Swazoo as reverse proxy?

Janko Mivšek
Hello Web Smalltalkers,

I'm thinking for a while to add a reverse proxy support to Swazoo so
that we won't need Apache anymore, at least for all but the very large
websites. And such "all but" sites are probably 99%, and that means that
Swazoo is able to serve those 99% of our sites, but you could safely
switch to Apache later when needed.

Another advantage is that you are running everything in Smalltalk and
have therefore a control down to the last bit sent to the TCP socket.
Not to mention that you don't need to learn some other setup like
Apache, which is not the easiest thing to learn.

Reverse proxying will also allow load balancing of many images behind
the Swazoo, or run many different sites, each on its own image, etc.

So, what do you think? Is it a good idea, do you see any obstacles?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Maintainer of Swazoo

Re: Swazoo as reverse proxy?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:20:01 +0100
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reverse proxying will also allow load balancing of many images behind
> the Swazoo, or run many different sites, each on its own image, etc.

I know that we're on the AIDA list right now, but reverse proxying
for e.g. Seaside would require "sticky sessions", i.e. requests for
the same sessions need to be forwarded to the same host.

Hm. I think it's probably the same with AIDA, unless you have other
means of exchanging state between independent images.

> So, what do you think? Is it a good idea, do you see any obstacles?

Out of curiosity, how would you run a Swazoo-based reverse proxy
on a multi-core machine? As a "proxy-only" image assigned to a single
core? And then a few application images for each other core?

s.

Re: Swazoo as reverse proxy?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hello Web Smalltalkers,
>
> I'm thinking for a while to add a reverse proxy support to Swazoo so
> that we won't need Apache anymore, at least for all but the very large
> websites. And such "all but" sites are probably 99%, and that means that
> Swazoo is able to serve those 99% of our sites, but you could safely
> switch to Apache later when needed.
>
> Another advantage is that you are running everything in Smalltalk and
> have therefore a control down to the last bit sent to the TCP socket.
> Not to mention that you don't need to learn some other setup like
> Apache, which is not the easiest thing to learn.
>
> Reverse proxying will also allow load balancing of many images behind
> the Swazoo, or run many different sites, each on its own image, etc.
>
> So, what do you think? Is it a good idea, do you see any obstacles?

Hello Janko,

Personally, I think it is a great idea.

I believe that Swazoo/AIDA/Web/Scribo and the developing platform coming
from here providing the ability to have an all Smalltalk Web development
and deployment stack is a tremendous thing.

You look at some stacks out there, Rails, Django, etc. you have so many
different tools to learn. And if your goal is to optimize your stack,
even more tools. Squid, Varnish, Memcache, ... on and on it goes.

With Smalltalk we have the opportunity to provide a nicely performant,
simple and well capable web stack. All in one language. Often, all in
one image. Very nice.

From my simple experience, I think that this stack can reasonable out
perform most of the others out of the box experiences. We may or may not
equal or exceed their optimized experience, but we don't have to go
through the grief to get there. Rails, Django, Plone, etc. are not high
performing without a lot of tweaking. So they tweak, and tweak, and tweak.

To me this is enabling technology. Technology that enables not just the
technology experts, but the idea guys/gals.

If I can reasonably stay all Smalltalk and just throw more boxes on the
rack in order to scale, then I will be very happy. If I have to add
another tool to my stack, then the closer to its out of box use that I
can stay the better. I don't want to have to be an Apache expert or hire
one.

Boxes are getting faster. Smalltalk's performance can be improved. I
know much effort is going on in Squeak for such. The simpler we can keep
things, the faster and more productive we can become. We can then
accomplish faster and easier what others require armies of programmers
for. :)

Don't worry about the naysayers. For those who have a different vision
and want to use all of the other tools. May God richly bless them and
make them fruitful on their journey. But don't let it sway you from a
vision of a high quality all Smalltalk stack.

The process for fixing bugs, security issues, etc. is so much better in
Smalltalk. Lets stay Smalltalk. :)

Smalltalk/Swazoo/AIDA/Web/Scribo enabling technology, enabling ideas. :)

Lets build it, and they will come. Time is on our side. Smalltalk has
seen many languages, platforms and tools come and go. It has watched the
next great thing, come and go.

Uh oh! Better stop. I'm preaching to the choir. :)

Jimmie

Re: [Seaside] Swazoo as reverse proxy?

Janko Mivšek
Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> So, what do you think? Is it a good idea, do you see any obstacles?

> In my opinion Smalltalk is not competitive when it comes to
> reading/writing bytes from/to pipes, sockets and files. There are
> other systems that can handle that much more efficiently.

Swazoo is not there to compete with Apache, but to help our web
frameworks to easier compete with other frameworks. As we are proud on
Smalltalk as a simple dev.environment yet able to cope with most complex
problems, let be proud for our web stuff too, and here the Swazoo's role
is to preserve that simplicity. Namely, simplicity is one of biggest
reasons why we are competitive to others.

But let me repeat, not for everything, because after Swazoo stops to be
performant enough, you can always switch to Apache. So, you start simple
with Swazoo and have an open path to the most demanding web serving with
Apache or other web servers.

Apache is more performant, no doubt, and will always be, but that's not
the point, the point is that for most of our web server needs Swazoo is
just good enough, but much simpler for Smalltalkers to use than Apache.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Avi Bryant wrote:

> Does Swazoo support SSL connections?  If not, I would say it's not
> worth it, since you'll need some external service to provide
> HTTPS->HTTP proxying.

Swazoo 1 on VW supported it while Swazoo 2 not yet. But I would say SSL
is a special case, one of which then justifies use of Apache from the start.

Best regards
Janko