Swazoo, a history of contributions

1 message Options

Swazoo, a history of contributions

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Due to the all this long licensing saga I think you'll be interested on
a brief history of Swazoo and contributions. This can put a bit more
light on situation, IMO.

1. Swazoo was born on first Camp Smalltalk in 2000 in San Diego, see
http://www.swazoo.org/history.html for a feeling of those events and
what was our goal. See specially a "manifesto". There you'll also see
names of original authors.

2. It was a merge of Ken Treis's Hydrogen web server and Aida/Web's web
server, with additional Resource framework influenced a lot with ideas
from Apache, and a support for virtual websites. That's actually what is
Swazoo nowadays still.

3. 2000: First port to Dolphin was done by Steve Waring.

4. In April 2002 it was first published on Cincom Public Repository
(Public Store), from when an exact history of contributions and
contributors can be tracked.

5. Also an original Swazoo from Camp Smalltalk was published in Public
Store (cs0.9, published 21.mar02)

6. mar02 SSL support for Swazoo released

7. sep03 Bruce Badger starts developing using Swazoo making his own fork
for his OpenSkills project (0.9.76-bb01).

8. mar05 first code from Bruce in main branch: HTTPPostDataArray (0.9.96)

9. nov05 Swazoo 1.0 released

10. feb06 a dev branch opened to merge with Bruce branch and on top of
Sport portability layer

11. may06 Bruce forked Swazoo into Hyper

12. aug07 Swazoo 2.0 released, with Bruce branch merged (before his
Hyper fork), with a lot of other improvements, specialy speed, streaming
etc. This one is also ported to Squeak.

13. feb08 Swazoo 2.1 released

I hope this will shed the light to the developments of Swazoo and even
that I probably missed some events, it can be a good start for anyone
looking deeper on the current license issue.

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek