Swazoo for D6?

Christopher J. Demers
I see that Swazoo was not included in recent D6 distributions.  How can I
obtain a copy of the package?  I see a D5 package here
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/download.html . Should I
just use that, or is there a newer package that has been updated for D6?

Chris

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Sean Malloy-11
"Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
>I see that Swazoo was not included in recent D6 distributions.  How can I
>obtain a copy of the package?  I see a D5 package here
>http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/download.html . Should I
>just use that, or is there a newer package that has been updated for D6?
>
> Chris

I have a port of 0.9.101, which is the latest from VisualWorks Public Store.

Want that?

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Christopher J. Demers
"Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> "Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote in
> message news:[hidden email]...
>>I see that Swazoo was not included in recent D6 distributions.  How can I
>>obtain a copy of the package?  I see a D5 package here
>>http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/download.html . Should I
>>just use that, or is there a newer package that has been updated for D6?
>>
>> Chris
>
> I have a port of 0.9.101, which is the latest from VisualWorks Public
> Store.
>
> Want that?

That would be great.  If you want you could post a link here, or send an
e-mail to me with an attachment or link.  If you drop the "news" from the
end of the user name in my e-mail address it will probably reduce the chance
of my spam filter delaying it.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Chris,

I'm doing the Seaside Port for Dolphin 6 using Swazoo.
I've installed the same version included in the DolphinHarbor website,
but with the resources truncated (it is with no views).

Besides that is "headless" i didn't found any problem.
The only problem by now is with the debugging of seaside :-o

Best regards.

Christopher J. Demers escribió:

> "Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>>"Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote in
>>message news:[hidden email]...
>>
>>>I see that Swazoo was not included in recent D6 distributions.  How can I
>>>obtain a copy of the package?  I see a D5 package here
>>>http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/download.html . Should I
>>>just use that, or is there a newer package that has been updated for D6?

>>I have a port of 0.9.101, which is the latest from VisualWorks Public
>>Store.
>>
>>Want that?
>

> That would be great.  If you want you could post a link here, or send an
> e-mail to me with an attachment or link.  If you drop the "news" from the
> end of the user name in my e-mail address it will probably reduce the chance
> of my spam filter delaying it.

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Chris,

I'm doing the Seaside Port for Dolphin 6 using Swazoo.
I've installed the same version included in the DolphinHarbor website,
but with the resources truncated (it is with no views).

Besides that is "headless" i didn't found any problem.
The only problem by now is with the debugging of seaside :-o

Best regards.

Christopher J. Demers escribió:

> "Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>>"Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote in
>>message news:[hidden email]...
>>
>>>I see that Swazoo was not included in recent D6 distributions.  How can I
>>>obtain a copy of the package?  I see a D5 package here
>>>http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/download.html . Should I
>>>just use that, or is there a newer package that has been updated for D6?

>>I have a port of 0.9.101, which is the latest from VisualWorks Public
>>Store.
>>
>>Want that?
>

> That would be great.  If you want you could post a link here, or send an
> e-mail to me with an attachment or link.  If you drop the "news" from the
> end of the user name in my e-mail address it will probably reduce the chance
> of my spam filter delaying it.

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Sean Malloy-11
> That would be great.  If you want you could post a link here, or send an
> e-mail to me with an attachment or link.  If you drop the "news" from the
> end of the user name in my e-mail address it will probably reduce the
> chance of my spam filter delaying it.

This is incomplete: It works, but I haven't tested it extensively, nor used
it in production. Hah! The older port Steve W did is more featureful, in
that it contains a GUI to start and stop a server etc, and is probably more
thoroughly tested.

http://www.arcturus.com.au/dolphin/Swazoo-Dolphin-0.9.101.zip

This is a test to see how much of the core code could be ported without
changing it, so that VisualWorks, Dolphin, and Squeak versions can be kept
in sync. I have tried to stay away from changing any code, other than moving
platform specific stuff into the platform layer.

I've been meaning to get the Squeak platform stuff completed (Developed in
Dolphin, :)) but my wife had another baby, and the new bub had to have an
operation so thats been absorbing my time.

Note: This _is_ Dolphin 6 specific due to the socket code. Could be easily
modded to run under 5 though. However I've dumped 5 completely now.

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Andy Bower-3
Chris,

> I see that Swazoo was not included in recent D6 distributions.  How
> can I obtain a copy of the package?  I see a D5 package here
> http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/download.html .
> Should I just use that, or is there a newer package that has been
> updated for D6?

We have a modified version of Steve Waring's Swazoo. This has been
upgraded to use the new D6 sockets and is the version we are going to
be using for running the production Object Arts website.

What is the general consensus as to how this should be made available?
I think we had it preloaded in the image in the original D6 (I can't
really remember) but then the opinion was that it was probably better
if we didn't do this. What are the general thoughts now about this sort
of goodie?

Best Regards

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Hi Andy,

Andy Bower escribió:
> We have a modified version of Steve Waring's Swazoo. This has been
> upgraded to use the new D6 sockets and is the version we are going to
> be using for running the production Object Arts website.

How can I get that version before Dx6 get publicly released?

I have an ongoing port of Seaside, which I would like to have
available as soon as the official release of Dx6 is made.
At least with the core functionality (which started to work last
night, see c.l.s.dolphin).
So I would be happy to have it tested with that version of Swazoo.

Other thing is that Spray uses the YAXO classes, but STS uses them
too, so what package will remain in the installation?

> What is the general consensus as to how this should be made available?
> I think we had it preloaded in the image in the original D6 (I can't
> really remember) but then the opinion was that it was probably better
> if we didn't do this. What are the general thoughts now about this sort
> of goodie?

