Swazoo 1.0 published!

Janko Mivšek
Dear Swazooers,

After 5 years since birth at first Camp Smalltalk in San Diego, Swazoo
web server finally reached v1.0 !

I just published it on Cincom public repository. This version will also
be in forthcoming VW7.4 distribution. Preparation for it was also a main
reason for hurry.

Even that I didn't manage to merge with other contributions due to lack
of time, I hope this version can be (and already is) a base for porting
to other dialects, especially to Dolphin by Sean Malloy and hopefully
soon to Squeak too.

Best regards
Janko Mivsek

Re: Swazoo 1.0 published!

Janko Mivšek
Hi Esteban,

Change log is actually the same as for 0.9.101, that is:

0.9.101
--- On: 09/22/2005 10:40:23.000
HTTPRequest parseURI: consider possible achor name in url

0.9.100
--- On: 05/24/2005 12:52:19.000
HTTPRequest isFromWindows, Linux, MSIE, Netscape?
patch: HTTPRequest parseURI: url decodeHTTP to get rid of %20; for
spaces etc.

0.9.99
--- On: 04/16/2005 9:24:58.000
-HTTPResponse codeText, to return status code description

0.9.98
--- On: 03/22/2005 13:06:28.000
- HTTPException introduced, to immediatelly returns attached HTTP
response to client. That way it is easier to respond with different
status codes (like 201 Created).
-additional http methods supported: OPTIONS, DELETE, TRACE
-HTTPPut is now usable
-contentLength header field is set always, even if there is no entity
-parsing od entity body put up to HTTPResponse from HTTPPost

0.9.97
--- On: 02/28/2005 10:33:38.000
-Digest authentication almost done
-HTTPConnecton lastResponse instvar added, to match with next request
for Digest authentication
-HTTPMEssage parent instvar added which points to HTTPConnection
MD5Digest class, it is dialect specific!

Best regards
Janko

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> Janko,
> 2005/11/18, Janko Miv�ek <[hidden email]>:
>
>>Dear Swazooers,
>>After 5 years since birth at first Camp Smalltalk in San Diego, Swazoo
>>web server finally reached v1.0 !
>>
>>I just published it on Cincom public repository. This version will also
>>be in forthcoming VW7.4 distribution. Preparation for it was also a main
>>reason for hurry.
>

> Congratulations,
>
> There exists a change log of what had changed since the last version?
>

> --
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Swazoo 1.0 published!

Bruce Badger-3
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 15:07 +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> After 5 years since birth at first Camp Smalltalk in San Diego, Swazoo
> web server finally reached v1.0 !

Wow, Janko, this is sudden.

Only a few weeks ago you started the process of merging all the work
that we did for OpenSkills into your main branch.

How did that go?  The only change I see from 0.9.101 and 1.0 is that you
changed the version number of everything.  Am I missing something here?

> I just published it on Cincom public repository. This version will also
> be in forthcoming VW7.4 distribution. Preparation for it was also a main
> reason for hurry.

Preparation?  The only thing you did was change the version number!

I have to tell you, Janko, this feels like a real slap in the face.  We
took Swazoo in Sept 2003 , always asked if it would be OK to do things
before we did them and always published the changes back to the public
Store.  And we have done lots of work - just have a look in the public
Store at the published versions of the Swazoo bundle over the last 2
years.

By announcing 1.0 in this way, you seem to be saying that all our work
is to excluded from the main branch of Swazoo.  Our work is a fork - we
may as well rename it - is that right?

One of the key reasons we chose Swazoo was to make our changes available
so that others could build on them and so we in turn could benefit from
the improvements - and we would not be left maintaining our own HTTP
server.  We hoped that others would view our efforts in exactly that
light - but it seems you have not.

> Even that I didn't manage to merge with other contributions due to lack
> of time, I hope this version can be (and already is) a base for porting
> to other dialects, especially to Dolphin by Sean Malloy and hopefully
> soon to Squeak too.

One of the first things we did with Swazoo was to make it portable.  As
you know, we already run Swazoo in VW and GemStone.  We are looking at
Squeak and GNU Smalltalk ports also.

If the way we had addressed portability was not OK from your POV, why
not point that out, like TWO YEARS ago?

I should be happy to see Swazoo 1.0 be available.  Instead, I feel
dismayed, rejected and frustrated.

Yours,
        Bruce Badger

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: Swazoo 1.0 published!

Janko Mivšek
Bruce,

I admit, I was afraid of such reaction from you, which is actually
justified. But please understand a pressure I had from other facts:

- there is one week or so to release of VW7.4,
- I'm in a big time pressure from my commercial projects,
- Michel Bany already prepared Seaside against 0.9.101,
- Sean Malloy already did port to Dolphin based on above version.

Therefore any bigger change was absolutely too risky to do now, because
there is no more time to go through testing circle. Therefore I decided
to make that step. Yes, I didn't ask you guys for advice, for which I
apologize, but I think above reasons called for such my hurry.

More answers are below:

Bruce Badger wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 15:07 +0100, Janko Miv�ek wrote:
>
>>After 5 years since birth at first Camp Smalltalk in San Diego, Swazoo
>>web server finally reached v1.0 !
>

> Wow, Janko, this is sudden.
>
> Only a few weeks ago you started the process of merging all the work
> that we did for OpenSkills into your main branch.
>
> How did that go?  The only change I see from 0.9.101 and 1.0 is that you
> changed the version number of everything.  Am I missing something here?

That's corrrect, see above reasons

>>I just published it on Cincom public repository. This version will also
>>be in forthcoming VW7.4 distribution. Preparation for it was also a main
>>reason for hurry.
>

> Preparation?  The only thing you did was change the version number!

It is actually more than that. I spend about three hours to prepare
parcels, test it, check all stuff etc.

> I have to tell you, Janko, this feels like a real slap in the face.  We
> took Swazoo in Sept 2003 , always asked if it would be OK to do things
> before we did them and always published the changes back to the public
> Store.  And we have done lots of work - just have a look in the public
> Store at the published versions of the Swazoo bundle over the last 2
> years.
>
> By announcing 1.0 in this way, you seem to be saying that all our work
> is to excluded from the main branch of Swazoo.  Our work is a fork - we
> may as well rename it - is that right?

Bruce, your work is definitively not excluded! You know that I merged
quite some of your contributions already! As far as I know what I didn't
manage to merge is your latest work on request logging and exclusinon of
servers instvar from singleton.

> One of the key reasons we chose Swazoo was to make our changes available
> so that others could build on them and so we in turn could benefit from
> the improvements - and we would not be left maintaining our own HTTP
> server.  We hoped that others would view our efforts in exactly that
> light - but it seems you have not.

Same with me! I'm using Swazoo on all my web servers now. Also Swazoo is
now base for Seaside, also ported to Dolphin, so maintaining a main
branch is starting to be more and more difficult! A reason to go to 1.0
was also that this version is proven stable and therefore a good base
for porting. Now we can backtrack experiences from porting efforts and
put it into a new version of Swazoo.

>>Even that I didn't manage to merge with other contributions due to lack
>>of time, I hope this version can be (and already is) a base for porting
>>to other dialects, especially to Dolphin by Sean Malloy and hopefully
>>soon to Squeak too.
>

> One of the first things we did with Swazoo was to make it portable.  As
> you know, we already run Swazoo in VW and GemStone.  We are looking at
> Squeak and GNU Smalltalk ports also.
>
> If the way we had addressed portability was not OK from your POV, why
> not point that out, like TWO YEARS ago?

Portability is definitively my priority too! Why do you think so? And
Both Michel and Sean have now porting experiences besides you. OK, I
admit that I looked at your portability layer only briefly, seing a lot
of non-swazoo code too and decided that it would be too much time needed
to merge it. We all need to talk about that a bit more!

> I should be happy to see Swazoo 1.0 be available.  Instead, I feel
> dismayed, rejected and frustrated.

Bruce, please beleive me that this definitively wasn't my intention, not
a remote one! What I can do now is to try move forward and merge your
and other's contributions as soon as possible. I can promise more effort
for that!

Best regards
Janko