Jannik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A (second) reminder for people who wants to participate.
> We need help from the community.
>
> Cheers,
> Jannik
>
> On Jul 19, 2010, at 08:36 , Laval Jannik wrote:
>
>> Hi Pharoers, and Smalltalkers in general,
>>
>> Have you seen waited to assess the cycles in your software? Now you
>> can :)
>>
>> We request some of you to perform an experiment using DSM to see
>> your software package structure and to fix cycles between packages.
>> Our tool shows dependencies between packages and highlight some bad
>> dependencies generating structure cycles. It also helps to
>> understand dependencies.
>>
>> Your goal is to fill a survey using our tool.
>> I prepared a mini-tutorial about DSM and eDSM. It can help you to
>> understand the visualization tool.
>>
>> To ease the use of our tool, I loaded it in a PharoCore1.2. And
>> there are two archives available:
>> - the first contains an image with our tool with a model of Pharo
>> loaded in it, so you can play with our tool on pharo itself. It can
>> be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/
>> dsmWithPharo.zip. Pay attention, the image is slow.
>> - the second contains the same thing without the model of Pharo.
>> Here, you have to load your code, then populate a moose model and
>> use the tool. It can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7739334/dsmWithoutPharo.zip
>> The two archives contain the tutorial and the survey. If you are a
>> pharo integrator, we suggest you to take the one with Pharo model
>> loaded, else the other.
>>
>> To use our tool, load your tool in Pharo. Then do "MoosePanel
>> open", and import your software in Moose by "import from Smalltalk
>> image". When it is imported, select your project in the list on the
>> left of MoosePanel, and select "all model packages" on the list on
>> center.
>>
>> Then, you have two choices:
>> - you can scan all your project: right click on "all model
>> packages" and do DSM.
>> - or select "all model packages" then select some packages in the
>> next list and right click, do DSM.
>>
>> After that, you can perform the survey (with reading of the
>> tutorial). We need your answers for the end of August. So, you have
>> two months to do it.
>>
>> If you have any question, just let me know.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jannik.
>>
>> ---
>> Jannik Laval
>> PhD Student - Rmod Team - INRIA
>> Certified Project Management Associate (IPMA)
>> http://www.jannik-laval.eu
>> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr
>> ---
>>

> ---
> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

[Survey] Assess the cycles in your software

Laval Jannik-2

A new reminder for our study.
We need your help to finish the study.

Thank you to all participants.

Cheers,

> [...]

>>> Then, you have two choices:
>>> - you can scan all your project: right click on "all model packages" and do DSM.
>>> - or select "all model packages" then select some packages in the next list and right click, do DSM.
>>>
>>> After that, you can perform the survey (with reading of the tutorial). We need your answers for the end of August. So, you have two months to do it.
>>>
>>> If you have any question, just let me know.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Jannik.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval
>>> PhD Student - Rmod Team - INRIA
>>> Certified Project Management Associate (IPMA)

---
Jannik Laval