I think this goodie, and others too, should be linked from the OA
website, or bundled with the installer, but not installed by default.

One of the most charming things of Dolphin is the limpid environment
it provides, if we overload it with many stuff that most people wont
use (in the beginning at least), we'll end having an enormous system
with half of the class library just adding noise, IMHO.

Best regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Ian Bartholomew-20
Andy,

> What is the general consensus as to how this should be made available?
> I think we had it preloaded in the image in the original D6 (I can't
> really remember) but then the opinion was that it was probably better
> if we didn't do this. What are the general thoughts now about this sort
> of goodie?

My feeling is that the base image itself should only contain packages
created or officially maintained by OA.  I would think Dolphin has
enough hooks to enable packages from other sources to be seamlessly
integrated into the base image.

It would be nice if packages created or maintained by others could be
included in the distribution (but not installed in the image) but ease
of updating included packages should be a consideration.  Something like
the package/class comments for all included goodies having a reference
to a WIKI page and that page containing current details on the goodie
and how to update it.

I should stress that I've no problem with the base image including
external goodies (the D6 image is going to include my my HistoryBrowser
after all :-)) but I think it would be easier, for OA, for the creators
of the goodies and for users, is some separation was maintained.

(Euro 0.02 available on request)

Ian

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Christopher J. Demers
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> We have a modified version of Steve Waring's Swazoo. This has been
> upgraded to use the new D6 sockets and is the version we are going to
> be using for running the production Object Arts website.
>
> What is the general consensus as to how this should be made available?
> I think we had it preloaded in the image in the original D6 (I can't
> really remember) but then the opinion was that it was probably better
> if we didn't do this. What are the general thoughts now about this sort
> of goodie?

It was included in at least the first D6 Beta released in this NG.  I know
because I used it.

I suppose I have mixed feelings about all the goodies included in the first
D6 beta.  I really liked having everything already loaded into an image
since it made it very easy for me to experiment with new things.  However I
can see how some may have felt there was too much in the image.  One
disadvantage to not including goodies is that it may take newbies a while to
become comfortable enough to load some in.  Then how do they know what the
most useful goodies are?

This may be too complex to implement right now, however I think it would be
great to have some kind of semi-formal (OA run or at least blessed and
linked to) directory of Dolphin Smalltalk goodies.  I think it would be neat
to allow people to create an account and maintain the data about their own
goodies.  When they update or release a new goodie they could update the
information themselves.  It would also be useful if other people could
increment a "usefulness" counter.  That way people could see what the most
generally useful goodies are.

As for the Swazoo code it sounds like the package you have is the one I
should get since it is what I started using in the first beta.  Just let me
know how I can get it.  I happen to have an expired EXE running so I
probably should redeploy and replace that soon. ;)

Chris

Re: Swazoo for D6?

TimM-3
> It would be nice if packages created or maintained by others could be
> included in the distribution (but not installed in the image) but ease of
> updating included packages should be a consideration.  Something like the
> package/class comments for all included goodies having a reference to a
> WIKI page and that page containing current details on the goodie and how
> to update it.

I like what Ian says - a goodie directory so that you can import something
like this. Maybe include a reference to it.

One of my favovorate msgs on the D5 mailing list was when someone listed all
of the current technologies and how you could use them in Dolphin - Spray,
Swazoo etc.

You kind of expect them to be there - although what would be even better is
a quick sample of how to use them. e.g. I'm trying Yaxo and while there are
examples of how to parse a document, there's not a hell of a lot that shows
how to use the nodes once you've got them. Really scratching my head on that
one - how do I visit all nodes... it seems that only the "write it out to
xml" method does this, and its got methods to do this built in - that don't
rely on a generic pass a block in type of mechanism... also there doesn't
seem to be an XPath implementation for ST?

Maybe we could put together something to be included (although time is
short?)

Tim

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Andy Bower-3
Esteban,

> How can I get that version before Dx6 get publicly released?
>
> I have an ongoing port of Seaside, which I would like to have
> available as soon as the official release of Dx6 is made.  At least
> with the core functionality (which started to work last night, see
> c.l.s.dolphin).  So I would be happy to have it tested with that
> version of Swazoo.

Ok, I've zipped up the "Steve Waring" goodies directory (which includes
Swazoo) and placed it here:

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/SteveWaringGoodies.zip

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Andy Bower escribió:
> Esteban,
>>How can I get that version before Dx6 get publicly released?

> Ok, I've zipped up the "Steve Waring" goodies directory (which includes
> Swazoo) and placed it here:
> http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/SteveWaringGoodies.zip

Thanks.

> Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Yes, con you or Blair confirm if the hack/patch proposed by Chris
Uppal to Continuation>>continue:with: is okay? (the thread is
"WAProcessMonitor>>critical:ifError:...")

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: Swazoo for D6?

Blair McGlashan
"Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Andy Bower escribió:
>> Esteban,
>>>How can I get that version before Dx6 get publicly released?
>
>> Ok, I've zipped up the "Steve Waring" goodies directory (which includes
>> Swazoo) and placed it here:
>> http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/SteveWaringGoodies.zip
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Let me know if there is anything else you need.
>
> Yes, con you or Blair confirm if the hack/patch proposed by Chris Uppal to
> Continuation>>continue:with: is okay? (the thread is
> "WAProcessMonitor>>critical:ifError:...")

The short answer is "No". A longer answer is in the original thread.

But don't let this dissuade you. I'm sure we can get it sorted, it's just
not the right time.

Regards

Blair