Swazoo 2.1 Testers

Rob Rothwell
Just wondering if anyone out there has the time and ability to test Swazoo 2.1 in a GLASS appliance?

I am wanting to use Aida with GemStone but can't seem to get Swazoo to work in an appliance (and I only have Windows machines at the hospital I work at!).  I have tried it two ways, both with the same results:

1.  Start with an independent Linux VMWare appliance and follow the instructions to load the GemStone/S Web edition (which work great, by the way).
2.  Just start with the published GLASS appliance and turn off Apache.

In both cases, I simply unload Hyper and Swazoo from GemStone using the GemTools Monticello browser, then load the latest Swazoo 2.1 from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2  (Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9.mcz).

For simple testing purposes, I am working right in the appliance. In a GemTools workspace, I do SwazooServer demoStart.  This "locks up," because now Swazoo is running on GemStone, but not on Squeak, but an Alt/Ctrl/Cmd-. lets me use Squeak again.

If I inspect the site with (Site named: 'swazoodemo') inspect, I see that it is not serving.

if I start the site with (Site named: 'swazoodemo') start, it starts up.

Then, going to http://localhost:8888 in a browser IN THE APPLIANCE, the browser never even responds with an error--it just keeps waiting.

Using netstat from a terminal in the appliance shows that a connection is never established, etc...

Anyway, I am not very good at Linux or networking, and was wondering if anyone could see if this works on their appliance so I would know if it is me and my poor Linux abilities, or if it is a general VMWare thing that needs figured out to make it work in an appliance since Janko has been able to get it to work on real hardware.

Again, just wondering if anyone has the time to try this out...

Rob

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Swazoo 2.1 Testers

Janko Mivšek
Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Anyway, I am not very good at Linux or networking, and was wondering if
> anyone could see if this works on their appliance so I would know if it
> is me and my poor Linux abilities, or if it is a general VMWare thing
> that needs figured out to make it work in an appliance since Janko has
> been able to get it to work on real hardware.

Yes, and I have just an opposite problem: I can't test on GLASS
appliance, because my CPU is not capable running 64bit appliances, but I
can run natively in my 64bit Linux where I don't have problems like Rob
ones.

Therefore I also ask for someone to help Rob finding, what is wrong with
Swazoo 2.1 running on appliance.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Swazoo 2.1 Testers

Janko Mivšek
Rob,

I would also start debugging. Set breakpoint to:

        HTTPConnection getAndDispatchMessages

...to see if connection is open on Swazoo at all. Then step through to
see if Swazoo responds correctly.

If above breakpoit won't trigger, set another:

        HTTPServer acceptConnection (on self addConnection: )

JAnko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone out there has the time and ability to test
> Swazoo 2.1 in a GLASS appliance?
>
> I am wanting to use Aida with GemStone but can't seem to get Swazoo to
> work in an appliance (and I only have Windows machines at the hospital I
> work at!).  I have tried it two ways, both with the same results:
>
> 1.  Start with an independent Linux VMWare appliance and follow the
> instructions to load the GemStone/S Web edition (which work great, by
> the way).
> 2.  Just start with the published GLASS appliance and turn off Apache.
>
> In both cases, I simply unload Hyper and Swazoo from GemStone using the
> GemTools Monticello browser, then load the latest Swazoo 2.1 from
> http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2  (Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9.mcz).
>
> For simple testing purposes, I am working right in the appliance. In a
> GemTools workspace, I do SwazooServer demoStart.  This "locks up,"
> because now Swazoo is running on GemStone, but not on Squeak, but an
> Alt/Ctrl/Cmd-. lets me use Squeak again.
>
> If I inspect the site with (Site named: 'swazoodemo') inspect, I see
> that it is not serving.
>
> if I start the site with (Site named: 'swazoodemo') start, it starts up.
>
> Then, going to http://localhost:8888 in a browser IN THE APPLIANCE, the
> browser never even responds with an error--it just keeps waiting.
>
> Using netstat from a terminal in the appliance shows that a connection
> is never established, etc...
>
> Anyway, I am not very good at Linux or networking, and was wondering if
> anyone could see if this works on their appliance so I would know if it
> is me and my poor Linux abilities, or if it is a general VMWare thing
> that needs figured out to make it work in an appliance since Janko has
> been able to get it to work on real hardware.
>
> Again, just wondering if anyone has the time to try this out...
>
> Rob

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Swazoo 2.1 Testers

Rob Rothwell
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:21 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you both!  I guess I just needed a fresh perspective, which is what I was looking for.  You are right in not "interrupting" Swazoo while it waits, which gives me a place to start.  As soon as you interrupt it, it never comes back, even if you "start" it again.  The only way to restart the site seems to be to remove it and then start it again.  Not ideal for "live" debugging of your site, I admit, but...a place to start!

For the curious, you can load the latest Aida 5.6 from http://gemstone.seaside.com/ss/Aida.  It will at least get you to the log in screen, but errors in GemStone once you try to send the default username and password of admin/password.

Thanks again for showing me the errors of my ways!

Rob

Rob,

If you still have trouble getting it working, let me know. CoPilot.com has free weekend sessions and I could work with you to see if anything obvious jumps out at me.

James

On Jun 29, 2008, at 12:15 PM, James Foster wrote:

Hwee-Boon made it sound so easy that I decided to give it a try. At the risk of being redundant, I loaded Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9.mcz from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2 without unloading Hyper and Swazoo. Ran SwazooServer demoStart and I can see "Hello World!" at port 8888. It took about me two minutes.

Maybe Rob isn't really having problems but is just trying to evangelize Swazoo.  ;-)

No, seriously Rob, I believe you are having problems and want to see you get it working. I reread your notes and the only difference is I was using GemTools outside the appliance and I didn't interrupt the Squeak image after it was going. I just let it lock up till I was done with the test.

James

On Jun 29, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Hwee-Boon Yar wrote:

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wondering if anyone out there has the time and ability to test Swazoo
2.1 in a GLASS appliance?

I did a quick test with a fresh appliance image by loading